Harrison's Survey Of The Manor Of Sheffield 1637

Stuart0742

What do we know about this,

It has been mentioned on here before and there is a very old map available (1630's) of the manor to go with it.

Do a bit of searching on the site, I'm sure it's on here somewhere.

Unfortunately the map that accompanied the Survey has been lost, but a reconstruction based on later Fairbank surveys combined with the details from the Harrison Survey has been produced by Scurfield.

(If anyone's interested there's a facsimile copy of the survey still available, brand new, mint condition, about £70. Alternatively there's at least one copy still available for loan in the City Libraries. Our Gramps was working on a fully searchable version before he passed away. A shame he didn't get to finish it, it would have been a fitting legacy.)

Did a bit of research on this in connection with Sheffield Park. The origin of it is connected with the change over from the Talbot to Howard Family. When Thomas Howard married the last heir to the Talbot estates, Alethia Talbot, the Sheffield properties thus passed to the Howard family. The Howards of course would later at the restoration of the monarchy in 1660 would become the Dukes of Norfolk. However at the time of the survey they were not, having lost the title in 1572 with the execution of the 4th Duke. At the time of the survey, Thomas was just the Earl of Arundel. Nethier did they get hold of the estates at the marriage. For Gilbert Talbot's widow was still alive. But when she died in 1632 they passed to Thomas.

Now if you look in Hunter's Hallamshire you will find a mention in 1633 of surveyors at Sheffield Castle. Joseph Hunter thought these might have been in connection with Sheffield Castle and repairs. But taking into account the switch over in the estates ownership and the MASSIVE size of the survey, my belief is that this was the start of Harrison's Survey. And the date of 1637 when it was completed and handed over. Clearly Thomas wanted to know what he had just inherited.

Harrison himself was John Harrison from South Lopham in Norfolk. Very obviously a strong connection with the Earl as they still held the Norfolk estates, even if they did not have the title.

The survey itself at the time stated what would bring the most proft to the Earl. For example the Water Mills and Coal Pits brought in £166! And Sheffield town was full of Tan offices, part of the leather industry, the Tan itself being Tanic acid, got from the bark of Oak trees. An industry that would have made Sheffield a very smelly place :wacko:

But for us today the most useful peice of infrormation in the survey is the classification of grasslands as either pasture, meadow and arable. This tells us the origins of these lands and what they were used for. For instance Meadow and Pasture started out as woodland that had been cleared, though pasture might have still the stumps of trees in it. Meadow was however cleared as it was mown for hay then grazed.

Meadow is found near water. They were on flood plains, which are a problem to us, but were a profitable to them. You see when rivers flood they bring down soil and nutrients from upstream and when they reach the flood plain slow down so much they drop this on the ground. This becomes the best fertilizer going and makes excellent hay! Which for them turned a decent profit. These meadows to us are water meadows and are so rare these days have to be protected from proft making firms. Ironc that they were once profit making themselves.

In 1877 the Sheffield Independent were loaned a copy of an old transcript of Harrison’s 1637 survey. The transcript had apparently belonged to John Beattie, a steward of the manor during the early 1700s. The Independent serialised some extracts in their Notes and Queries column from July to December 1877.

I will post those I have found and though it would be useful to OCR the whole lot to make them searchable, I don’t have the time, especially in view of the poor quality of some of them. Instead I will put in some key words and names by each article.

Eric Youle has some information on his website (which I find difficult to navigate, with missing files and annoying adverts) including an index of names and places:

http://youle.info/history-blog/sheffield-historical/books-3/harrisons-survey-of-the-manor-of-sheffield-1637/opening-pages/

In 1877 the Sheffield Independent were loaned a copy of an old transcript of Harrison’s 1637 survey. The transcript had apparently belonged to John Beattie, a steward of the manor during the early 1700s. The Independent serialised some extracts in their Notes and Queries column from July to December 1877.

I will post those I have found and though it would be useful to OCR the whole lot to make them searchable, I don’t have the time, especially in view of the poor quality of some of them. Instead I will put in some key words and names by each article.

