Buttterfly ChineseTakeaway Staniforth road

Guest detrius

Guest detrius

Hi

Does any body else remember the Butterfly chinese takeaway on Staniforth Road just next to the canal.

In the mid 70,s it was a treat.We would be at the "Rads" club with Mum and Dad on a sunday night,and after about 10pm when they were bored of us and we were bored of being there.We could either have ANOTHER pop and chrisps or go home on our own and stop at the chinese.My brother would have chips and curry and i would have chips and fishcake (their version of a sheffield fish cake but MASSIVE with a little slab of fish in ht emiddle ...YUMMMM).and we would share.

Then we would go home and watch the late night dracula or frankenstein film on BBC2.

There wern,t half some characters in their,remember lways seeing a big old bloke with tattoos on his arms in a flowery dress.We would stare as you do.and he would say "alreight lads" in the deepest voice imaginable.we would slide along the condensation coverd walls untill it was our turn to be served..

Anybody else remember the orange coloured cury sauce .The best in sheffield HHHmmm - want some

Andy m

http://youtube.com/70sheffieldlad

p.s heres a picture from 1992 virtually unchanged from the 70,s.apart from the name

Guest transit

Hi

Does any body else remember the Butterfly chinese takeaway on Staniforth Road just next to the canal.

In the mid 70,s it was a treat.We would be at the "Rads" club with Mum and Dad on a sunday night,and after about 10pm when they were bored of us and we were bored of being there.We could either have ANOTHER pop and chrisps or go home on our own and stop at the chinese.My brother would have chips and curry and i would have chips and fishcake (their version of a sheffield fish cake but MASSIVE with a little slab of fish in ht emiddle ...YUMMMM).and we would share.

Then we would go home and watch the late night dracula or frankenstein film on BBC2.

There wern,t half some characters in their,remember lways seeing a big old bloke with tattoos on his arms in a flowery dress.We would stare as you do.and he would say "alreight lads" in the deepest voice imaginable.we would slide along the condensation coverd walls untill it was our turn to be served..

Anybody else remember the orange coloured cury sauce .The best in sheffield HHHmmm - want some

Andy m

p.s heres a picture from 1992 virtually unchanged from the 70,s.apart from the name

......and what about the other Sheffield icon that is Ernest Jennings Ironmongers ,NEXT DOOR! Another shop which has been there for years and has hardly changed , selling traditional old mops and brushes , tin baths! (used for plastering)and dustbins, and a wide variety of locks and keys , with several items on display outside the shop as can be seen on the right of the above photo.

Guest detrius

......and what about the other Sheffield icon that is Ernest Jennings Ironmongers ,NEXT DOOR! Another shop which has been there for years and has hardly changed , selling traditional old mops and brushes , tin baths! (used for plastering)and dustbins, and a wide variety of locks and keys , with several items on display outside the shop as can be seen on the right of the above photo.

Yeah too true.got photos of all those inc the end one which is like garage -peak patterns palm tree works

:huh:;-)

Andy M

Guest transit

Forgot to add - Jennings"s always reminded me of the "Two Ronnies" 4 candles (fork handles) sketch !

I remember that little parade of modern shops, included a green grocer, hardware shop and chinese chippy cannot recall what the other shop was.

Guest shezza91

Hi

Andy m

next door to that chinese in the picture was the koh-i-noor indian.

in around 1993/4 this was , in my opinion, one of the finest indian resuarants in Sheffield.

Guest detrius

next door to that chinese in the picture was the koh-i-noor indian.

in around 1993/4 this was , in my opinion, one of the finest indian resuarants in Sheffield.

Cool

never been to that one .remember it wel though and the tables through the window.any idea what its like now anybody ?????

ANDY M

their version of a sheffield fish cake but MASSIVE with a little slab of fish in ht emiddle ...YUMMMM).and we would share.

I really, really miss Sheffield fishcakes, they are rubbish up here, what we would have called a rissole, sh*te really.

The big bloke in the dress COULD have been me ....... hang on, I've checked, I don't have tattoos, could they have faded do you think ? lol

The Koh-i-Nor and the Shalimar on West Bar, both brilliant, me and my best mate used to frequent both, get "tanked up" then visit one or the other, we used to order more rice everytime we visited each place, they even used to bring us our own side table for the rice .....

"Right <hic> that's two Chicken Madras, three beef rogans, four turtle doves-masala, a Mongoose Vindaloo, a Giraffe Phall, 14 poppadoms, six Shalimar rice specials, 3 keema rice, a vegetable rice, the full pickle tray ... and you better leave it"

Now wonder I'm a big fat bloke, still working off the Friday night meals from the late Seventies lol

Guest detrius

HAH ,HAH

Like it mate,was a tatto on an anchor (yes anchoe i said lol )

miss mi fishcakes too,bloody soft southern things covered in breadcrumbs ,only fit fo seagulls mate.Gonna stock up on my holiday back home in august mate.will ahve a look at the chinese and indian..may try it who knows

ta mate

Andy m

I remember that place also. We used to have a kid at our school who's family owned the takeaway. His name was Lee (Lee Woon Ying - I think?) and he used to come all the way to Beaver Hill on the 52 every morning, then back at night. Mind you, there were a lot of kids from Darnall and Attercliffe that went to Beaver Hill -  not exactly in catchment was it?

Anyway, I vivdly remember Lee and I'm almost certain he lives near me today, as I'm sure I've seen him knocking about and recognise him 40 years on...

When did it stop being 'The Butterfly' and change to 'Silver Pan', as there are some photos on Picture Sheffield that show 'Silver Pan' in 1989?