Sheffield And Hallamshire Veterans Guild

Guest Yorklancs

Guest Yorklancs

Sheffield and Hallamshire Veterans Guild

I am researching the above Guild that I believe was set up in Sheffield in 1892 by Public Subscription. Sometimes known as the Indian Mutiny and Crimean Veterans Association it lasted I think till the early 1920s when the last of the Veterans passed away.

Round about the 1890s there was a public outcry at the way the old Mutiny and Crimean Soldiers were treated. Many had taken to begging on the streets and there were calls in Parliament for pensions to be raised. In Sheffield following various public meetings I believe the above Guild was set up by Sir John Bingham and public subscription was set up to raise funds to supplement their annual pensions. They had an Annual Dinner and round about November each year they marched to Ranmoor Church for their Annual Service. At one time they had about 130 Pensioners receiving support from the Guild and by the time of the 1901 Dinner the numbers had dropped to 53. By the time of Private Peter Melville’s Funeral in June 1916 it was reported that just 14 were left.

I have managed to acquire one of the insignia for the Guild and I enclose details. These apparently were worn with a sash. I enclose a picture of Melville with his sash and medals. The President was Lt Col J E Bingham (later Sir J E Bingham, Bart), R Colver , treasurer and C Partington Secretary

I would like to hear from any members of the forum who have any details of this group and in particular if any photos still exist . Any information will be gratefully received. I am intending to research this group and naturally I did not want to go over old ground.

Below is a picture of Melville wearing this Insignia

Yours sincerely Andrew Grantham

Private Peter Melville.doc

Sheffield and Hallamshire Veterans Guild Insignia.

Large cast gilt metal badge comprising a laurel wreath surmounted by the Royal Crest; within the wreath a title strap; the centre with representation of Royal Shield, rifles, anchor, star etc. Suspended below the badge, the figure of St, George and Dragon. Reverse, with replacement pin pitting, inscribed 'Lt. Col. J.E. Bingham, President. RC Colver Esq, Treasurer, C. Partington Hon Sec.'

City of Sheffield 1983 letter States they have a similar medal awarded to Trop Sergeant-Major Francis Dickinson, 17th Lancers who survived the Charge of the Light Brigade.

Colonel Bingham commanded 1st W, York RE Volunteers, his 1915 obituary states his great interest in the welfare of old soldiers and in the 1892 Crimean and Indian Veterans Association.

Bosleys have recorded another one of these medals, awarded to Pte C Partington 1st Rl Dragoons, appeared at auction with his Crimean Medals in 1996.

http://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/sheffield-and-hallamshire-veterans-guild-insignia-1-c-dbc2165f53

I believe the Hallamshire Veterans Guild was introduced by Sir John Bingham reflecting the services of Sheffield men in both the Crimean and Indian Mutiny campaigns.

Does anyone have any information at all about the badge that was awarded to veterans or know if there is a list of thsoe so awarded.

Thanks

Guest Yorklancs

Have you seen one of these before? I bought it because I thought it might have something to do with the Crimean & Indian Mutiny Veterans but I need help please to confirm. The QV image is around about the time the association was active (late Victorian/old queen head 1893-1901). I have included an image of the reverse. It looks like a more recent production but why have other than a reigning monarch image? There is nothing else on the back except the manufacturers name.

Any help gratefully received

Sheffield Veterans Badge.jpg

Sheffield Veterans Badge Reverse 1.jpg

The manufacturer seems to have been based in Birmingham until 1905 when a London office was opened, so may help date the badge.  (from information on auction house website here:

https://www.dnw.co.uk/auction-archive/special-collections/foreword.php?specialcollection_id=104

and from this website:

http://sculpture.gla.ac.uk/view/organization.php?id=msib1_1240323821

Located at 5 Denmark Street, London 1900 - 1951
This was the address of Edward Thurkle, Swordmakers, which Gaunt took over in 1897. According to company records the premises were given up in 1904, however there are references to this address in the London trade directories between 1900-51

Showroom located at 53 Conduit Street London 1905 - 1918

and this site:

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dianaspage/BritishButtonBackmarks.html

states that Gaunt used the London location on the rear of buttons from 1884-1889

so that confuses the issue again....

Guest Yorklancs

Many thanks Edmund

This is really is really helpful. I was keen to note that Gaunt used the J R Gaunt London mark to 1899. That would fit nicely with what I had hoped for a badge with QV portrait. 

HAS anyone seen one of these badges before please???