Old Barns

dunsbyowl1867

Guest Trefcon

Nice one Dunsby, i've been meaning to start a thread about any Timber framed house's left in Sheffield.

I know where there are quite a few so need to get out again and start taking pic's.

I have a copy of 'Timber Framed Buildings in South Yorkshire' which is quite good, any one know where there is a timber framed builing in Sheffield? Got any pics?

Dean.

Nice one Dunsby, i've been meaning to start a thread about any Timber framed house's left in Sheffield.

I know where there are quite a few so need to get out again and start taking pic's.

I have a copy of 'Timber Framed Buildings in South Yorkshire' which is quite good, any one know where there is a timber framed builing in Sheffield? Got any pics?

Dean.

I'd assume but am probably wrong? Bishops House? Queens Head ? Cruck Barn in Concord Park?

Guest Trefcon

Yep, they'll do.

These i took of the Cruck barn in Concorde the other week.

The rotten end of one of the Cruck's and the brace to stop the wall 'bellying' out.

I've spotted a few at Ecclesfield and else where so i'll snap these when i can.

Dean.

The rotten end of one of the Cruck's and the brace to stop the wall 'bellying' out.

I've spotted a few at Ecclesfield and else where so i'll snap these when i can.

Dean.

Isn't it appalling - I remember when i was at school in the 1970s it was regularly mentioned how important the cruck barn but there is never the commitment to safeguard these important buildings. I think Brian Woodriff mentioned he was trying to persuade the council to turn the barn into a historical centre at one time.

You are right - I noticed some in Ecclesfield a few weeks ago

snip.....

Dean.

That will be Ryders's book ??

I think that cruck building in Concord Park was the old tithe barn for Ecclesfield Priory. Great photos BTW, - especially with the snow :) Hatfield House on Hatfield House lane is a cruck building - I had an unauthorised peek inside when it was being modernised many years ago. This house is reputed to be what remains of Renathorpe Hall.

There is book by Bessie Bunker on Cruck Buildings covering S Yorks and N Derbs. with a list of buildings she found. This was published 1970 so some then existing on the list may now have disappeared.

Guest Trefcon

Thanks for the list's Gramps, excellent.

I think theres a couple on Hatfiled, i live ronud the corner so they'll get a visit.

Dean.

The book i have is the South Yorkshire County Council Archaeology Monograph No.1.

( sorry Gramps, looking inside it is Ryder)

Guest Trefcon

Dunsby, the ones at Ecclesfield look really interesting. One is a sandwich shop i use to stop at last year, when you go inside most of the timber frame is on view, brilliant!

Dean.

There are 3 pages of photos under 'cruck barns' on Picture Sheffield

one example

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s04168

Guest Trefcon

Hatfield House floor plan.

Cruck barn to the top left.

A few dates.

Sheffield antiquarian T. Walter Hall suggest's a link with the Danish settlement of 'Reynoldthorpe'. There was a 'John', son of Peter the carpenter of 'Reynoldsthorpe' in 1300 who may have been the owner.

1500 - The house and two farms and a blacksmith bought by Nicholas Hatfield, he left the house in his will of July 1558 to his son Alexander.

1596 - Alexanders son Ralph moves to Laughton near Rotherham.

1637 - Widow Margaret Tricket holds part of the farm and house. The name 'Renathorpe Hall' appears about this time.

1649 - Richard Rawson, Tennant, followed by his son also Richard.

Other tennants that followed were James Timperley and William Staniforth.

1727 - Tennants, Margaret Carre, william her son, John Carre, Ralph Priest, Nicholas Carre and Samuel Carre.

Joseph Hunter's forebears lived there in the 18th century.

William Hunter in 1700.

1841 - Challoner family, said to have owned it for two hundred years.

1981 - The old stone floor is ripped up and replaced with concrete!!!

Apparently there were two cannon on cast iron bogies in the front garden before WW2, but these were melted down during the war!!

Dean.

Hatfield House floor plan.

Cruck barn to the top left.

A few dates.

Sheffield antiquarian T. Walter Hall suggest's a link with the Danish settlement of 'Reynoldthorpe'. There was a 'John', son of Peter the carpenter of 'Reynoldsthorpe' in 1300 who may have been the owner.

1500 - The house and two farms and a blacksmith bought by Nicholas Hatfield, he left the house in his will of July 1558 to his son Alexander.

1596 - Alexanders son Ralph moves to Laughton near Rotherham.

1637 - Widow Margaret Tricket holds part of the farm and house. The name 'Renathorpe Hall' appears about this time.

1649 - Richard Rawson, Tennant, followed by his son also Richard.

Other tennants that followed were James Timperley and William Staniforth.

1727 - Tennants, Margaret Carre, william her son, John Carre, Ralph Priest, Nicholas Carre and Samuel Carre.

Joseph Hunter's forebears lived there in the 18th century.

William Hunter in 1700.

1841 - Challoner family, said to have owned it for two hundred years.

1981 - The old stone floor is ripped up and replaced with concrete!!!

Apparently there were two cannon on cast iron bogies in the front garden before WW2, but these were melted down during the war!!

Dean.

Is this Hatfield House?

Is this Hatfield House?

Dean, the building in your photo was known as Greave's farm in 1960. I suspect the cruck building is the one in the background on the left - I'm pretty sure the one I looked at was gable end to the road.

Here's a picture of Greave's farm (also known as Hatfield House) in 1960

In the 1850s there was quite a large complex of buildings there, - farmhouse, barn, cowsheds and a couple of cottages probably.

Guest Trefcon

The sandwhich shop before and interior after, at Ecclesfield. This is at Yew Lane (once known as Hill Top), it was a brick faced building with a tiled roof, then when it was converted to a bakery the Cruck frame was revealed.

The photo of the revealed frame is 1984.

Guest Trefcon

Half timbered Tudor cottage. This once stood on the corner of Feoffees Road and High Street, Ecclesfield.

Apologies about the quality of the images's of this and Feoffees Hall, these were given to me by the lady in the chip shop at Ecclesfield today!

Half timbered Tudor cottage. This once stood on the corner of Feoffees Road and High Street, Ecclesfield.

Apologies about the quality of the images's of this and Feoffees Hall, these were given to me by the lady in the chip shop at Ecclesfield today!

We need more Chip shoppe inspired photos lol

Then there is this clump of buildings, also Ecclesfield. Possible timber framed?

Dean, think the small workshop on the left of the top photo is natable as one of the last remailing file cutters workshops in the village

There's a listed cruck barn at Priest Hill Farm above Forge dam, and I believe one of the cottages at Whiteley Wood Green has crucks inside.

Priest Hill farm also has a listed dovecote, which consists of three openings in a gable end!