Morgue At Hillsborough

Guest busy lizzy

Does anyone know anything about the buliding next to Hillsborough park that used to be a morgue?

Can you say exactly where abouts to the Park, would that be on Penistone Road end of the park

or on Middlewood Road near the Library?

Or Hawkesly Road or Parkside Road end ...

Can you say exactly where abouts to the Park, would that be on Penistone Road end of the park

or on Middlewood Road near the Library?

There was a Brightside & Carbrook (Sheffield) Co-operative Society Ltd building at 181 Middlewood Road (just by the junction with Dixon Road). (1957), that might provide some kind of clue ... maybe ... or not.

The lady wife what was brought up round Hillsborough has a vague recollection of a place somewhere at the Parkside end, but that's about all.

What year/decade/century are we looking for please ?

Does anyone know anything about the buliding next to Hillsborough park that used to be a morgue?

Guest busy lizzy

Hi everyone,thanks for all the replies.

One thing that is glaringly obvious is that I havent given enough information for you all to work on.

The morgue used to be on the Middlewood road end I think(sorry I am not from Hillsborough) and it is next to a nursery now,I think it is a boxing gym.

A friend told me it used to be a morgue but not the era it was.

Sorry I dont know any more than that.

Nursery kids or nursery plants ... ? :wacko:

Hi everyone,thanks for all the replies.

One thing that is glaringly obvious is that I havent given enough information for you all to work on.

The morgue used to be on the Middlewood road end I think(sorry I am not from Hillsborough) and it is next to a nursery now,I think it is a boxing gym.

A friend told me it used to be a morgue but not the era it was.

Sorry I dont know any more than that.

I wonder if the building referred to is Hillsborough Cottage on Middlewood Road at the top of Hawksley Avenue.

It's been there a long time and appears on 19th century maps.

It's a big building and looks as if it could have had some sort of official use at some time. Was it connected with the Social Security building next door at some point ?

It is next door to the kiddies nursery at the top of Hawksley Avenue in the old church hall / factory place.

HD

Postscript. Thinking about it further I wonder if it was connected with Hillsborough Hall in some way.

I wonder if the building referred to is Hillsborough Cottage on Middlewood Road at the top of Hawksley Avenue.

It's been there a long time and appears on 19th century maps.

It's a big building and looks as if it could have had some sort of official use at some time. Was it connected with the Social Security building next door at some point ?

It is next door to the kiddies nursery at the top of Hawksley Avenue in the old church hall / factory place.

HD

Is this it .. maps.google.co.uk/maps ?

This was my initial thought, on Middlewood Road itself always had a high stone wall.

To the right, stone built, viewable from Minto Road bottom.

Don't know how to do the maps thing.

No thats the nursery. The Hillsborough Cottage backs on to these buildings and is behind a stone wall on Middlewood Road.

You can probably get it on Streetview before I can.

HD

No beat you to it. :mellow:

Was looking at maps :P ,

think it is 108 Middlewood Road ?

1950's OS map #241

That's the stone wall I was talking about, used to be much taller with big gates. Couldn't see though the gates like now.

The Social place used to sell cars, that is where I saw the Bug 70 unvieled when I was 8 years old.

No thats the nursery. The Hillsborough Cottage backs on to these buildings and is behind a stone wall on Middlewood Road.

You can probably get it on Streetview before I can.

HD

No beat you to it. :mellow:

Next door to the car dealers/Social was The Umbrella Barbeque takeaway, my Mother worked there cleaning, I used to go along and "rumble" potatoes.

That's the stone wall I was talking about, used to be much taller with big gates. Couldn't see though the gates like now.

The Social place used to sell cars, that is where I saw the Bug 70 unvieled when I was 8 years old.

Before the social place sold cars I think it was a part of the various bits of the B & C Co-op along that road, eventually consolidated in the new building at the bottom of Dykes Hall Road. I think that bit sold furniture.

HD

Next door to the car dealers/Social was The Umbrella Barbeque takeaway, my Mother worked there cleaning, I used to go along and "rumble" potatoes.

I think that building used to be Howard's Dairy, famous for ice cream sold through a hatch and Edna May's Lemon Curd.

Their strawberry ice cream was to die for, I've never tasted better.

The lemon curd was made in a small factory within Burdall's Buildings (The Barracks). My wife worked there for a short time, they used only best butter, eggs, suger and real lemons.

HD

Before the social place sold cars I think it was a part of the various bits of the B & C Co-op along that road, eventually consolidated in the new building at the bottom of Dykes Hall Road. I think that bit sold furniture.

HD

I've found a photo of the Co-op on Picture Sheffield.

It's S16907

Is there a link-fairey in the house ?

HD

There still doesn't seem to be any connection to this building it being a morgue.

Did this Co-op used to be a funeral director ?