Bole Hill Observatory

hilldweller

I've been aware of a mechanical woodpecker sound echoing around Lodge Moor for a couple of days now 'so this morning I went out in the car for a look around.

I didn't take long to discover that they are demolishing the University of Sheffield observatory on the top of Bole Hill, overlooking Lodge Moor and the Mayfield Valley.

I read years ago that several supposed Ley Lines are reckoned to intersect there and the little wood below across from Bennet Grange has a very spooky feel with no birdsong.

I hope they haven't disturbed any pagan deities :o :o

HD

I've been aware of a mechanical woodpecker sound echoing around Lodge Moor for a couple of days now 'so this morning I went out in the car for a look around.

I didn't take long to discover that they are demolishing the University of Sheffield observatory on the top of Bole Hill, overlooking Lodge Moor and the Mayfield Valley.

I read years ago that several supposed Ley Lines are reckoned to intersect there and the little wood below across from Bennet Grange has a very spooky feel with no birdsong.

I hope they haven't disturbed any pagan deities :o :o

HD

As the name implies, it was a lead smelting site in days of yore. A few years ago I organised some fieldwalking in a field just below, and among the finds were several pieces of lead which almost certainly came from there.

I don't know about deities, but do you know the 'ghost' story about the lane below the hill? It was in the second book about Mayfield Valley.

As the name implies, it was a lead smelting site in days of yore. A few years ago I organised some fieldwalking in a field just below, and among the finds were several pieces of lead which almost certainly came from there.

I don't know about deities, but do you know the 'ghost' story about the lane below the hill? It was in the second book about Mayfield Valley.

I read about the ghostly goings on in Spencer / Intake Lane (now Lodge Moor Road) a number of years ago. The "presence" is supposed to have lurked at the bend in the road which is where the conduit goes under the road. I must say I have never sensed anything but peace and tranquillity at that point but the little copse by Bennet Grange is a different thing. I sat there on my chariot by the horse-trough for ages and couldn't work out what was wrong, then I realised there was a complete absence of birdsong. Weird !

HD

I read about the ghostly goings on in Spencer / Intake Lane (now Lodge Moor Road) a number of years ago. The "presence" is supposed to have lurked at the bend in the road which is where the conduit goes under the road. I must say I have never sensed anything but peace and tranquillity at that point but the little copse by Bennet Grange is a different thing. I sat there on my chariot by the horse-trough for ages and couldn't work out what was wrong, then I realised there was a complete absence of birdsong. Weird !

HD

Sounds like there are some more interesting paranormal stories here which could go in michellelw's topic on haunted places in Sheffield.