Iron Age: Brigantes constructed forts at Wincobank and Carl Wark, and the Roman Rig dyke.
c55: A Roman fort was constructed at Templeborough.
Early 9th century: The Sheffield Cross, an Anglo-Saxon cross was made. It is thought that this was erected on the (future) site of Sheffield Cathedral.
829: According to the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle, King Egbert of Wessex received the submission of King Eanred of Northumbria to at the hamlet of Dore (now a suburb of Sheffield).
942: Edmund I of England re-conquered the Midlands, as far as Dore.
1046: A chapel was built on Carter Knowle at Ecclesall.
1069/70: Any settlements in the Sheffield area were likely destroyed in the harrying of the North.
1076: Waltheof, 1st Earl of Northampton and Lord of the manor of Hallam, was executed.
c1100: William de Lovetot founded a church on the (future) site of Sheffield Cathedral.
c1150: William de Lovetot built a castle in Sheffield. He also had the first Lady's Bridge built, established a corn mill and hospital in the town, and founded St Mary's church at nearby Handsworth (now a suburb of the city).
1176 (or 1183): Beauchief Abbey was established 4 miles southwest of the town of Sheffield in Beauchief.
c1200: Metalworking began at Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet.
1266: A party of barons, led by John de Eyvill, marching from north Lincolnshire to Derbyshire passed through Sheffield and destroyed the town, burning the church and castle.
c1250: Church House at Handsworth (now the Cross Keys public house) was built.
c1270: A large stone castle was built to replace the wooden castle destroyed in 1266.
c1280: A new church was consecrated by William II Wickwane the Archbishop of York.
1296: Sheffield was granted a royal charter to hold a weekly market and an annual fair. The first reference to Sheffield's Town Mill appears.
1297: "Robert the Cutler" is recorded in a tax return, the earliest surviving reference to the manufacture of cutlery in Sheffield.
c1387: Geoffrey Chaucer in The Reeve’s Tale from his book The Canterbury Tales gave an early reference to Sheffield and the metal industry for which the town would become famous.
1430: The 1280 parish church was pulled down and replaced with a new building, the core of the present cathedral.
c1434: "Barker's Pool", Sheffield's first reservoir, was constructed. Once a month the reservoir gates were opened allowing water to wash the filth from the towns streets (with open sewers along their centres) into the River Don.
c1480: The "The hawle at the Poandes" (now the Old Queen's Head public house) was built.
1485: Lady's Bridge was replaced with a new stone-built bridge, still in existence.
c1500: Bishops' House was built.
c1510: The fourth Earl of Shrewsbury, George Talbot built the Manor Lodge outside the town.
1520: The Shrewsbury Chapel was added to Sheffield Parish Church.
1530: Cardinal Wolsey, following his arrest, was detained at the Manor Lodge for 18 days.
1537: Beauchief Abbey was dissolved, the estate becoming the property of Sir Nicholas Strelley.
1570: Mary Queen of Scots began her 14-year imprisonment at Sheffield Castle and the Manor Lodge, under the guard of George Talbot, 6th Earl of Shrewsbury
1584: Shepherd Wheel was passed to the sons of William Beighton in his will.
1621: Carbrook Hall was built.
1624: The Company of Cutlers in Hallamshire was formed to oversee the cutlery trade in the town.
1630: Attercliffe Chapel was built.
1638: The Company of Cutlers in Hallamshire erect the first Cutlers' Hall.
1642–1651: The English Civil Wars:
1642: The people of Sheffield seized Sheffield Castle for the Parliamentarians
1643: The castle was taken by Royalist forces.
1648: After a long siege the castle was once again taken by Parliamentarian forces, and an Act of Parliament passed for its demolition.
1700: Upper Chapel, the first non-conformist chapel in the city, was built.
1721: St Paul's Church is built as a chapel-of-ease to the parish church.
1736: The first buildings in Paradise Square are constructed.
1740s: Benjamin Huntsman, a clock maker in Handsworth invented a form of the crucible steel process for making a better quality of steel than had previously been available.
1743: Thomas Boulsover, working in Sheffield, invented "Sheffield plate".
1751: River Don Navigation extended to Tinsley.
1756: An Act of Parliament undertakes to turnpike the road south from Sheffield, to Chesterfield and London.
c1769: Britannia metal was invented in Sheffield, originally being known as "Vickers white metal".
1771: Paradise Square is completed.
