Green Lane Works & Eagle Works, Kelham

Guest FraserS

It was the Kelham Tavern first, then the Alma (I remember visiting The Alma in late 1979, then the Fat Cat.

Thanks. So the Fat Cat was once Alma Public House?

Kelham Tavern used to be The White Hart (again I've been in there late 1970's), prior to 1840's it was The Sawmakers ...

The Kelham Island Tavern is 62 Russel Street and the numbers seem to increase as you go towards Horseman Works.

This is the boiler my grandfather was in charge of, he died 1935 from lead poisoning, so I was told by his daughter. She said at night he used to prepare the lead beds for the file cutters so they crack on in the morning. (I have a pic of him)

My dad told me there was a huge fly wheel with spokes, invisible to a cat that tried to walk through!

On the reverse in old pencil, it says Eagle Works, Peace

So this I imagine was at the base of the chimney in the pics

I note with interest the mention of A. Scott, upholstery manufacturer in 1933. About 1965 I was sent to wire up a timer for a heating system at a company in the gatehouse. Whilst working I watched them upholstering a settee. I don't know if it was still A. Scott then but upholstery was still being done as late as that.

I note with interest the mention of A. Scott, upholstery manufacturer in 1933. About 1965 I was sent to wire up a timer for a heating system at a company in the gatehouse. Whilst working I watched them upholstering a settee. I don't know if it was still A. Scott then but upholstery was still being done as late as that.

1965 directory.

Scott A. (Duride) Ltd. who, upholsterers, Green Lane works.

A question...

This Picture Sheffield image shows the bust of Henry Elliott Hoole from the inner pediment of the arch at Green Lane Works.

You can see the location from a distance on some of the photos above. They suggest it is wholly or partially missing.
This (older) image from Flickr (which can be zoomed successfully) confirms that there is only an ugly hole where the bust used to be.

Can anyone tell me if the bust is lost or has been taken away for safe-keeping?

On 18/08/2014 at 19:02, SteveHB said:

1965 directory.

Scott A. (Duride) Ltd. who, upholsterers, Green Lane works.

I started work at A.Scott (Duride)Ltd., in 1955 straight from school. If they had been there since 1933 I don't think the Tyzack Company had ever been there. I was told that Hooles had been there and the history. I was there until 1963 working in the office and they definitely were still making upholstery items. It was like a family firm and I knew the different departments well. They even had a canteen when I first worked there. Have enjoyed looking at the photos I could pick out as being Green Lane Works and remembering what they had been used for. When you first walked through the gateway on the right hand side was the Caretakers house.       

Messrs. H. E. Hoole & Co, Green Lane Works. 

IMG_20230105_120640.thumb.jpg.5da0143889fdd70bfcd6899dbbe1ebf9.jpgIMG_20230105_121048.jpg.a0b46b1111afc279d98972fa669e1b9c.jpgIMG_20230105_121310.jpg.aef5cb3f2b97d4156e606c2c98f358fb.jpg

IMG_20230105_120936.thumb.jpg.32eaa194dbd0d437f6f3e388ee02b2a1.jpg

From Illustrated Guide to Sheffield, Pawson & Brailsford 1862. 

Sheffield Flood Claim

Henry Elliott Hoole, Manufacturer, Green Lane Works. 

Lists employees compensation. 

https://sheffieldfloodclaimsarchive.shu.ac.uk/claimSummary.cfm?claim=7-5688

https://sheffieldfloodclaimsarchive.shu.ac.uk/claimSummary.cfm?claim=2-1590

Henry Elliott Hoole, Stove Grate Manufacturer, Green Lane

Damage to Real and Personal Property. 

https://sheffieldfloodclaimsarchive.shu.ac.uk/claimSummary.cfm?claim=5-4524

On 13/10/2012 at 10:16, Edmund said:

Some maps of 1853 and 1890 showing the two works:

post-11866-0-22494400-1350148518_thumb.png

Hi @Edmund. For the first map you posted in this series, do you have a source that I could look at? I'm trying to track down this image for a research project, and would greatly appreciate any help you could provide.  Many thanks,

M.