Ww1 Memorials & Rolls Of Honour

Guest Trefcon

Whilst surfing the net i came across this Submariner Born in Sheffield, Died at sea thought it might interest some one.

Arthur Houseman O/N J6914 (Po)

Able Seaman Arthur Housman was born in Sheffield, Yorkshire on 9th Mar 1892 and he was the son of Sam Robins Housman and Maria Housman of 64, Stannington Road, Main Bridge, Sheffield. He was drafted to Submarine E15 on DTBR. Submarine E15 was sent to the Mediterranean to support the Dardanelles Campaign in 1915. Submarine E15 ran aground at Kephez whilst attempting to make a passage through the Dardanelles into the Sea of Marmora on 17th Apr 1915. After running aground the Submarine was shelled by the Turkish Forts in the area. Several of the crew were killed and the remainder were taken Prisoner of War by the Turks. Twenty three year old Arthur Housman was killed at the time of the loss of Submarine E15. He is commemorated on the Portsmouth Naval War Memorial on Panel No.7.

Note that the CWGC Records should be corrected such that ‘HM S/M E/5’ reads ‘HM S/M E15'.

http://www.memorials.inportsmouth.co.uk/db/naval_memorial_search.asp?results=results

Guest hjc1622

Hi I'm trying to trace where an ancestor John Arthur Candling all research points to him being mentioned in Sheffield Council Official Roll of Honour, is that the one listed as being in the City Hall or am I barking up the wrong tree? Thanks for a great website full of info!

Hi I'm trying to trace where an ancestor John Arthur Candling all research points to him being mentioned in Sheffield Council Official Roll of Honour, is that the one listed as being in the City Hall or am I barking up the wrong tree? Thanks for a great website full of info!

Yes that's the one, there is also a copy in the local studies library

See this link for the information we hold on SheffieldSoldierww1.co.uk

If you can help with any further information or if you have a photo please contact me either by PM on here or the contact page on Sheffield Soldier

Hello there,

I know it's awhile since anybody as been on here, but the pages aren't turning over so can't past page 4.

Can anybody tell me if there is a photo of Neepsend War Memorial or one at St Mary's church Neepsend.

Thanking you in advance,

Roger Thompson.

2 hours ago, Roger Thompson said:

Hello there,

I know it's awhile since anybody as been on here, but the pages aren't turning over so can't past page 4.

Can anybody tell me if there is a photo of Neepsend War Memorial or one at St Mary's church Neepsend.

Thanking you in advance,

Roger Thompson.

I have just had a quick glance and can't see what you are looking for, but you should be able to view the other pages. Have you tried reloading the tab if the next page doesn't load.

This is a problem not not just on this site but on many that use software that seem to push their luck with the latest HTML coding, leaving errors and making pages browser specific.

The other option could be try a different browser and even then you may need to reload each tab. I have just changed to Firefox because the "Unread Content" tab did not show in my favourite browser (Pale Moon).

Roll of Honour, Wilson Road Synagogue. 

t03050.jpg.c7348ae2a640664db786d9bbe2529cfc.jpgt03050  

The inscription on the bottom reads: This is dedicated to the martyrs who are in the earth and to the heroes in whom was all my delight.