Jeux Sans Frontieres

Stuart0742

Its a Knockout and its European version Jeux Sans Frontieres ran for many years.

Both were filmed/broadcast from Arbourthorne Playing Fields during the 1970's. Does anybody have memories or photographs of these events.

At least 2 members of this site lived within a few hundred yards of Arbourthorne Playing fields.

Its a Knockout and its European version Jeux Sans Frontieres ran for many years.

Both were filmed/broadcast from Arbourthorne Playing Fields during the 1970's. Does anybody have memories or photographs of these events.

At least 2 members of this site lived within a few hundred yards of Arbourthorne Playing fields.

No photos to offer on this one Stuart but I can add a few details and corrections.

Firstly, at the time as you know the distance from our house (opposite the Carlton) was probably less than 100 yards (91.6 metres, modern units again) from the Arbourthorne Playing Fields , but our previous house in the prefabs actually backed onto the fields.

There was only ever one event held on Arbourthorne playing fields, this was the British version called "Its a knock out" and it was held in 1971, I think around May or June. It was a match between Sheffield (the home team) and Congleton. The reason there was only one Its a knock out from this location is because Sheffield was knocked out, loosing to Congleton.

The international version, called Jeux Sans Frontières wasn't played on Arbourthorne playing fields but in Norfolk Park, - a little bit further from our house but still within walking distance. This took place on Friday 4 August 1972. I can't remember how many countries took part (I think 6 was the usual number) or who won except that it wasn't "Angleterre" as they used to call us Internationally before we became "Grande Bretagne" and later still "Roi Omini" as we were well behind. I had to leave before the official final results were announced as it finished quite late and I had to be up early next morning as we were off on holiday to Blackpool.

No photos to offer on this one Stuart but I can add a few details and corrections.

Firstly, at the time as you know the distance from our house (opposite the Carlton) was probably less than 100 yards (91.6 metres, modern units again) from the Arbourthorne Playing Fields , but our previous house in the prefabs actually backed onto the fields.

There was only ever one event held on Arbourthorne playing fields, this was the British version called "Its a knock out" and it was held in 1971, I think around May or June. It was a match between Sheffield (the home team) and Congleton. The reason there was only one Its a knock out from this location is because Sheffield was knocked out, loosing to Congleton.

The international version, called Jeux Sans Frontières wasn't played on Arbourthorne playing fields but in Norfolk Park, - a little bit further from our house but still within walking distance. This took place on Friday 4 August 1972. I can't remember how many countries took part (I think 6 was the usual number) or who won except that it wasn't "Angleterre" as they used to call us Internationally before we became "Grande Bretagne" and later still "Roi Omini" as we were well behind. I had to leave before the official final results were announced as it finished quite late and I had to be up early next morning as we were off on holiday to Blackpool.

About 5 chains away then :)

Dissapointed there are no photo's

About 5 chains away then :)

Dissapointed there are no photo's

I seem to have loads of photos and even 8mm film of later events in Norfolk Park, like the 1981 transport show I have already started posting and there are also the Civil War re-enactments, motorcycle display teams, funfairs etc which I will get round to posting eventually.

Very few events took place on Arbourthorne playing field except football matches. It seems to be the home ground of a Sunday league team which used to be called Arbourthorne EA (short for "Eastern Avenue") and a few pub teams. I certainly have 8mm film of a Fellbrigg football team playing a charity match up there around 1984 but not much else.

I seem to have loads of photos and even 8mm film of later events in Norfolk Park, like the 1981 transport show I have already started posting and there are also the Civil War re-enactments, motorcycle display teams, funfairs etc which I will get round to posting eventually.

Very few events took place on Arbourthorne playing field except football matches. It seems to be the home ground of a Sunday league team which used to be called Arbourthorne EA (short for "Eastern Avenue") and a few pub teams. I certainly have 8mm film of a Fellbrigg football team playing a charity match up there around 1984 but not much else.

I can remember being taken to see the 1971 It's a Knockout, but my recollection is that it was SHeffield versus Scunthorpe, and Scunthorpe won. Other than that all I remember was it aeemed a lot longer and much less entertaining than watching it on the telly!

A bit of digging comes up with this info on the Arbourthorne event: scrolling down the page is necessary to find the Sheffield vs Scunthorpe section.

http://www.jsfnet.co.uk/series_1971_iak.htm

And on the 1972 programme here:

http://www.jsfnet.co.uk/series_1972_jsf.htm

I don't remember this one at all. Why was it filmed in Sheffield when the UK representatives were Congleton?

Its a Knockout and its European version Jeux Sans Frontières ran for many years.

And one member used to work on It's a K.O..

I used to work full time (and still do the odd event now and then) for 2 of my friends who own the Corporate Events company, Off Limits - Of Limits bought the original It's a Knockout and all it's antique 60's props from Stuart Hall. Stuart bought it from the BBC when they discontinued the TV series in the 80's Stuart still does the odd compere job for us/them if the customer wants to pay the extra for his (large) fee. I've worked all over the country and abroad with it. Notably in Rome where we put the show on at the president of Rome Football club's private house and grounds.

A couple of photos.

1/ John, (co-owner of It's a KO) Stuart Hall and me

2/ Modelling a couple of Fat Schoolboy kits - me on the right

Link to the present It's a Knockout website

To add to the above. - Forgot to do it last night.