Eric Youle has some information on his website (which I find difficult to navigate, with missing files and annoying adverts) including an index of names and places:

The introduction to the Ronksley transcript includes the following:

'The Worksop Survey, having been reproduced in Mr. Robert White's "Dukery Records", is not included in this book, which is confined to the Manors of Sheffield, Cowley, Ecclesfield and certain "foreign lands" outside their borders, as contained in the two copies known to be in existence. There are good grounds for believing that both of these were made in the reign of Charles II. One, in the possession of Mr. William Fox Tibbitts, descendant of Mr. William Hoyle, a well-known local attorney of the later 18th and earlier 19th centuries, was made in the reign of Charles II.It appears to have belonged to Mr. John Battie, steward of the Manor in the first half of the 18th century, and during that period largely concerned in the legal affairs of the town. ...It is [this copy] which Mr. Ronksley ...has transcribed verbatim."

Apparently the work was paid for by Mr. Arthur Wightman, for whom it was privately printed in 1908.

Excuse my ignorance in these matters but can anyone explain a few things for me.

In trying to trace the origins of my "Skelton" ancestry I hit a brick wall in the late 1700's but find the earliest mention of the name so far with the Widow Elizabeth Skelton being mentioned in the Hansworth area.

I am unsure if she is any relative but a few things interested me.

She is listed as a "tennant at Will" what does that mean?

She also has by the standards of the day a very large amount of land so what did the job of park keeper entail especially as I assume she was the widow of a park keeper

What other records from that era would be available to see if she had children, not being familiar with the area what would be the parish church at the time? and what areas of modern Sheffield did the park cover?

She is listed as a "tennant at Will" what does that mean?

She also has by the standards of the day a very large amount of land so what did the job of park keeper entail especially as I assume she was the widow of a park keeper

What other records from that era would be available to see if she had children, not being familiar with the area what would be the parish church at the time? and what areas of modern Sheffield did the park cover?

A tenant at will was just a standard tenant - they paid rent to a landlord (in this case Thomas Howard) and could be removed at the will of the landlord, and could not pass the property on to their decendants.

A park-keeper would not be chasing kids off the flower beds, but would be working on the upkeep of the Lord of the Manor's deer-park, so would be what we understand as a game-keeper.

Records from the era are sketchy - the Sheffield Parish Registers 1560 -1635 are here:

http://archive.org/search.php?query=sheffield%20parish%20register%20AND%20mediatype%3Atexts

Other sources would include the Sheffield Manorial Records (proceedings of the Lords court), T.Walter Hall's Catalogue of Ancient Charters, Apprentice records especially R.E.Leaders History of the Company of Cutlers (vol 2).

The extent of the park is detailed here:

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/11774-sheffield-deer-park/

Elizabeth Skelton almost certainly lived in a building that would later become Paddock Farm on the Arbourthorne area of Sheffield Park. She also held what is now known as Buck Wood, but called Berrystorth Wood in the survey and also Newfield Green.

The Skelton's are still around the Newfield Green and Gleadless area cropping up in the enclosure awards. If you can trace your ancestry back to any of those in Newfield Green or Gleadless. then I would have thought that you are 99% related to her!

Just like to point out another thing related to Harrison's Survey. That is the distinction between the land terms that he uses. He uses 3 terms: Arable, Meadow and Pasture.

These are very significant, as they tell us how these pieces of land were used and their origins.

Meadow and Pasture are grasslands, but both started out as woodland that had been cleared. Pasture had not been completely cleared of stumps however. Meadow had been as it was mown for hay and then grazed by cattle etc.

Meadow was found near water that flooded. Hence the term Water Meadows. Rivers such as the Sheaf in flood would bring down fine soil from upstream and deposit this on the these flood plains, this made excellent plant food. So these produced a verity of wild flowers many of which are very rare today. These water meadows would bring in lots of money as hay was the main feed of horses.

Arable fields would have most likely a sandstone wall around them to prevent animals eating crops. They were farmed on a 3 year rotation. For two years crops such as barley, wheat, rye, oats were grown on them. Then the following year left empty and cattle allowed in to provide manure for the next years crops

Thanks for all the info chaps,spent a few hours looking through already

The oldest definately date i have so far is James Skelton born in 1780 (ish) Think his father may have been John Skelton but not 100% on that.

The family around that era were farming in Handsworth.

My thoughts were looking at the survey that there were only a couple of Skeltons so maybe they had a common ancester from the area especially if they stayed farming the same land.

