The Ultimate 80's Photo Thread... Places From The 80's !

Sheffield History

Post photos of Sheffield places from the 1980's !!

First up - the ABC Cinema !

Star Trek 4 and Moquita Coast are the films currently showing, - both rekeased in 1986

What ever happened to the Likely lads :)

Well it is the 80's and the building there is the Egg Box

I wonder who those 2 guys are and whose wedding it is? <_<

For more information, it was 1st August 1987, and the wedding took place in the (now gone like the egg boxes) Wedding Cake registry office building.

Here are a few from 1983 and 1985. I have a good one of Ecclesall roundabout at night but just can't seem to find it :(

West Bar 1983

How safe is Sheffield as a place to live?

In the early 1970's my cousin, who lived on St. Phillips Road, not far from West Bar Police HQ was attacked in the street by a gang of thugs, not at night but in daylight.

Fortunately for him the attack happened right outside this very building and he was rescued by a group of "rozzers" (a local slang name for the Police at that time) very quickly and his assailents very quickly arrested and brought to justice.

How safe is Sheffield?

Well it is terrible that such an attack should have taken place in the first place.

But it was brilliant how quickly it was very effectively dealt with.

That looks more like a pic from when the EggBox was demolished in 2002, NOT from the film.

I agree, the building is part demolished in the picture which sets the date at the time of the demolition of the egg boxes (new town hall extension)

The new Goodwin fountain in the peace gardens also betrays the later date, in the 1980's there was no fountain in the peace gardens and the original Goodwin fountain was still in existance at the top of Fargate, but frequently not working.

In any case I thought Threads was filmed in 1965, - although not shown on TV until years later due to its controversial nuclear war content. If it was filmed in 1965 then the egg boxes didn't even exist at the time, they were built in 1973.

According to the info with the photo, it was taken on April 11th 2010, despite the caption.

It is a photograph of an old photograph, probably taken at a local display in 2010.

In any case I thought Threads was filmed in 1965, - although not shown on TV until years later due to its controversial nuclear war content. If it was filmed in 1965 then the egg boxes didn't even exist at the time, they were built in 1973.

Threads was filmed in the mid 80's. The programme you're thinking of is Peter Watkins 'The War Game' which was a BBC docudrama concerning life after a nuclear attack but only shown in the 80's for the first time.

Threads was filmed in the mid 80's. The programme you're thinking of is Peter Watkins 'The War Game' which was a BBC docudrama concerning life after a nuclear attack but only shown in the 80's for the first time.

Thanks saw119, you are correct. Threads is from the 80's. The War game was made in the 60's but it was 20 years or so before it was shown on TV so I actually saw both of them at round about the same time in the mid 1980's, - hence my confusion.

Both were about a nuclear attack, - but which was best?