Cemetery Road

RichardB

I've been contacted by the current owner of the Vine, Cemetery Road - whislt the Pub history is fairly sparse (3 keepers only), I thought I don't know much about the Road itself and its history. Anyone anything to contribute please ?

I've been contacted by the current owner of the Vine, Cemetery Road - whislt the Pub history is fairly sparse (3 keepers only), I thought I don't know much about the Road itself and its history. Anyone anything to contribute please ?

George Thomas Lockwood, Secretary, Sheffield District Rechabites, 1925

Rechabites ???

George Thomas Lockwood, Secretary, Sheffield District Rechabites, 1925

Rechabites ???

It's a religion thing to do with The Children of Israel.

Descendants of Rechab.

The Rechabite Society was Founded in 1835 by people who wanted to abstain from alcohol.

(Why you would need to join a society for that I don't know. I don't take drugs but I manage it quite independently). :unsure:

It's a religion thing to do with The Children of Israel.

Descendants of Rechab.

The Rechabite Society was Founded in 1835 by people who wanted to abstain from alcohol.

(Why you would need to join a society for that I don't know. I don't take drugs but I manage it quite independently). :unsure:

Possibly locating it next the the Vine Pub was testing their metal, huh ?

"Scuse Me Mr. President Rechab-Chap, I'm just popping out for a minute <HIC>"

JULY - AUGUST 1887

The Vine figured in the gruesome murder of Ada Stothard, wife of John Henry Stothard, a horn manufacturer, who lived in nearby Montague-street, Cemetery-road. It was here that the inquest was held by the Sheffield Coroner Mr Dossey Wightman. The assailant Henry Hobson was found guilty of murder and hanged in Armley Goal.

The case was unusual in that Hobson was hung in little over a month since the murder was committed.

Ada is buried in Burngreave Cemetery

Some assorted facts...

Cemetery Rd was built at about the time the General Cemetery was extended in 1848.

Prior to that it was a lane called Mackenzie Walk, after the Rev. Alexander Mackenzie, curate of St Paul’s from 1778 to 1816, who lived at Sharrow Head.

The Vestry Hall was built in 1857, and the Baptist Church in 1859.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s04244

Lansdowne Chapel (Plymouth Brethren) was built around 1900. (With them and The Rechabite Society nearby The Vine must have been up against it!)

Otherwise the road was lined with terraced houses.

No.311 Cemetery Rd (Sharrow Head House) was built around 1763.

At the end of Cemetery Rd at the junction with Sharrow Vale Rd is Westbrook Mill, originally steam powered, and built as a result of a dispute in the Wilson family. It is now converted to offices.