Haydn Taylor - fao Deansgirl

dunsbyowl1867

Hi Dean

Any information on this chap?

'22 August 1935

Sheffield born, Cleethorpes Dentist, Haydn Taylor was the first person to swim the English Channel in 1935. A keen athlete he served with the City Battalion in the First World War and was wonded on the fist day of the Battle of the Somme, 1 July 1916.'

Cheers

Guest Trefcon

I have this lad, image taken about late 1916/early 1917.

Have you got a link or anything else for Haydn ?

Dean.

Dean.

t is also claimed he was the first man to swim the Humber ! - there are a few articles of Cleethorpes/grimbsby sites. I do have a phto when he swam the Channel but he is much older. I will scan and post

Cheers Dean

Guest 30_degrees

t is also claimed he was the first man to swim the Humber ! - there are a few articles of Cleethorpes/grimbsby sites. I do have a phto when he swam the Channel but he is much older. I will scan and post

Cheers Dean

Hi all,

I have a fair bit about Haydn which I will upload when I get time but this ... 1935 Taylor Haydn M 13 Solo F/E 14hrs 38mins 22-08-35 England is from Visit Haydn Taylor

Catch you later

Guest 30_degrees

Look forward to see what you have on Haydn 30 degrees.

Dean.

Oh all right a couple of titbits re Haydn and Newton Chambers (seperate post) then I really must get some work done or i'll be looking for lodgings! lol:huh:

Guest 30_degrees

Dean.

Hi Deansgirl,

Thanks for the images of Haydn about whom I am still trying to research. Haydn apparently joined the York's and Lanc's underage and I am keen to see a copy of his service record. Recent attempts to trace family via Lincolnshire records have drawn a blank so I have to try other means. I have tried to open the document accompanying the photo in paint but the image is too pixilated to read. I was wondering if the image could be emailed to me so that I can use the detail to try and obtain records?

Thanks

Chris

Guest Trefcon

Hi Chris, there doesn't seem to be any papers surviving for him. There is his MIC but i assume you have that.

If by detail you mean the wording under the image it just states Private H. Taylor, York & Lancs, wounded.

PM me an e-mail address and i'll send you an image.

This is not definately Haydn, just an image of an H. Taylor.

Dean.

Guest 30_degrees

Hi Chris, there doesn't seem to be any papers surviving for him. There is his MIC but i assume you have that.

If by detail you mean the wording under the image it just states Private H. Taylor, York & Lancs, wounded.

PM me an e-mail address and i'll send you an image.

This is not definately Haydn, just an image of an H. Taylor.

Dean.

Here you go, Haydn and team mate Eddie Stockwood with Coach Mr. McNally 16 August 1932. Eddie looks proper chunky at the side of Haydn. Plenty of squats by the look of it? Picture cropped from nearly 3.5MB

Guest 30_degrees

Haydn Taylor, Artificial teeth manufacturer, 51 Page Hall Road (White's 1919)

Wow, that's a bit we didn't know about. My brother will be chuffed as he trained to be a Dental Technician at Charles Clifford DH and has had his own workshop for many years now. Apparently anyone could be a dentist and cobble in someone's mouth up until 1924 when, if you wanted to work in dentistry you had to get a degree and register with the GMC. Open wide he he

'22 August 1935

Sheffield born, Cleethorpes Dentist, Haydn Taylor was the first person to swim the English Channel in 1935.

You didn't mention he set off from Cap Grisnez, near Calais, at 1.35am and arrived just west of Dover to complete the crossing at 4.23pm.

The swim duration of 14 hours and 48 minutes was the eighth fastest crossing at the time.

Source

Guest Trefcon

Talking about the teeth aspect, i wonder if he was in the market to buy old ones ? Uggh!!

This from the Independent of about 1916. I think it was either President Lincoln or Washington that had a wooden set!