I was in a team that were in the (would they be called auditions) for the main team in the 1970's. They were held on the Bolehills, Crookes. We failed miserably and didn't make it as one of the proper teams. Can't remember if it was It's a KO or Jeux Sans Frontieres, or anything else about it really.

If looks could kill they probably will

In games without frontiers

War without tears

Peter Gabriel

I can remember being taken to see the 1971 It's a Knockout, but my recollection is that it was SHeffield versus Scunthorpe, and Scunthorpe won. Other than that all I remember was it aeemed a lot longer and much less entertaining than watching it on the telly!

A bit of digging comes up with this info on the Arbourthorne event: scrolling down the page is necessary to find the Sheffield vs Scunthorpe section.

http://www.jsfnet.co.uk/series_1971_iak.htm

And on the 1972 programme here:

http://www.jsfnet.co.uk/series_1972_jsf.htm

I don't remember this one at all. Why was it filmed in Sheffield when the UK representatives were Congleton?

You are right madannie, my memory has confused things here a bit.

It was Scunthorpe in the local match on Arbourthorne Field. I have confused it with Congleton as they represented Britain in the International match in Norfolk Park.

Like you say, why choose a Sheffield venue when the British team is from Cheshire?

Stuart still does the odd compere job for us/them if the customer wants to pay the extra for his (large) fee.

Major correction here vox,

Stuart Hall NEVER did a proper commentary on either "It's a knock out or "Jeux Sans Frontières"

All he did was fall about laughing at whatever was happening for the entire duration of the show.

His commentary was more like putting sixpence into that clown in a glass case at the end of Blackpool pier or listening to a "laughing policeman" record.

Makes you wonder who he could, and still can, command such a large fee for a "commentary" of continuous laughter.

A couple of photos.

1/ John, (co-owner of It's a KO) Stuart Hall and me

2/ Modelling a couple of Fat Schoolboy kits - me on the right

Link to the present It's a Knockout website

Is this the first appearance of vox himself on this site?

Late last year Stuart0742 started a thread somewhere for silly pictures of members (and being dressed for "its a knock out" counts as silly). Only a few members, most notably Stuart0742, myself, deansgirl and skeets post anything.

Now that mike142sl and vox have dared make similar postings perhaps we should revitalise the members picture thread, - I think it was called "Rogues Gallery" or something like that.

Major correction here vox,

Stuart Hall NEVER did a proper commentary on either "It's a knock out or "Jeux Sans Frontières"

All he did was fall about laughing at whatever was happening for the entire duration of the show.

His commentary was more like putting sixpence into that clown in a glass case at the end of Blackpool pier or listening to a "laughing policeman" record.

Makes you wonder who he could, and still can, command such a large fee for a "commentary" of continuous laughter.

I know, I think the same.

Most of the KO staff, including myself, have compered events time after time and had great response and successful events.

But when Stuart does an event, everything moves up a gear and you can sense the difference in atmosphere in the crowd. He is, no matter what you or I think of him, a proper trooper who does his job come rain or shine. I've sat in the marquee area with him a couple of times when he's been a bit "off colour" but when it's Showtime, the striped blazer goes on, and along with it, the whole personality.

Although in reality he's quite a pleasant down to earth bloke, I personally find his "act" a bit sickly. - But -- "it's bums on seats that count" as they say.

Is this the first appearance of vox himself on this site?

Late last year Stuart0742 started a thread somewhere for silly pictures of members (and being dressed for "its a knock out" counts as silly). Only a few members, most notably Stuart0742, myself, deansgirl and skeets post anything.

Here's one of me without a silly costume or a diguise so you can see me just as I am.

Taken on a day when the staff just got the equipment out and had a blast on everything we could find.

I know, I think the same.

Most of the KO staff, including myself, have compered events time after time and had great response and successful events.

But when Stuart does an event, everything moves up a gear and you can sense the difference in atmosphere in the crowd. He is, no matter what you or I think of him, a proper trooper who does his job come rain or shine. I've sat in the marquee area with him a couple of times when he's been a bit "off colour" but when it's Showtime, the striped blazer goes on, and along with it, the whole personality.

Although in reality he's quite a pleasant down to earth bloke, I personally find his "act" a bit sickly. - But -- "it's bums on seats that count" as they say.

Yes, his presentation of sports programmes and other commentaries are very professional and very, very different from his "laughter all the way" approach in IAKO and JSF.

To be fair, it was not just Stuarts own laughter in these programs, his partnership and co-hosting with the late rugby commentator Eddie "up and under" Wareing was brilliant, - the laughter and antics of both of them together was more than double the entertainment value of either one alone.

Yes, his presentation of sports programmes and other commentaries are very professional and very, very different from his "laughter all the way" approach in IAKO and JSF.

To be fair, it was not just Stuarts own laughter in these programs, his partnership and co-hosting with the late rugby commentator Eddie "up and under" Wareing was brilliant, - the laughter and antics of both of them together was more than double the entertainment value of either one alone.

As a sideline he started a travel company but changed the name when someone pointed out the initial abbreviation of Stuart Hall International Travel.

Me and my dad went to see it. However we got there late, but before it started, so it was packed with people. So packed we couldn't see any of it. Despite several announcements from the likes of Hall, the crowd at the front wouldn't sit down so those at the back could see. In the end we gave up. And went home disappointed at such a badly organised event. We watched it on TV. I recall the Sheffield team lost. Rather fitting in the circumstances.