Morgue At Hillsborough

Guest busy lizzy

Building a nice picture of this building though ...

Hillsorough Cottage - awaiting any evidence, nursery is the only clue so far

Old Co-op buildings, near Dixon Street - possible ?

Near Lennox Road, Church building nearby (Hillsborough Trinity)

Parkside Road building - part of School, has had its Centenary, unlikely.

Any other possible buildings anyone please ? I've walked a "mental" route around the entire district; mental as in "in my head" not mental as in Middlewood Road, via Romford High Street ! Building presumably needs to be able to receive guests by vehicle.

Building opposite Keyworth Road - likely a Lodge but certainly next to a nursery "Walled Garden" ...

Any other possible buildings anyone please ?

Gap/new buildings looking up Leader Road (left hand side) ... I can confirm these were resedential mid-1970s. Visited Wilf van Heel there.

Any other possible buildings anyone please ?

Building a nice picture of this building though ...

Hillsorough Cottage - awaiting any evidence, nursery is the only clue so far

Old Co-op buildings, near Dixon Street - possible ?

Near Lennox Road, Church building nearby (Hillsborough Trinity)

Parkside Road building - part of School, has had its Centenary, unlikely.

Any other possible buildings anyone please ? I've walked a "mental" route around the entire district; mental as in "in my head" not mental as in Middlewood Road, via Romford High Street ! Building presumably needs to be able to receive guests by vehicle.

If we are looking for a building that had been used as a morgue at some time, could we be talking about a temporary morgue used at the time of the Sheffield flood of 1864 ?

I know that pubs and chapels were used as temporary morgues including the little chapel/sally army hall/garage opposite St. Polycarps and the original Yew Tree Inn. Perhaps someone has a copy of the Pawson & Brailsford book about the flood which goes into great detail, if I remember, about where the dead were laid for identification.

There was certainly great loss of life around Owlerton including some at the living quarters of the Barracks. Now there's a thought, the Barracks had a hospital and probably a morgue. Time to get the maps out.

Incidently in 1936 a Mr. Lehane, horticultural advisor was living in Hillsborough Cottage and his widow was still there in 1942.

In 1936 the building next door was a branch of Blanchards, but was a drapery dept of the B & C Co-op by 1942.

HD

If we are looking for a building that had been used as a morgue at some time, could we be talking about a temporary morgue used at the time of the Sheffield flood of 1864 ?

I know that pubs and chapels were used as temporary morgues including the little chapel/sally army hall/garage opposite St. Polycarps and the original Yew Tree Inn.

HD

The New Barrack Tavern was used for this purpose after the flood.

108 doesn't exist in 1957 Directory !

96, 98 & 100 Brightside & Carbrook (Sheffield) Co-operative Society Ltd, drapers.

.... Hawksley Avenue ...

Hillsborough Public Library (branch)

... Hillsborough Park ...

... Parkside Road ...

... Leppings Lane ...

174/176 Mrs Florence A. Belbin, grocer

Well it was certainly built at the time of the Great Sheffield Flood.

Perhaps it had some official function in those days, so I suppose it could have been used as a morgue.

HD

Census returns from 1861 through to 1911, all the same family. The street numbering changes a couple of times and Milner Road is now Minto Road. It would be surprising if they'd allowed its use for storing bodies during this time:

Names of those who died at Hawsley Avenue

PALMER Beatrice, age 22, of 39 Hawksley Avenue, daughter of Mr and Mrs Chapman of 32 Adkins Road; wife of Norman Mons Palmer. December 13 1940, at 39 Hawksley Avenue.

PALMER Gertrude, age 56, of 39 Hawksley Avenue, wife of S Palmer. December 13 1940, at 39 Hawksley Avenue.

PALMER Norman Mons, age 26, of Hawksley Avenue, son of S Palmer and of Gertrude Palmer; husband of Beatrice Palmer. December 13 1940, at 39 Hawksley Avenue.

Source

also (died 27/12/1940 at Wharncliffe Emergency Hospital).

Might have been very temporary ...

Guest busy lizzy

Hi,thanks for all the help on finding out about the building I mentioned

I am very impressed with all the research done

The building I am talking about is next to the childrens nursery and it can be seen on the photo on reply number 15

It is the building connected to the red brick building and its high roof can be seen

Rumors are it used to be a morgue and it is now a boxing gym

The information about Hillsborough cottage is fascinating but not the place I mean

Thanks again