St Mary's, Walkley

RichardB

When a few more people post their stuff, we'll find out...

Good history of the school, a pity more schools don't do this, or do they

I was at St Mary's from 1960-1966, the reception teacher was Mrs Davison or was it Davidson if I remember correctly she used to bring her daughter in occasionally. I think it was then Mrs Smith then we had a new male teacher Mr Klottrupp and then Mrs Reynolds, Mr Jarman was the Head Master and I remember being sent to his office to read to him, loved going down there because of the smell of pipe tobacco. Then there was the caretaker Mr Haigh who won the Star Walk and does anyone remember Mr Booth the crossing lollipop man who got run over one morning while doing his job. They were happy days before going to Myers Grove in Sept 1966.

Guest S.R.Green

I went to St Mary’s in 1970 – 74, more or less.

Every year they had a nativity play at the Church, I always wanted to play Joseph, but ended up a Sheppard, every year. Still it was honest work for a budding actor of 5

Another recollection was looking into the eldest year class, and seeing them doing joined up writing... in pen!

I attended Burgeon Road school which then became St. Mary's. I was always the angel then as I got older I was in the choir. Mr Dalton was head teacher when I was there, loved it. Went onto King Edwards afterwards for 8 months before we moved from the Walkley area. It would be great to get in touch with those I were at school with, I left St Mary's 1979 1980ish. 

I attended St Mary's Walkley from around 1954 for a bout 2-3 years when I went to Oakwood Collegate School.

My lasting recollection of this school was a teacher called Mrs Smith. She taught the class above reception. 

Well, let me say she was a one for her favourites and I wasn't one of them. I don't know why but she really didn't like me. I can remember one day I dropped my pencil and she called me out. She stood me in the corner and told me to pull my socks up. So, being the six year old I was, I did just that. She laughed at me and ridiculed me. She told my parents I was backward. I went to Mrs Reynolds class after then thankfully left to achieve a proper education.

Well, Mrs Smith, this backward child with the right teachers managed to achieve High Storrs Grammar School where I gained an A1 in Biology A level. Went to Bristol University and am now retired. Happily married for over 40years, four daughters, seven grandchildren and a Jaguar and a Porche on my drive!!!

Its taken me over 60 years to vent my anger at this so called teacher. The damage that she did to me, and who knows others, may never be righted, but writing this makes me feel better.