Albert Road?

kevstones

Looking at the 1881 census I have my great grandfather George Stones and his wife Eliza living at 2 Court 1 Albert Road Attercliffe cum Darnall

I 've asked about the whereabouts of Albert Road before and the answer has been in the vicinity of Janson Street and Cardiff Street in Attercliffe

But, I have gone back a couple of pages on the census and it brings you down Darnall Main Road to the Sportsman and Albert Inn at the bottom of what is now called Bridport Road.

Was Bridport Road once called called Albert Road? I know a lot of street names changed

On page 1 of the census for the area he mentions Candow Street and Ardmore and then Albert Road. For some reason he doesn't mention Wilfrid Road which in between Ardmore and Bridport ... just a thought. The census does mention that he covers from Church Street which is now Worksop Road and Shirland Lane which would lead you to the conclusion that Bridport Road may have been called Albert Road at one time and perhaps changed names when the courts were demolished and better housing put on it. The Albert Pub being at the bottom of the road is another clue.

Kevin

Looking at the 1881 census I have my great grandfather George Stones and his wife Eliza living at 2 Court 1 Albert Road Attercliffe cum Darnall

I 've asked about the whereabouts of Albert Road before and the answer has been in the vicinity of Janson Street and Cardiff Street in Attercliffe

But, I have gone back a couple of pages on the census and it brings you down Darnall Main Road to the Sportsman and Albert Inn at the bottom of what is now called Bridport Road.

Was Bridport Road once called called Albert Road? I know a lot of street names changed

On page 1 of the census for the area he mentions Candow Street and Ardmore and then Albert Road. For some reason he doesn't mention Wilfrid Road which in between Ardmore and Bridport ... just a thought. The census does mention that he covers from Church Street which is now Worksop Road and Shirland Lane which would lead you to the conclusion that Bridport Road may have been called Albert Road at one time and perhaps changed names when the courts were demolished and better housing put on it. The Albert Pub being at the bottom of the road is another clue.

Kevin

Spot on Kevin. Bridport Road has had three names. It started life as Albert Road, then in 1886 it became Bawtry Road. Then in 1907 it changed again to Bridport Road to avoid confusion with the other Bawtry Road.

That answers everything as to why he is listed at Albert Road then Bawtry Road and when he died in 1910 as living at Bridport Road. So, he never moved house.

Thanks for the reply and your help its much appreciated .... Kevin

Thanks for that. I have a 1903 map of Darnall and it shows it as Bawtry Road. Definitely Bridport from when I was a kid living in Frederick Street. Had a schoolmate in Bridport Road, Kevin Burns who went on to swim for GB in the commonwealth games.

Thanks again, I'll upload it to Ancestry

Kevin