Only guessing but hoping to join them together someday. Also looking through the 1560 -1635 archives but may need to brush up on my latin

A newspaper cutting relating to a robbery of Mr James Skelton of Handsworth - I suppose we'll never be sure if it's the one you're on the trail of:

A couple of advertisements here relating to a James Skelton farming at Charnock Hall:

And a cutting about James' son John being attacked at Hollins End in 1832:

That's very interesting.Where do you find all this info Edmund, much appreciated

The family on 1842 census are:

James SKELTON 60 Hollins End 1331/5 2 30b Handsworth

Sarah SKELTON 55 Hollins End 1331/5 2 30b Handsworth

John SKELTON 25 Hollins End 1331/5 2 30b Handsworth

Elizabeth SKELTON 20 Hollins End 1331/5 2 30b Handsworth

Ellen SKELTON 17 Hollins End 1331/5 2 30b Handsworth

Hannah SKELTON 15 Hollins End 1331/5 2 30b Handsworth

James SKELTON 14 Hollins End 1331/5 2 30b Handsworth

Sophia SKELTON 10 Hollins End 1331/5 2 30b Handsworth

So the newspaper clip refering to a John son of James could be one and the same. I also see that the sale of goods was at the time the lease ended on the farm in 1832.

By 1851 James had died but the family still show as farmers (did they sell up on one and start again fron scratch?)

Maybe John Skelton was doing a bit of roadworks with his two cartloads of cinders, nearest thing to a family heirloom i have found so far !

Would Carnock hall and any of the lands mentioned have any connection with the parts of the old Sheffield Manor mentioned in Harrisons survey?

James Skelton appears to have supported the Whigs - he voted for Viscount Milton and Viscount Morpeth in the 1841 elections. By coincidence Charnock Hall is a few entries above.

That's very interesting.Where do you find all this info Edmund, much appreciated

The family on 1842 census are:

James SKELTON 60 Hollins End 1331/5 2 30b Handsworth

Sarah SKELTON 55 Hollins End 1331/5 2 30b Handsworth

John SKELTON 25 Hollins End 1331/5 2 30b Handsworth

Elizabeth SKELTON 20 Hollins End 1331/5 2 30b Handsworth

Ellen SKELTON 17 Hollins End 1331/5 2 30b Handsworth

Hannah SKELTON 15 Hollins End 1331/5 2 30b Handsworth

James SKELTON 14 Hollins End 1331/5 2 30b Handsworth

Sophia SKELTON 10 Hollins End 1331/5 2 30b Handsworth

So the newspaper clip refering to a John son of James could be one and the same. I also see that the sale of goods was at the time the lease ended on the farm in 1832.

By 1851 James had died but the family still show as farmers (did they sell up on one and start again fron scratch?)

Maybe John Skelton was doing a bit of roadworks with his two cartloads of cinders, nearest thing to a family heirloom i have found so far !

Would Carnock hall and any of the lands mentioned have any connection with the parts of the old Sheffield Manor mentioned in Harrisons survey?

The cartload of cinders would probably be in connection with coal mining or smelting, charcoal. Either transporting them to the place it was carried out or away from it. The area is littered with that sort of activity. There are even place names that use the word in them.

None of the lands including Charnock Hall were part of the Sheffield Manor of 1637. Gleadless was part of the Handsworth Parish, plus was owned by the owner of the Woodthorpe estate, who later resided at Woodthorpe Hall and so was outside the Manor of Sheffield. Charnock Hall itself was outside even the Handsworth Parish, as it was in Derbyshire.

Thats interesting because the Woodthorpe arms and Plumbley farm come into the equasion later.

But going back to "History Dudes" comment:

The Skelton's are still around the Newfield Green and Gleadless area cropping up in the enclosure awards. If you can trace your ancestry back to any of those in Newfield Green or Gleadless. then I would have thought that you are 99% related to her.

I note that in Harrisons survey she had "a part of the park incosed with a lodge therin lying between common pasture called Gladaless Moore (Gleadless?)" and "pasture between hunter hill meadow north and the lands of the Manor of Handsworth"

How do the Newfield Green and Gleadless enclosure awards tie in with Elizabeth living on the Sheffield Manor in 1637?

This 1795 map shows how the land still used the park boundary to separate the Manor Of Handsworth from Sheffield.

Gleadless moor would have been open land and the enclosures awards would have fenced this land in. The lodge of Skelton was probably on the site of Paddock farm. The area was very close to what would become the area where Skelton's would farm later on. Skelton also owned as part of her numbers 92 and 93. Number 92 being the Newfield Green that the place was named after!