Grey Horse Inn

RichardB

Where Kitty enjoyed the Blitz (photograph 1964). From Pubs and People around Sheffield - Roy Davey

Richard, just found your mention of the Grey Horse, Chester Street, Sheffield. My Gt Gt Grandparents William and Ann Greatorex kept that Pub from before the 1861 Census when it was a Beer House to a date unknown after 1891 as William died in I think September of that year.

As well as being a Publican William also ran a Milk business though I do not know where this business was kept.

I also have the following info as well concerning my Gt Grandfather William Christopher Greatorex ..

Whites Trade Directory of 1883 finds William Christopher Greatorex as the Publican of the

Sheldon Hotel at 27 and 29 Hill Street, Sheffield.

Story confirmed by Florence May Greatorex, dob: 1914. (My Aunt who is still with us at 97!)

Additionally the brother of William Christopher Greatorex also had a Pub. Per Roy Bullen, Hon Sec (in Feb 1994) of Sheffield FHS. a John Henry Greatorex is listed in the 1893 Sheffield Directory as a Beer Retailer of 22 Thomas Street. (a St Thomas Street is shown just North of Chester Street.) Now known to be called the Victoria Hotel, ie; Public House.

Regards

Mike Greatorex

Richard, just found your mention of the Grey Horse, Chester Street, Sheffield. My Gt Gt Grandparents William and Ann Greatorex kept that Pub from before the 1861 Census when it was a Beer House to a date unknown after 1891 as William died in I think September of that year. As well as being a Publican William also ran a Milk business though I do not know where this business was kept. I also have the following info as well concerning my Gt Grandfather William Christopher Greatorex .. Whites Trade Directory of 1883 finds William Christopher Greatorex as the Publican of the Sheldon Hotel at 27 and 29 Hill Street, Sheffield. Story confirmed by Florence May Greatorex, dob: 1914. (My Aunt who is still with us at 97!) Additionally the brother of William Christopher Greatorex also had a Pub. Per Roy Bullen, Hon Sec (in Feb 1994) of Sheffield FHS. a John Henry Greatorex is listed in the 1893 Sheffield Directory as a Beer Retailer of 22 Thomas Street. (a St Thomas Street is shown just North of Chester Street.) Now known to be called the Victoria Hotel, ie; Public House. Regards Mike Greatorex

Welcome to Sheffield History.

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent(Sheffield, England), Saturday, August 25, 1883;

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independen(Sheffield, England), Saturday, December 01, 1883;t