Joel's, Church Street

lysander

With all the interest the Redgates thread has caused I wonder how many can remember another Sheffield model shop which was situated on the same side of the road as the Cathedral ,toward Leopold Street. It closed many years ago.

Yes, I remember going there in the early 1950s to top up my growing Hornby Dublo collection! If memory serves correctly the model railway department was downstairs and one had to be careful not to tread on a railway track which actually passed through the stairs about half way down! I believe they also had a shop in Bakewell at one time and remember going to find it on an Sunday afternoon trip but it was empty. I believe the whole area in Church Street was redeveloped about twenty years later.

I must admit I've never heard of that one at all, but our route through town in those days to my Gran's at Clarence Street never took us up Church Street. It's odd now to think how limited my knowledge of town was until I was old enough to go on my own and roamed a bit more widely!

I well remember the railway department was downstairs and also I remember the track as you walked downstairs....Funny, I had it my head that the full name was "Gordon Joel"!

Of course. in the 1950's the other little( and big )boys mecca was Hobbies. How many of today's kids would save up their pocket money for a fret saw I wonder!