Simulated Flight Around Sheffield

SteveHB

Fasten your seat belt and enjoy a flight around the south east districts of our City.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpXOmNQgOJw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x2b405b&amp;color2=0x6b8ab6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpXOmNQgOJw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x2b405b&amp;color2=0x6b8ab6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Nice find Steve,

That plane appears to be a Cessna 180, I have flown a Cessna 152 from Sheffield Aero club years ago and I have been a passenger in a 180 over Norfolk and Suffolk.

Clearly taking off and returning to Sheffield airport (is it still in operation? :unsure: )

The background appears to be some sort of Google Earth / map / street view it is flying over for the animation, but it is cleverer than that, - I am sure that some of the cars on the M1 and other major roads are actually moving in real time, which they wouldn't do on any Google / Bing / Multimap views.

Clearly taking off and returning to Sheffield airport

Sorry, but saying that immediatrely reminded me of this Hale & Pace comedy sketch

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VLYpKGVBUg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VLYpKGVBUg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Nice find Steve,

That plane appears to be a Cessna 180, I have flown a Cessna 152 from Sheffield Aero club years ago and I have been a passenger in a 180 over Norfolk and Suffolk.

Clearly taking off and returning to Sheffield airport (is it still in operation? :unsure: )

The background appears to be some sort of Google Earth / map / street view it is flying over for the animation, but it is cleverer than that, - I am sure that some of the cars on the M1 and other major roads are actually moving in real time, which they wouldn't do on any Google / Bing / Multimap views.

Wearing my flightsim nerd hat, I suspect it's FSX rather than FS9. The traffic is intriguing, as are the water textures (though both can be acquired as add-ons). The landscape is VFR( photographic)Scenery, and it's best viewed from 1500 + ft, when it's more 3 dimensional.

Sheffield airport is now out of use except for the South Yorkshire Police Copperchopper which is based there.

Wearing my flightsim nerd hat, I suspect it's FSX rather than FS9. The traffic is intriguing, as are the water textures (though both can be acquired as add-ons). The landscape is VFR( photographic)Scenery, and it's best viewed from 1500 + ft, when it's more 3 dimensional.

Sheffield airport is now out of use except for the South Yorkshire Police Copperchopper which is based there.

So we could have had a simulated flight in the CopperChopper instead.

With PC Helen Scothern on board polishing her fingernail extensions and laughing at her brother in law PC Tim Scothern running across a field on the Manor chasing after some teenage thugs who have just abandoned a stolen motorcycle and decided to leg it into a mates house for cover.

Now, - where have I seen that before? :unsure:

Where else in Britain can ordinary police officers (who I should add are seen doing a brilliant job in what is a difficult, frustrating and often dangerous occupation) be seen as TV stars in their own programme? ;-)

I beileve I did do it with FSX. It was a long time ago. It is VFR as you say, the traffic is just a result of the low resolution video. It is static I am afraid.

I am glad you liked it, thanks.