Five Arches

RichardB

A view from the Five Arches (Herries Road) whilst under construction - looking towards Oxspring Dam (on the left ), 1920's. From PictureSheffield

s17146

Didn't it carry the Sheffield to Manchester line from Victoria Station?

Yes it did. There's a group set up trying to reopen the line into Sheffield. I think I posted a link in another thread?

Out of interest, does anyone have any idea of when the Five Arches bridge was built (I think this might have been asked on here before, but I can't find it!)

Advanced "Loosing the plot" huh ?

Meanwhile, he's an engraving I did last Tuesday (or if you prefer from Illustrated Guide 1862, Pawson and Brailsford)

Looking at them digging the banking out for the bridge, does anyone remember the trough shaped wooden slides that ran down the railway embankments at Neepsend.

I have seen a picture of the five arches with sheep grazing underneath. I always thought it was built in the 1800's.

I have seen a picture of the five arches with sheep grazing underneath. I always thought it was built in the 1800's.

Here's one with a horse & train from Peter Harvey's 3rd helping of Sheffield.

How did that Boncho? bloke manage that grafitti on the viaduct and are they still together? At least a tatoo will fade abit after 30 years!

How did that Boncho? bloke manage that grafitti on the viaduct and are they still together?

lol

ha ha ha ha !!!

Amazing how EVERYONE knows that graffiti !!

Rawson Meadows, thats where the new Wetherspoons in Hillsborough( Rawson Spring) gets its name

It's more likely the pub is named after Rawson Spring :) .

Most of the area between Walkley lane and Langsett road down to Hill Bridge, before it was built up, was known as Rawson Spring (including Rawson Spring Wood and Rawson Spring farm). It was owned by the parent branch of the Rawson family who eventually acquired Wardsend.

quite possibly- that cutting was taken from a scrapbook i was loaned and the page it was on had 1930 written on the top!

It would appear that Herries Road was built as part of the Unemployed Relieff Works, £55,000 was spent in the year to March 1923 and a further £27,000 in the year to March 1924 so I guess the opening would have been in 1924!