Now that's what I call a fine view!

dunsbyowl1867

Guest jossman

That is a fine picture and brings back many memories. I realise that it is an old picture...but...In the early 50's that is just how the works, overhanging the Don, looked. I went Xmas shopping with my Mum in 1951 and the fog was so dense you could not see a hand in front of your face, even the lights in the shop windows were just a dim glow. Our shopping was covered in black soot when we got home. Many of us had chest infections and bad coughs in those days. When the situation was bad, all the trams and buses stopped running, so living at the bottom of Leppings Lane meant we had to walk to Hillsborough to do the shop. We had hankies tied round our faces and where we breathed it left a black ring. The atmosphere was very sinister especially with the hammers on Penistone Road continually banging away. There was hardly a difference between morning, afternoon and night. Difficult to believe from the clean air city you now see.

The bridge in the background is Blonk Street, and looking South the overhanging workshops were the swing grinders.

View from window of Victoria Hotel, near the Great Central Railway Station, Tower Grinding Wheel and Blonk Street Bridge in foreground, tower of new Town Hall and spire of St. Mary's, Norfolk Row in distance

Source

What year ??

View from window of Victoria Hotel, near the Great Central Railway Station, Tower Grinding Wheel and Blonk Street Bridge in foreground, tower of new Town Hall and spire of St. Mary's, Norfolk Row in distance

Source

What year ??

St. Marie's!

Walter Hayward Young was born in Aston, Birmingham in 1868 and died in 1920. His father was John Fowler Young a copper plate engraver and Walter moved with his family to Sheffield before 1881

In 1896 he was an acting manager and played the title role in an amateur performance of "The Mandarin", a comic opera, at the Surrey Street Music Hall. In the same year he was on stage at the Empire Palace, Charles Street, drawing sketches of well known personalities. By 1899 he was managing director of Young Brothers, a poster publisher, based at 2 Norfolk Row

He used the name “Jotter” for his post-card work.

He was living at 124, Mushroom Lane in 1881, at 61, Ashland Road in 1891 and at 171, Oakbrook Road in 1901.

The cover of his "how to do it" book:

Views which bring back memories. After Dad got his first car, we often ventured out of Gleadless at the weekend and headed for the Peak District where Dad would park and we'd go for a walk. We certainly visited these places, as well as Hathersage, Bakewell and many others including our favourite, Lathkill Dale.

I also remember the name of the firm, Raphael Tuck, though whether from postcards or from some other product I can't say.

I think it is shorthand, possibly Pitman rather than Gregg or Teeline.  Don't ask me to interpret though, I don't read or write any form of shorthand.