Cornish Street

roy1942

Bet this chap had a bit to do with the residential properties on and around Cornish Street : John Cook,

Carpenter, Joiner and Builder, 4 Cornish Street (Slaters 1846)

Joiner and Builder, 4 Cornish Street (Kelly's 1849 and White's 1852)

4 Cornish Street later shows as an Eating House, under Thomas H Porter; nothing however to say its not been renumbered etc.

Bet this chap had a bit to do with the residential properties on and around Cornish Street : John Cook,

Carpenter, Joiner and Builder, 4 Cornish Street (Slaters 1846)

Joiner and Builder, 4 Cornish Street (Kelly's 1849 and White's 1852)

4 Cornish Street later shows as an Eating House, under Thomas H Porter; nothing however to say its not been renumbered etc.

I think this remained a eating house up to demolition probably mid/late 60's.

on my grandparents marriage certificate they down as living on cornish st & getting married at st phillips church dec 1896 i suppose they could have been lodging with some one. one of the whitness was called A E KNIGHT but no sign of him on the 1897 electrol roll as living on cornish st

Guest Howard Mason

Thank you so much for the replies to this post. I have recently, (with the help of some one who has some experience), traced my family history. I found out that my great great grandfather Samuel Mason lived at 2 Cornish st. I can't tell you guys how pleased I was to see his name on the post by Steve HB.

He was indeed a Tin worker, born in Stradsett in Norfolk in 1854.

Thanks again.

Howard

He got about a bit ...

336 Shalesmoor (Kelly's 1893)

48 Matthew Street (White's 1905)

92 Scotland Street (White's 1911)

Tinplate worker throughout.

Thank you so much for the replies to this post. I have recently, (with the help of some one who has some experience), traced my family history. I found out that my great great grandfather Samuel Mason lived at 2 Cornish st. I can't tell you guys how pleased I was to see his name on the post by Steve HB.

He was indeed a Tin worker, born in Stradsett in Norfolk in 1854.

Thanks again.

Howard

Guest Howard Mason
He got about a bit ... 336 Shalesmoor (Kelly's 1893) 48 Matthew Street (White's 1905) 92 Scotland Street (White's 1911) Tinplate worker throughout.
Please explain what the above references refer too.

If it's is the same man it is where he lived and when - shown as tinplate worker called Samuel Mason at each of those addresses on the dates shown.

He got about a bit ...

336 Shalesmoor (Kelly's 1893)

48 Matthew Street (White's 1905)

92 Scotland Street (White's 1911)

Tinplate worker throughout.

Guest Howard Mason
If it's is the same man it is where he lived and when - shown as tinplate worker called Samuel Mason at each of those addresses on the dates shown.
Thank you Richard, sorry to be so thick. Would it be possible for me to search for this information myself as I would like to trace Samuels son, (my great grandfather) Frank Arnold Mason. He appears on the 1901 census living at 2 Cornish street, aged 8 yo. We haven't been able to find him on the 1911 census. I know he got married in Rotherham in 1913 to Fanny Hopkins. Any help will be much appreciated.

can anyone pinpoint were no56 cornish inn, vict charles marchall,no80 which was steel works & no100 were william & ann guest lived these addresses are on the 1901 census RG13/4364

brilliant! steveHB good bit of detective work, am i right in assuming the lowest house number starts nearest the town hall.

Yes that is correct, here is Cornish Street in 1925,

note; the absence of #56 (Cornish Inn).