Owler Lane High School

Guest johnmh

Guest johnmh

anyone went here in the early 1960s when Mr Hall was the head and Miss Maitland was one of the teachers??

I didn't go to Owler Lane ( wasn't it classed as an Intermediate School at some time?) but an old teacher from my school...a Mr Bullivant... became head of the Comp. Incidentally, my Dad attended Owler Lane as a boy during the late 1920s/early 30s!

Guest Lord Keith

Hi I went to this school from 1958 to1963. Mr Gregory was head teacher affectionately called Pop Gregory, he left then we had Mr "Jimmy" Edwards not liked by many. I remember he used to drive to school in an old Rolls Royce hearse.

Hi Johnny I went to Owler lane I remember Mr hall headteacher he finished in a mental hospital after a breakdown.I also remember Mr craddock and that damn poem he would recite ever lesson under milk wood he was also handy with is cane .also Mr Francis who taught us lovely gentleman he used to play the violin during lessons.and science teacher Mr hooper he had three slippers  and was very app at using them and Mr woods woodwork class he had a mean steak and two canes one called double diamond after the beer and stingray after the cartoon he also would throw a mallet at you to get your attention ho happy days.

• Like 1

I was there 1951 onwards, "Pop" Gregory used to walk about playing his imaginary violin. Half the male teachers had fought in the war and thought it was still going on with us pupils as the enemy. Lupton most of all. I still remember after 60 odd years ago having to run round Firth Park Grammers playing field in shorts and vest with snow thick on the ground, no showers in those days. I made some good friends there.

We lucky individuals who attended FPGS had the use of a changing room and showers in a wooden building on the field. Changing was OK but the showers were never hotter than tepid even on a snowy, frosty day. Incidentally we somehow often managed a game of “togger” on such days. 

Yes I remember the FPGS wooden changing rooms. Cool showers, and having to play football on hard frosty ground in the winter, on pitches that sloped at crazy angles.Ì hated it.

On 25/08/2013 at 08:24, lysander said:

I didn't go to Owler Lane ( wasn't it classed as an Intermediate School at some time?) but an old teacher from my school...a Mr Bullivant... became head of the Comp. Incidentally, my Dad attended Owler Lane as a boy during the late 1920s/early 30s!

My  dad James Henry Moore age 12 passed exam (don't know what it was called) whilst at All Saints school to go to Owler Lane Intermediate in 1927. 

Wasn’t it called the Scholarship? My Dad and your Dad were of a similar age and he also went to Owler Lane….until he was old enough(14?) to work

On 30/01/2017 at 21:41, YATESACE said:

Hi Johnny I went to Owler lane I remember Mr hall headteacher he finished in a mental hospital after a breakdown.I also remember Mr craddock and that damn poem he would recite ever lesson under milk wood he was also handy with is cane .also Mr Francis who taught us lovely gentleman he used to play the violin during lessons.and science teacher Mr hooper he had three slippers  and was very app at using them and Mr woods woodwork class he had a mean steak and two canes one called double diamond after the beer and stingray after the cartoon he also would throw a mallet at you to get your attention ho happy days.

Thanks. I laughed when I got to the last three words of your anecdote - mental illness, bizarre classroom habits, corporal punishment, random acts of violence and intimidation of children: 'Ho, happy days!' 

On 22/12/2023 at 08:48, Lysanderix said:

Wasn’t it called the Scholarship? My Dad and your Dad were of a similar age and he also went to Owler Lane….until he was old enough(14?) to work

Hi Lysanderix. Yes my dad was same as yours . He was born 2 November 1915. He lived on Petre Street & went to All Saints Infants & juniors . Took exam (am sure you are right that it was the Scholarship exam)  in 1927  when he went to Owler Lane Intermediate. He left school in summer 1930 age 14. He went to work at Firth Vickers & studied engineering  at Sheffield Technical School ( I assume it was night school he went to although am not sure about that - could there have  been day release back then ?).

Happy Christmas, John

I don’t think there was day release in those days.My Dads first job was as a delivery boy with Greggs bakery. He later went on to ESC and did some home study in engineering with ,what I believe was a private fee paying Sheffield based mail order study outfit called Bennet College.

My only connection  with Owler Lane was with the dreaded school dentist who practiced there on luckless children!