1773: Sheffield was given a silver assay office.
c1775: The Duke of Norfolk commissioned plans for a new quarter, to be constructed on Alsop Fields.
1779: John Wesley preached in Paradise Square on 15 July.
1797: Sheffield Royal Infirmary opened.
1805: A new nave was added to the parish church.
1808: The small town hall that had stood near the parish church was replaced with a new building at the corner of Waingate and Castle Street.
1819: Sheffield Canal opened.
1832: A cholera epidemic claimed 402 lives in the town, later commemorated by the Cholera Monument.
1832: Sheffield gained representation in the House of Commons as a Parliamentary Borough
1836: Sheffield Botanical Gardens and Sheffield General Cemetery opened.
1838: A new Cutlers' Hall was built, forming the core of the current building.
1838: The first railway station in Sheffield, Sheffield Wicker station, opened on 31 October as the southern terminus of the Sheffield and Rotherham Railway.
1843: Sheffield was incorporated as a municipal borough.
1848: The Roman Catholic Church of St Marie (later a cathedral) was completed.
1848: The Wicker Arches were constructed.
1848: The parish of Sheffield was subdivided into smaller parishes.
1851: Sheffield Victoria Station opened on 15 September.
1855: Bramall Lane opened as a cricket ground.
1857: Sheffield F.C., the oldest football club in the world among those that have played, or do play, Association football (soccer), was founded.
1858: Sheffield Trades and Labour Council founded as the "Sheffield Association of Organised Trades".
1860: Hallam F.C. was founded.
1864: The Great Sheffield flood devastated large parts of the town, killing 270 people.
1864: By-laws were passed prohibiting the construction of back-to-back housing in the town.
1866: The United Kingdom Alliance of Organised Trades, a forerunner of the Trades Union Congress (TUC), was founded in Sheffield .
1867: The Sheffield Football Association founded
1867: Sheffield Wednesday F.C. was founded.
1870: Midland Main Line extension from Chesterfield to Sheffield opened, with the new terminus at Sheffield Midland station.
1873: The first trams ran in Sheffield.
1878: The first ever floodlit football match was played at Bramall Lane on 14 October.
1885: The Mappin Art Gallery opened.
1889: Sheffield United F.C. was founded.
1893: A Royal Charter granted the municipal borough of Sheffield the style and title of "city".
1897: The University of Sheffield was established.
1897: A new town hall was opened on Pinstone Street, the old building subsequently being used as the county court.
1897: The Lyceum Theatre opened.
1899: Hillsborough Stadium opened.
1913: Stainless steel was invented by Harry Brearley whilst working at the Brown Firth Laboratories in Sheffield.
1914: Sheffield became a diocese of the Church of England, and the parish church became a cathedral.
1919: Sheffield City Council began building council houses, mostly to the north and east of the city centre.
1926: The Labour Party first took control of the city council.
1934: Sheffield City Hall completed.
1934/35: Districts formerly in Derbyshire including Beauchief, Dore, Totley, Norton, and Woodseats were annexed by Sheffield.
1938: St Paul's Church was demolished to make way for an extension to the Town Hall. The extension was never built, and the site subsequently became the Peace Gardens.
1940: The "Sheffield Blitz"—heavy bombing over the nights of 12 December and 15 December led to the loss of over 660 lives, and the destruction of numerous buildings.
1955–1961: Park Hill flats were built.
1955–1962: The Gleadless Valley estate was built.
1965 The University of Sheffield Arts Tower was completed.
1971: The Crucible Theatre opened.
1974: The Local Government Act of 1972 led to the formation of the Metropolitan borough of Sheffield.
1974: Sheffield Parkway was opened.
1977: The "eggbox" extension to the Town Hall was built.
1979: The Royal Hallamshire Hospital opened.
1980: The Roman Catholic Diocese of Hallam was created with the Church of St Marie as its Cathedral.
1988: The Sheffield Development Corporation was established.
1989: The Hillsborough disaster—96 Liverpool F.C. fans were crushed to death at Hillsborough Stadium.
1990: The Meadowhall shopping centre opened.
1990: The Don Valley Stadium opened.
1991: Sheffield Arena and Ponds Forge opened.
1991: Sheffield hosted the World Student Games.
1994: The first section of the Sheffield Supertram network was opened.
1997: The Gatecrasher nightclub moved to Sheffield.
1997: The film The Full Monty (set in Sheffield) was released.
2001: The Millennium Galleries opened.
2003: The Winter Gardens opened on the site of the 1977 Town Hall extension.