Victoria Hall

Sheffield History

VICTORIA HALL

Victoria Hall Methodist Church, Norfolk Street, Sheffield S1 2JB

INFORMATION

We are currently researching Victoria Hall which has a very interesting history.

If you can help out with any details or information please post below and let us know !

PICTURES

Just found this because I was looking for the hall's history. Back in 1958 I was part of a choir selected from Sheffield's Lifeboys, the Boys Brigade's equivalent to the Cubs, which performed various songs throughout the night, maybe nights, at the 50th celebrations of the opening of the Victoria Hall in September 1908. I have no programme for the show and at this distance cannot remember much about it. I can remember the rehearsals which involved climbing innumerable stairs to rooms in, or just under, the roof, with tunes thumped out on a piano. Most of the songs we sang seemed to be soldier's songs from WWi & WWII plus some of the more innocuous popular songs from between the wars - I think, not sure on any except there were a lot of soldier's patriotic songs. I can't remember what other things were part of the show.  JohnB

I went to Firth Park Grammar School and during the 1950's, we held our annual "Speech Day" at Victoria Hall. I believe the hall was also used by a few other schools for concerts etc.

I attended the odd Sunday service over the years.

A Boys Brigade company (1st Sheffield) was formed in 1889 at Norfolk Street Wesley Chapel. This chapel was replaced on the same site  by the Victoria Hall in 1908. The BB company there continued  for many years until being closed sometime in period 1960 -1980. The Sheffield Battalion of The Boys Brigade held an Annual Battalion Parade to the Victoria Hall for many years.

Like my mate johnm I spent many happy hours in the Victoria Hall.In the 60's. One of my best memories was meeting Sir John Hunt who was promoting the Duke of Edinburgh's Award at the time. Also attending  concert by the Danish equivalent of our Boy's Brigade. -F.D.F.   Very good they were as well. 

I won the Firth Park GS chess championship about  1950 and photo was in the Sheffield Telegraph of me receiving the trophy at the Victoria Hall.

Tony Cowley

Richmond BC

Canada

• Like 1

I used to walk past it every day, as Chapel Walk was on my route home from King Ted's to Gleadless. I also went to a few services there with my friend and his parents.

I may have got this wrong, but did they have exhibitions there? About 1962 I went to a model railway exhibition in some large hall in Sheffield, and got a photo of me me admiring a model railway layout printed in the 'Star'. I really can't remember if it was Victoria Hall or somewhere else.

7 hours ago, Athy said:

I may have got this wrong, but did they have exhibitions there?

I can't say one way or the other, but there are other large rooms which could have held an exhibition, not just the main hall (known as the Church). There is a large room in the basement and a fairly large room on the top floor.

12 hours ago, Athy said:

did they have exhibitions there?

There were many different things happening at the Victoria Hall, I did go to a small private exhibition of sorts which was linked with a prize giving related to the trade I was in., I also remember going to a kid's party there and in later days a conference. 

Here is an exhibition about 1948 of church furniture made in the SSAHS workshops at Dundee.

(C) Picture Sheffield        ---------       http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;arc00337&pos=1&action=zoom&id=94466

exhibition_victoria_hall.jpg

My Gran was a cleaner at Victoria Hall back in the 1950's I remember going in to work with her sometimes during school holidays,

Was always fascinated with the huge organ in the main hall with the pipes going all round the walls. 

Sheffield History Reporter Archives & Local Studies Newsletter Issue No129 Aug/Sept 2008

Compiled by Mike Spi*k

Mike always had this problem, the system never liked his name and censored it. Sorry Mike! 

IMG_20221203_082638.thumb.jpg.56eb78cc500fa0d2417f52f34af26b6e.jpg

IMG_20221203_082805.thumb.jpg.1c5061ce9d2a09dd365c6327d3ef2d3d.jpg

High Storrs Girls Grammar School used to hold their Annual Carol Concert in the Victoria Hall until renovation required a change of venue to the City Hall. 

For an 11 year old girl it was quite an experience with the school all seated in year groups on the balcony wearing our green and white checked blouses and green and blue striped ties. The hall darkened at the start and senior girls entered from the back of the hall carrying candle lit lanterns on long poles while the whole school sang "Masters in this Hall, hear the news today..." 

The concert continued with readings enactments and carols sung by the whole school and school choir. Audience participating on certain carols and each year group had their carol to sing. All the carols were rehearsed meticulously conducted by music teacher Miss Weaver and learnt by heart. No carol sheets were allowed! The balcony was only lit when we sang and during the year group carol they would be the only ones lit. 

The singing was accompanied by Miss Weaver playing the organ, it was always said she conducted things with her back and the whole school responded at the right time, quietly standing in unison. When we moved to the City Hall and the organ on the stage alongside the choir, one year I was priveliged to be in the choir seated next to the organ and was required to stand at Miss Weavers signal, then the whole school would stand. However she got the whole school to get the timing right in the Victoria Hall was amazing. A very special lady. 

I do remember the balcony creaked a bit when walking to your seat. Perhaps that's why they removed it.