John Banner

Stuart0742

We have had topics about Banners Store before, but what about its founder John Banner.

What do we know about him?

Where was his 1st store?

What happened to the family?

We have had topics about Banners Store before, but what about its founder John Banner.

Where was his 1st store?

Good question, no idea and I think we should know.

John Banner, Draper, 591 Attercliffe Road (Kelly's 1893) as a starter; I hope the chase is on and we are looking for a premises before this date

Where was his 1st store?

Sent a PM to you regarding John Baner - the new deliferate speeling mistook is all my own invention ... he he

Doesn't seem to be a lot about him around - founded firm 1873 moved to Attercliffe 1894.

From Sheffield Indexers - was Beech Hill Road his home?

Banner, John (, Draper).

Residing at 620-626 Attercliffe Road & 1 to 7 Shortridge Street, Attercliffe; h.33 Beech Hill Road, in 1905.

Recorded in: Whites Directory Sheffield & Rotherham.

Banner, John (, Draper (J.B. Ltd)).

Residing at 16 Beech Hill Road, in 1911.

Recorded in: Whites Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham - 1911.

You beat me with 1873, but I've already beaten you with 1893 at Attercliffe, and we go back further than that at Attercliffe (Stuart has some images when he chooses to reveal) ...and he appears to have been a coal miner as a 20 year old ...

1873 advert required then.

You beat me with 1873, but I've already beaten you with 1893 at Attercliffe, and we go back further than that at Attercliffe (Stuart has some images when he chooses to reveal) ...and he appears to have been a coal miner as a 20 year old ...

1873 advert required then.

I suspect this is his death? 7th July 1930 So born c. 1850!

Deaths Sep 1930 Banner John 79 Ecclesall B. 9c298

Guest jonbanner

Just doing a bit of family research and came across your forum. I think I might be able to help a little bit with your questions. I am a great great grandson of John Banner.

His father (Levi) was a coalminer from Greasley, Nottinghamshire and the family moved to Sheffield, sometime between 1861(no census records) and 1870. Levi died in 1870.

John was born in 1850

John was a coalminer as a twenty year old and then became a draper and set up his shops.

John did die in 1930. He and his wife Sarah Ann Higett had seven children( four sons, three daughters) but only one son (Cyril Severn, my great grandfather) had children. The sons (Harold, Ernest, John & Cyril) then ran the business after John.

After the second world war my grandfather (Cyril had one son and one daughter) did not want to take over the business. The family sold the business and as far as am aware the whole family moved to Devon, which is where some of us still are.

If anyone knows of good sources of images or information about his shops it would be great to find out more. The info on the forum has already been useful, i didn't know his first shop was 1873.

If there is anymore details you would like, let me know and I can ask my dad who knows a bit more than me.

Just doing a bit of family research and came across your forum. I think I might be able to help a little bit with your questions. I am a great great grandson of John Banner.

His father (Levi) was a coalminer from Greasley, Nottinghamshire and the family moved to Sheffield, sometime between 1861(no census records) and 1870. Levi died in 1870.

John was born in 1850

John was a coalminer as a twenty year old and then became a draper and set up his shops.

John did die in 1930. He and his wife Sarah Ann Higett had seven children( four sons, three daughters) but only one son (Cyril Severn, my great grandfather) had children. The sons (Harold, Ernest, John & Cyril) then ran the business after John.

After the second world war my grandfather (Cyril had one son and one daughter) did not want to take over the business. The family sold the business and as far as am aware the whole family moved to Devon, which is where some of us still are.

If anyone knows of good sources of images or information about his shops it would be great to find out more. The info on the forum has already been useful, i didn't know his first shop was 1873.

If there is anymore details you would like, let me know and I can ask my dad who knows a bit more than me.

Hi Jon and welcome to the Forum, it's good to have 'inside' information! A lot of people remember Banner's of Attercliffe with a great deal of affection.

You can find some pictures of the Attercliffe store on Picture Sheffield. (www.picturesheffield.com) Click on B on the matrix and scroll the list at the bottom. It's under Banner John Ltd then click the 'Search button at bottom right.There are 12 pictures (except the last one isn't working!)

His mother was Hannah Banner.

John was born in 1850

Hi jonbanner,

i know this thread is about 11 years old but if you are still researching your family tree, i have visited a few Banner graves in various cemeteries. I will look for Levi & Hannah Banner (nee Severn) headstone in Attercliffe Cemetery, but i did find John & Sarah Ann Banner (nee Higgett) in Crookes Cemetery.

Grave Un B 3110 of John Banner & Sarah Ann Banner (nee Higgett) (f) 1.jpg

Grave Un B 3110 of John Banner & Sarah Ann Banner (nee Higgett) (f) 2.jpg

John's brother, Levi & Mary Ann Banner (nee Rhodes), with their son Percy Rhodes Banner, are in Tinsley Park Cemetery.

Grave UnCons FA 75 of Levi Banner & Mary Ann Banner (nee Rhodes), Percy Rhodes Banner (f) 1.jpg

Grave UnCons FA 75 of Levi Banner & Mary Ann Banner (nee Rhodes), Percy Rhodes Banner (f) 2 left.jpg

Grave UnCons FA 75 of Levi Banner & Mary Ann Banner (nee Rhodes), Percy Rhodes Banner (f) 3 right.jpg

Another of John's brothers, Elijah Henry Banner & Louisa Banner (nee Elvidge) with their daughter Louisa Elvidge Banner, are in Abbey Lane Cemetery.

Grave Cons S 13096 of Elijah Henry Banner & Louisa Banner (nee Elvidge), Louisa Elvidge Banner (f) 1.jpg

Grave Cons S 13096 of Elijah Henry Banner & Louisa Banner (nee Elvidge), Louisa Elvidge Banner (f) 2.jpg

• Like 1

Here's the grave of Levi Banner & Hannah Banner (nee Severn), Daughter Mary Banner and their grandson Levi Banner in Attercliffe Cemetery.

Grave A 975 of Levi Banner & Hannah Banner (nee Severn), Levi Banner (f).jpg