Olivers Field

Guest NahThenLad

Guest NahThenLad

CAN ANYBODY PLZ HELP ON INFO ON WHAT WAS Called... OLIVERS FIELD IN HANDSWORTH,My Grandma Was Born There In Caravan 2 And I'm Researching.

CAN ANYBODY PLZ HELP ON INFO ON WHAT WAS Called... OLIVERS FIELD IN HANDSWORTH,My Grandma Was Born There In Caravan 2 And I'm Researching.

NahThenLad, welcome to Sheffield History ;-)

If your grandmother was born in a caravan in a field at Handsworth it is likely she was from a family of travellers, either Romany gypsy or travelling fairground.

As these people moved about so much they frequently missed official records like census returns and are therefore often difficult to trace.

There is a thread which offers advice and help on this here

Travelling Families

When exactly was your grandmother born, in particular which month of the year?

If she is from travelling showman there was a Handsworth Feast (fair) every year in August (so was she born in August?)

It was at Handsworth Feast on 17 August 1889 that my great, great grandfather murdered his wife and was subsequently hung at Armley Jail, Leeds on 31 December 1889. The full story of this is told in David Bentleys book "The Sheffield Murders 1865 - 1965"

According to the book my g.g. grandfather and his fellow travellers made camp on a field adjoining the Royal Hotel, Handsworth, for the duration of the feast and had done so for many years as they were regular attenders.

Could the field adjacent to the Royal Hotel (which I believe is still there today) be the field known as Olivers field?

At a guess it could be somewhere near Olivers Mount at Handsworth, the site of Handsworth Sporting Club, next to High Hazels park.

I don't know and I don't really know where the Royal Hotel is either.

I was quite hoping that SteveHB would be able to pull us a map up out of the archive and show us where these locations are.

There were a lot of Olivers around Handsworth, farmers and butchers, so may be it would be on one of their fields that Travellers camped on a regular basis Arthur

Guest NahThenLad

Hiya,

I have just come across a photo of my Grandma when she was 5 years old,She was born 1931 & on the birth cert it says Handsworth.... the photo shows Langsett Avenue. On the photo there appears to be a gate to a field, Surely this would nt be the Olivers field as I dont think they would call the area of Langsett Avenue as Handsworth?

Can anybody give any infomation on the photo?

Hiya,

I have just come across a photo of my Grandma when she was 5 years old,She was born 1931 & on the birth cert it says Handsworth.... the photo shows Langsett Avenue. On the photo there appears to be a gate to a field, Surely this would nt be the Olivers field as I dont think they would call the area of Langsett Avenue as Handsworth?

Can anybody give any infomation on the photo?

The photo is definately the top of Langsett Avenue, Wadsley. I have seen a very similar photo in a book somewhere which suggests that the large poplar type tree was pinched from a row of young trees set in the grounds of Middlewood Hospital.

HD

Guest NahThenLad

The photo is definately the top of Langsett Avenue, Wadsley. I have seen a very similar photo in a book somewhere which suggests that the large poplar type tree was pinched from a row of young trees set in the grounds of Middlewood Hospital.

HD

Thank you for the infomation...The people in the photo are my relations.

Thank you for the infomation...The people in the photo are my relations.

It a fair old way from Handsworth in south east Sheffield to Wadsley in the north west.

Are we sure that Olivers Field is in Handsworth? or is it in Wadsley?

That's the trouble with travelling families, - they move about a bit and its hard to keep track of them. <_<

HD

Further to the above I've found the book I mentioned and it's the identical photo. The book is Around Bradfield, Loxley and Hillsborough by Malcolm Nunn (page 98). There is a list of photo contributers in the front of the book, perhaps one of your relatives provided the photo.

HD