Fort William

RichardB

Sister and Brother in law and Wayne (called Kneal) at Fort William, camping inside the Fort, overlooking dolphins in the bay and ready for a fine re-inactment tomorrow.

Me sat at home with a broken (dead) car and only the Olympics (which has just finished) to keep me company, oh well.

Multi period, so Cival War, Medieval and WWII - with fly-past - they are currently just off the battlefield, back at camp, eating, drinking and watching the dolphins swimming in the bay - sounds like they have had a great day. Cannon twice the size of the one I played with, so presumably everyone stone deaf.

Which particular event are they re-enacting Richard?

I love Fort william,

it is the best place for hillwalking

Fully agree, although, since they relocated the railway station away from the quayside, from where you could embark directly onto the ferries, out to the edge of town, it has never seemed quite the same to me.

The Scotrail, night sleeper train still runs from London Euston to Fort William, (five nights a week now, I think), and I very strongly recommend that as a once in a lifetime experience, despite the expense and this train arrives at it's final destination, late morning.

The London to Glasgow section of the journey is quite normal, as one might expect, but it is a journey mostly made in the dark.

However, once the train departs Glasgow, the scenery improves quite dramatically and the final leg, from Tyndrum through to Fort William is quite an experience.

From Fort William, you can then take the West Highland Line up to Mallaig, over the famous Glen Finnan Viaduct and I think that during the summer months, that there is still a daily steam hauled excursion that takes you there and back. Back up there myself, later in the year.

Guest busy lizzy

I didn't realise the station had been relocated

I have only traveled to fort William by train once,and it was quite an experience,like you said the area is stunning,I traveled up to Mallaig and I think this is the most stunning part of the line

Which is the nearest station to Sheffield I can get the sleeper train? I have never traveled on this and it sounds quite an experience.

The Fort William sleeper picks up at London Euston, Watford Junction, Crewe and Preston. If you book far enough in advance it can be done for as little as £19 each way, but it is more likely going to cost over £100 return.

I didn't realise the station had been relocated

I have only traveled to fort William by train once,and it was quite an experience,like you said the area is stunning,I traveled up to Mallaig and I think this is the most stunning part of the line

Which is the nearest station to Sheffield I can get the sleeper train? I have never traveled on this and it sounds quite an experience.

Link attached herewith. Definately recommended experience.

Sooner, rather than later, as I suspect that once the current carriage stock becomes life expired, that there is unlikely to be much enthusiasm to retain the service.

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/caledoniansleeper/index.html

I've used the Sleeper service from Crewe to Inverness, an excellent service, go to sleep in Crewe awake in the Highlands :) in fact going again at the end of the month

Guest busy lizzy

I've used the Sleeper service from Crewe to Inverness, an excellent service, go to sleep in Crewe awake in the Highlands :) in fact going again at the end of the month

Have a good trip

I am still trying to find details,I am not having much luck on the site

Is Crewe the best place to catch it if you live in Sheffield?

How much does it cost for a return ticket?