The Pheasant Inn...sheffield Lane Top

lysander

I read with some profound amazement that the now disused pub is liable to become a Mosque. A pub has been there on the side of the cross-roads since at least the 1840's and , when I started drinking as a teenager, in the 1960's, it was an extremely busy place and the focus of much community activity.

I was told, the other day, that Lillie Langtry and a a certain King would privately meet there ( in a room ...upstairs) on their way to spend weekends at Wentworth! I wonder if there is any truth in the tale?

I was told, the other day, that Lillie Langtry and a a certain King would privately meet there ( in a room ...upstairs) on their way to spend weekends at Wentworth! I wonder if there is any truth in the tale?

The affair ran from 1877 to 1880 so depending of the age of the current building you never know .

I think in the period mentioned there was an earlier building... the pub was certainly in existence in 1828...and the present building is much more recent...To add to the tale, it has been mentioned that the King was known to have visited the famous local Racing Stables...known as the "Paddocks" which were at the Lane Top...(then a part of Ecclesfield)

I remember playing Snooker there regularly. I can't remember whether it was in the Pub or next to it but i know you could walk into the Pheasant for a pint. I'm not going to sleep tonight!

The present building is an extension of the old one. It was built around the old building just like the old Cannon Hall was at Fir Vale. That was the same - the older part remained inside the new part.

Lyn