El Mambo Club Union Street

penknife

Does any one remember the El Mambo coffee Bar Sheffields first den of iniquity it was located in the Cambridge Arcade situated between Pinstone Street and Union Street..

This glorious Arcade was some how allowed to be demolished by our council.

In the late 50's and early 60's the Mambo was the place where Sheffields more coloufull folk hung out inc local hard cases, Teddy Boys, ladies of the night, and the teenagers who were just there for the Juke Box and Pin ball machines.

It was also the place where you would meet recent imigrants from the West Indies and to say that the place could get a little lively at times is an understatment to say the least.

Any memories on this blast from the past any one.

I remember the El Mambo and also being told by my dad what happened to people who went into places like that. I am 70 now and his prophesies are still waiting to be fulfilled!

Black walls. Down some stairs off Moorhead (I think) I expect the juke box played mainly Tommy Steel, Bill Haley and Heartbreak Hotel by Elvis Presley. It was a 'happening' but I cannot rememeber repeating the visit.

Welcome to the site Jumbo and thank you for your input. :)

Black walls. Down some stairs off Moorhead (I think) I expect the juke box played mainly Tommy Steel, Bill Haley and Heartbreak Hotel by Elvis Presley. It was a 'happening' but I cannot rememeber repeating the visit.

Cambridge Arcade Sheffield.jpg

We need to find photos of this place!

El Mambo - was it actually in Cambridge Arcade?

It had a fierce reputation - I've learnt that much so far!

There's rumours that El Mambo Coffee Bar in Sheffield had names for each floor within it?

The ground floor was called Heaven and the basement (which had a loud juke box) was called Hell. They sold frothy coffee from a noisy machine!

It was "cool" to be seen there

Is that right?

Anyone got any photos of the place?

On 31/01/2013 at 22:05, RichardB said:

Welcome to the site Jumbo and thank you for your input. :)

If I remember it right, downstairs was split into three areas.

Each area had it’s own jukebox.  Sounds like Hell as it was called.

One afternoon a young girl  started flashing a knife around so we got out quick never went again.

On 31/12/2016 at 18:00, Sheffield History said:

Cambridge Arcade Sheffield.jpg

We need to find photos of this place!

El Mambo - was it actually in Cambridge Arcade?

It had a fierce reputation - I've learnt that much so far!

Maybe it changed hands and became 'The Copper Coin'? However, it must have had a makeover and change of clientele, as it looks more like where you'd meet the vicar for tea, than some of the goings-on at 'El Mambo'?!

On the subject of cafes, I vaguely remember me being taken to the Piccolo cafe (top of Cambridge St.) by my Mum, to meet my Nan and be dragged around the shops most Saturdays. I seem to recall that was an Italian coffee shop (as the name would imply) and even though I was barely out of my pram, I can still picture the steamed up windows and the sound and smells from the huge coffee machine in the place.

Some shots on PS, but only from the outside and long range.

On 01/01/2017 at 20:09, jiginc said:

If I remember it right, downstairs was split into three areas.

Each area had it’s own jukebox.  Sounds like Hell as it was called.

One afternoon a young girl  started flashing a knife around so we got out quick never went again.

The ground floor was a standard cafe used by shoppers and not a problem area at all. The entrance was from union street.

Down below there were two rooms, on with black walls painted with red demons and dragons - Hell. The other had light blue walls with cherubs painted on - Heaven

Hell had a pintable and there were two juke boxes  Later athrd room was opened downstairs which had very ordinary decor and no atmosphere  

There were certainly many colourful characters frequenting the lower rooms and always well filled  But the Mambo’s bad reputation was greatly exaggerated although there was one scandal which made the front page of “News of the World”  I had good times there and, at 82 I still have come to no harm.