Sharrow Cycling Club

RichardB

I believe the Cucklett church was the open air location where Rector Mompesson held services during the plague.

It's usually called Cucklett Delph, a small disused quarry. Never heard it called Chine before.

Probably a transcription error, I just put down what was there.

It's usually called Cucklett Delph, a small disused quarry. Never heard it called Chine before.

Could these be Sheffield cyclists, name imprinted in the photo, possible F. Saltfleet, a gilder etcher and picture framer, Hunter House Road in 1911, blob of paper still glued to the middle someone used this as a backing to a picture.

=============================================

Edit:

Could these be Sheffield cyclists, name imprinted in the photo, possible F. Saltfleet, a gilder etcher and picture framer, Hunter House Road in 1911, blob of paper still glued to the middle someone used this as a backing to a picture.

Could that be a .... SH link, '

Could that be a .... SH link, '

It could, I just put Saltfleet into census records and the one at Hunter House Road came up, seems a rare'ish name

Presumably a book ...

Cope, W. E. & C.W. Cowen, Sharrow Cycling Club. Its History and Work for 21 Years, 1887-1908, o.O. 1908.

o.O. ??

(Sheffield: Leng, 1908, 72pp.)

Source

Presumably a book ...

Cope, W. E. & C.W. Cowen, Sharrow Cycling Club. Its History and Work for 21 Years, 1887-1908, o.O. 1908.

o.O. ??

(Sheffield: Leng, 1908, 72pp.)

Source

I have a copy of the above, belonged to a Farrer ancestor, the Farrers played a major role in the SCC.

No mention of the First Annual Dinner;

Second held at The Wharncliffe Hotel, December 1889, chaired by Mr A. Muir Wilson

Third held at The Wharncliffe Hotel, November 1890, chaired by T.A.Edge

Fourth held at The Wharncliffe Hotel,November 1891, chaired by Fred Bye

Fifth held at The Masonic Hall, December 1892, chaired by Alderman Batty Langley, J.P.

Sixth held at The Masonic Hall, December 1893, chaired by Mayor Alderman Foster, J.P.

Seventh held at The Masonic Hall, December 1894 chaired by Mr J. Sutton- first to have the illuminated Menu cards,showing a concise pictorial history of the Club during the past year.

Eighth held at The Masonic Hall, December 1895, chaired by Councillor W.H. Lancashire

Ninth held at The Masonic Hall, November 1896, chaired by Councillor J.R. Wheatley

Tenth held at The Masonic Hall, December 1897, chaired by Lord Mayor Alderman George Franklin J.P.

Eleventh at The Masonic Hall, December 1898, chaired by Lord Mayor Alderman W.E. Clegg

Twelfth at The Masonic Hall, December 1899, chaired by Lord Mayor Alderman S.Roberts J.P.

Thirteenth held at The Masonic Hall, December 1900, chaired by Lord Mayor Alderman J.Eaton J.P.

Fourteenth held in The Cutlers Hall, November 1901, chaired by Walpole Hiller.

Fifteenth held at The Cutlers Hall, December 1902, chaired by Chas W. Cowen

John Grove President of the Sharrow Cycling Club during its 100th Year, this year is the 125th

Quote from John

I am still a member of the Sharrow cycling club after starting to ride my own bike at around the age of 6, over 60 years ago.

I was told that I first went out at the age of 3 months in the sidecar of my parents tandem.

Herbert Grove (Uncle of John Grove)

Born 1903, Died 1930 of T.B.

Another member of the Sharrow Cycling club with considerable racing success.

Club Medals won by Herbert.

1924 12 Hour

5 hr 5Mins

Brid 1924

188 Miles

1926 100 m

5. 59. 48

1925 100

5h 41 min

1925 12hr

195. miles

1925 Brid

4h 53min

Bronze Silver and Gold Sharrow medals. Silver & Gold medals are hallmarked.

1925 100 mile medal appears to be made from the badge die not the medal die.

to Huthwaite

The Sharrow was formed to win a prize at the Bridlington Whitsuntide Cyclist Meet of 1887. The prize awarded for the greatest number of riders x the miles riden to the event was won.

At the celebration dinner on August 27th 1887 the members augmented by others from the Pitsmoor and Hillsboro totaling 40 cyclists rode to Baslow for a celebration at the Devonshire Arms. A toast to the club was proposed by Mr. Murgatroyd of the Hillsboro CC and seconded by Mr. Harry Fletcher of the Pitsmoor CC. W. Constantine and J. Cowley responding for the Sharrow.

That is why an annual dinner does not seem to be held the in the first year.

Osbert Skinner was a member of the Sharrow Cycling Club. Osbert had a watchmaker and jewellers shop at the bottom of Ecclesall Road.

Osbert Skinner was born 19th August 1885, baptised 7th October at Highfield, the 5th son of Charles (the youngest). In 1891 he was living with his parents at 24 South Street Moor. He was a watchmaker by 1901, at South Street working for his father Charles. In 1911 he was an own account Watchmaker living at 54 St Marys Road with parents Charles and Ada. Osbert married Antonie F Friedrichsen in September 1912. Antonie was born in German South America in 1888, the daughter of a widowed German Sausage Skin Dealer, Ernst Friedrichsen, in 1911 living at 61 Ranby Road, Endcliffe. By 1929 he had moved to 112 Ecclesall Road. The last known entry in the telephone book for Osberts Watchmaking business was 1978 - he was aged 93. Osbert died in Jan/Feb/Mar 1978, as did his wife Antonie.

Interesting 1908 agrees with our data as the first Sharrow 50. 1910 seems to be the 1st appearance of "The Sharrow Shield, originally "The Goldsmith's Shield". It was awarded by the Sheffield Goldsmith's company for a 100 mile track race on the Bramhall Lane track. Sharrow member T.W.Naseby won it 3 times and was given the shield as was the custom in those days. It was said Naseby came upon hard times and pawned the shield. A club member saw it in the pawn shop and bought it. The "Sharrow Shield" was awarded to the winning team of the Sharrow 50 in subsequent years. The last Sharrow 50 time trial took place in 2008 the 100th anniversary. (I was the event organiser). The shield is now on display at the Sheffield United Museum because it is associated with the ground having an engraving of a track race around the cricket pitch in the centre. The club was shocked at the valuation obtained by Sheffield United for the shield of £10,000.