The influence of Sheffield artists on Canada

Guest sweetdexter

Guest sweetdexter

There used to be available a book at the Wetern Park Museum gift shop 'Our Home and Native land"

It chronicled the artists who went to Canada from Sheffield.

Lismer and Varley are listed in the Arts & Humanities, famous people from Sheffield.

They formed part of the Group of Seven,Canada's answer to the French impressionists movement.

Auther Lismer was the principal of the Victoria School of Art and Design from 1916-1919 and very instrumental in turning the school into a world class art college.

On Lismars instigation Elizabeth Nutt became principal 1919 -1943. in Miss Nutts tenure it became known as the Nova Scotia College of Art. After she retired she returned to Sheffield

One of her recruits was Stanley Royle. He began to outshine Miss Nutt so she engineered his termination .Mr Royle returned to Sheffield for a short time but eventually became head of the art department at Mount Allison University in New Brunswick,he created the program that granted degrees in art.

So the tentacles of Sheffield people have shaped some of the history of Canadian art

Guest J R Wrigley

One artist who lived in Canada for a time was Juliana Ewing - Formerly Juliana Gatty - daughter of Alfred Gatty, vicar of Ecclesfield from 1839 to 1903. She was a gifted water-colourist. A Canadian University recently published a book of her Canadian Water colours. I had to send away to Canada to get a copy.

The book is Illustrated News. Juliana Horatia Ewing's Canadian Pictures 1867-1869. by Donna McDonald. ISBN 1-55002-005-6. Published by New Brunswick Museum in 1985. 8 colour plates plus others in monochrome.

One artist who lived in Canada for a time was Juliana Ewing - Formerly Juliana Gatty - daughter of Alfred Gatty, vicar of Ecclesfield from 1839 to 1903. She was a gifted water-colourist. A Canadian University recently published a book of her Canadian Water colours. I had to send away to Canada to get a copy.

Landed 8th June 1867, husband stationed at Fredericton, New Brunswick, returned to England autumn of 1869.

Their dog was called Hector :rolleyes:

Guest Noise Heat Power

I remember seeing an exhibition at the Mappin about this group of artists. I'm trying very hard to remember when it was - it was certainly when I lived in Sheffield which would make it at least 12 years ago, but beyond that, I'm struggling! Interesting stuff though.

Guest sweetdexter

I remember seeing an exhibition at the Mappin about this group of artists. I'm trying very hard to remember when it was - it was certainly when I lived in Sheffield which would make it at least 12 years ago, but beyond that, I'm struggling! Interesting stuff though.

You are just out by 4 years.

In 1991 at the Mappin Art Gallery March 2 - April 10 'Our Home and Native Land'

(Which is the second line in the Canadian National Anthem)

From Sheffield the exhibition went to, Canada House in London.

The art Gallery of Nova Scotti

The art Gallery of Windser ,Ontario

The publication at the time of the Exhibition is ISBN 0 86321 139 9

Guest Noise Heat Power

How time flies eh? And how memory plays tricks too - I could have sworn I saw that exhibition in the company of my now-wife... except that I hadn't met her then!

Arthur Lismer eventually settled in Montreal and taught for many years in art classes at what became the Montreal Museum of Fine Art. My wife, as a child, and her mother, as an adult, were both taught by him. We have a painting painted by him as an illustration of technique during one of those classes (he used my mother-in-law's paints so afterwards he gave her the picture :) ).

Although this painting is a minor artefact it gives me a kick to think of it returning to Lismer's roots! When I get a chance I will photograph it.

Hugh

Arthur Lismer eventually settled in Montreal and taught for many years in art classes at what became the Montreal Museum of Fine Art. My wife, as a child, and her mother, as an adult, were both taught by him. We have a painting painted by him as an illustration of technique during one of those classes (he used my mother-in-law's paints so afterwards he gave her the picture smile.gif ).

Although this painting is a minor artefact it gives me a kick to think of it returning to Lismer's roots! When I get a chance I will photograph it.

Hugh

Arthur Lismer and and Fred Varley were once a members of the Heeley Art Club