Dean

Guest Carol Haydn Taylor

Hi all,

I have a fair bit about Haydn which I will upload when I get time but this ... 1935 Taylor Haydn M 13 Solo F/E 14hrs 38mins 22-08-35 England is from Visit Haydn Taylor

Catch you later

Hi

My name is Oliver Haydn Taylor and I am Haydn Taylor's grandson. I came across various exchanges on this site regarding my grandfather as a result of setting up a Google Alert on the name Haydn Taylor and this is my first post (apologies I set up myself and my wife but I haven't got my log in details to hand so I am using her login). It was very exciting to see so much interest in my grandfather who I sadly did not meet as he died months before I was born in 1962. I am aware of all his swimming feats and I have recently come into possesion of a lot of information on him as my father (Dr Derek Haydn Taylor) died aged 82 a year ago tomorrow. I haven't got all of the photos that appear here though. I am not absolutely sure about the 1916 picture - it certainly could be him but I suspect might not be.

He was indeed the first person to swim the Humber according to family legend although I haven't as yet found any written evidence. I was very interested to see the post from "Chris". I had no idea that Haydn had a half relation however his mother Miriam died aged 28 in 1907. His father, who was also known as Haydn Taylor, did end up with someone called Annie but that is pretty much all I know. I researched the family history ten or fifteen years ago and I have an interesting family tree database but with a lot of gaps. Fortunately I put as much into the database from my father's recollections as I could get from him before he died. I would certainly like to hear from Chris so we can compare family history notes.

I am actually known as Haydn Taylor although my first name is Oliver. My father came to Jersey where I live in the fifties and there were a number of Dr Taylors which confused the patients so my father added his middle name (Haydn) to his surname by usage. Over a fifty year period it became a well known name here and the whole family changed name by deed poll to Haydn Taylor as a surname in the nineties however as I had always been known as Haydn it has caused some confusion understandably!

I am completely new to this site and I haven't quite worked out all the functionality and etiquette but I hope this post prompts some exchanges and we all get to learn a bit more about Haydn Taylor and our family history and indeed Sheffield History.

Haydn Taylor

Guest Trefcon

Hi Haydn, and welcome.

You can put on here anything you have on your Grandfather.

I think Chris will be pleased when he sees your post.

regards

Dean.

Guest 30_degrees

Hi

My name is Oliver Haydn Taylor and I am Haydn Taylor's grandson. I came across various exchanges on this site regarding my grandfather as a result of setting up a Google Alert on the name Haydn Taylor and this is my first post (apologies I set up myself and my wife but I haven't got my log in details to hand so I am using her login). It was very exciting to see so much interest in my grandfather who I sadly did not meet as he died months before I was born in 1962. I am aware of all his swimming feats and I have recently come into possesion of a lot of information on him as my father (Dr Derek Haydn Taylor) died aged 82 a year ago tomorrow. I haven't got all of the photos that appear here though. I am not absolutely sure about the 1916 picture - it certainly could be him but I suspect might not be.

He was indeed the first person to swim the Humber according to family legend although I haven't as yet found any written evidence. I was very interested to see the post from "Chris". I had no idea that Haydn had a half relation however his mother Miriam died aged 28 in 1907. His father, who was also known as Haydn Taylor, did end up with someone called Annie but that is pretty much all I know. I researched the family history ten or fifteen years ago and I have an interesting family tree database but with a lot of gaps. Fortunately I put as much into the database from my father's recollections as I could get from him before he died. I would certainly like to hear from Chris so we can compare family history notes.

I am actually known as Haydn Taylor although my first name is Oliver. My father came to Jersey where I live in the fifties and there were a number of Dr Taylors which confused the patients so my father added his middle name (Haydn) to his surname by usage. Over a fifty year period it became a well known name here and the whole family changed name by deed poll to Haydn Taylor as a surname in the nineties however as I had always been known as Haydn it has caused some confusion understandably!

I am completely new to this site and I haven't quite worked out all the functionality and etiquette but I hope this post prompts some exchanges and we all get to learn a bit more about Haydn Taylor and our family history and indeed Sheffield History.

Haydn Taylor

YAHOOOOOO!!! At long last I can put the Haydn Taylor family history shovel back in the shed lol pm on the way. Welcome to the site Haydn and Carol

Guest 30_degrees

Hi

Haydn Taylor

Hello again Carol and Haydn,

I have tried to pm you but your member settings are set not allow me to.

Please pm me so that we can establish contact. :)

Cheers

Chris

Hello again Carol and Haydn,

I have tried to pm you but your member settings are set not allow me to.

Please pm me so that we can establish contact. :)

Cheers

Chris

Chris I have sent you a PM regarding the sites new PM restrictions.

Steve