Grosvenor House Hotel

Guest edie_sedgwick

Guest edie_sedgwick

Does anyone know anything about this hotel? Memories, people, stories, why it closed...?

I never stayed there. My parents got married there in the 80s though. I imagine it to look like the hotel in the first series of Alan Partridge haha.

I walk past it every day on the way home from work and it looks really eerie!

Does anyone know anything about this hotel? Memories, people, stories, why it closed...?

I never stayed there. My parents got married there in the 80s though. I imagine it to look like the hotel in the first series of Alan Partridge haha.

I walk past it every day on the way home from work and it looks really eerie!

It was good in it's day, I went to a wedding there and also a Christmas party which was a big failure.

I think it was on it's way down then. I can't remember what year it closed and I'm suprised it's still standing.

Guest edie_sedgwick

Aw nice one. Yeah, it looks pretty rickety.. wonder who owns it now and if its going to be left to rot, or if it'll be brought back to life

I understand that after it closed it was sometimes used by South Yorkshire Police dog handlers training their dogs to search buildings.

Back in the day the Grosvener along with theHallam Towers were THE hotels in Sheffield. Both part of the Trusthouse Forte chain if anybody who was anybody were visiting the city this would be where they would stay.

Guest edie_sedgwick

There's some really nice photographs of Hallam Towers as it is today on the internet. In fact, same goes for a lot of abandoned places in Sheffield.

Guest Foberts

I went there a few times when i was young and then again when i got older and it had become run down. According to Mum there were plans to to demolish it for years (under a compulsory purchase order) and so no money was spent on keeping it up to date. I don't think they realised that it would stay open as long as it did. It finally closed to make way for 7 stone development.

Back in the day the Grosvener along with theHallam Towers were THE hotels in Sheffield. Both part of the Trusthouse Forte chain if anybody who was anybody were visiting the city this would be where they would stay.

Yes they were both THE hotels in Sheffield if my memory serves me well. I once went to a works Xmas party at the Grosvenor in the lates 70's/early 80's and it was really good - lots of other people from different companies all having a great time. I was also there with some friends one night between 1975-1977 when Steve Davies the snooker player arrived at the reception area to check-in with two hefty minders. We said hello to him and he replied but then the minders led him away - quite funny really because he seemed tiny at the side of them. If they thought we were going to mob him they were very mistaken, but it was THE place for celebs', minor or otherwise, to stay and be seen. Great times and I am sorry to hear that its now closed and run-down.

Guest Mark Evans

This hotel and surrounding buildings are currently being demolished.  I've been taking photos of it all before the area changes around Charter Square.  The subways near the old telephone house still remind me of a small scale hole-in-the-road.  

Stopped in it once, towards the end of its life. 

It was a bit like the hotel that time forgot, though could imagine it was quite glamorous when it opened

3 hours ago, Andrew Long said:

Stopped in it once, towards the end of its life. 

It was a bit like the hotel that time forgot, though could imagine it was quite glamorous when it opened

ha ha was it grim?