Norfolk Park Transport Rally 1981

DaveH

I have just come across some pictures I took in September 1981 in Norfolk Park when it hosted a transport festival.

Most of these are of old cars and motorcycles (an interest of mine at the time)

But just to get started, especially for busman, transit, and Stuart0742 who love to identify these things here are a few pictures of buses which attended.

I have a colleage at work called Nev who is well into buses and I remember I took these pictures for him to look at and try to identify everything.

Guest transit

I have just come across some pictures I took in September 1981 in Norfolk Park when it hosted a transport festival.

Most of these are of old cars and motorcycles (an interest of mine at the time)

But just to get started, especially for busman, transit, and Stuart0742 who love to identify these things here are a few pictures of buses which attended.

I have a colleage at work called Nev who is well into buses and I remember I took these pictures for him to look at and try to identify everything.

...many thanks for sharing those pics Dave.Used to love going to this show at Norfolk Park , but was often spoiled by the weather cos if wet , it was treacherous getting the heavy buses off the grass at the end of the show. The same annual show still takes place , this year on 20 Sept 2009 , at Meadowhall Coach Park (with Tinsley Viaduct in the background) and of course this is on hardstanding ground ! More info here... www.sheffieldbusmuseum.com

...many thanks for sharing those pics Dave.Used to love going to this show at Norfolk Park , but was often spoiled by the weather cos if wet , it was treacherous getting the heavy buses off the grass at the end of the show. The same annual show still takes place , this year on 20 Sept 2009 , at Meadowhall Coach Park (with Tinsley Viaduct in the background) and of course this is on hardstanding ground ! More info here... www.sheffieldbusmuseum.com

Thanks transit.

Perhaps an administrator could add this years event to the site diary with a link to the bus museum page for anyone interested in going

Being in September it frequently was wet, and having worked on steam rallies in very wet muddy conditions with traction engines up to 30 tons laden to move on and off a field I know what a problem it can be.

I thought Norfolk Park was chosen because, although the standing was on grass, they could parade the vehicles around the circular pathway which goes around the park.

A few 3 wheeled vehicles on display, - another interest of mine, although I may have got some of the makes and models mixed up with old age :(

A Bond Bug,

Only made for a few years in the early 1970's before Bond became part of Reliant

A Messerschmidt, made by the German aircraft company after the war, clearly from leftover aircraft parts.

A Heinkel,

Note the motorcycle saddle seating and aircraft type handlebars, 40 years earlier they made aircraft to bomb Sheffield, but then they made little 3 wheel cars!

A BMW Isetta "bubble car"

I wonder how many of those arrogant self centred BMW drivers would be as confident if they had one of these?

Guest bus man

Thanks transit.

..................I thought Norfolk Park was chosen because, although the standing was on grass, they could parade the vehicles around the circular pathway which goes around the park.

Norfolk park was chosen partly for political reasons the rally was run by south yorkshire transport society in assosiatioin with SYCC as a result it had to be go through all parts of south yorkshire it started - usually - at doncaster in the field next to the then fire station (oposite the racecourse) but did start in other areas such as mexborough on one occasion the rally then went round all 4 parts of the county it ended in norfolk park but did use hillsborough park on at least one occasion.

The comment above regarding buses and mud is true i have various photos of buses been pushed out of the mud when it was very wet buses were parked on the run way thich restriced access.

Meadowhall the current site for the rally is ideal as it is hardstanding

Norfolk park was chosen partly for political reasons the rally was run by south yorkshire transport society in assosiatioin with SYCC as a result it had to be go through all parts of south yorkshire it started - usually - at doncaster in the field next to the then fire station (oposite the racecourse) but did start in other areas such as mexborough on one occasion the rally then went round all 4 parts of the county it ended in norfolk park but did use hillsborough park on at least one occasion.

The comment above regarding buses and mud is true i have various photos of buses been pushed out of the mud when it was very wet buses were parked on the run way thich restriced access.

Meadowhall the current site for the rally is ideal as it is hardstanding

Thanks busman, I do remember seeing, - but not photographing, - a similar show at Hillsborough Park. Possibly round about the same time, late 70's, early 80's?

Guest bus man

Think it was the 80s if my memory serves me correctly think it was held because norfolk was been used for a opera event in a big tent . I remember photographing the specials with bus ques with people dressed in dinner jackets !

Thanks busman, I do remember seeing, - but not photographing, - a similar show at Hillsborough Park. Possibly round about the same time, late 70's, early 80's?

I only did that SYCC run once and that was with a Dennis Domino. We started opposite Doncaster racecourse and finished up in Hillsborough park. As for the year I would say 1986. W/A.

Guest bus man

I have vague thoughts of stuff in SYT livery parked against the wall on parkside road and possibly the first road show bus I need to find my photos or go into the sheffield central library and go though the yorkshire wheels and M&Ts

Guest bus man

Right chaps ive spent the afternoon in the archive at central library going though old copies of M&T news the magazine of the Sheffield Omnibus Enthusiasts Society the following dates are for the SYTS rally at norfolk park or where ever it was held I have inlcluded some dates for PTE open days as well (this is not a full list of PTE open days)

Any errors in this is mine as I didnt have a lot of time, I have included the rally report where it gives any details - hope this helps

28th Septemper 1975

Leave Barnsley @ 930 to norfolk park

26th September 1976

25th September 1977

Barnsley to Sheffield via Doncaster

Frequent heavy showers spoiled the event

24th September1978

Barnsley through Doncaster and Rotherham to Sheffield

30th September 1979

Held at Locke park Barnsley – no mention of what the road run did- I remember 1156 been used by the syts and the council to check trees for this event

See photo - The checking of the park was rather odd as the park was used for the locke park event anway the SYTS Booth And Fisher Monocoach was also used for this trial which was held one Friday evening - I dont think transit was there I seem to remember him been dragged on a family holiday

28th September 1980

Norfolk Park

it was raining and quite nasty. However soon after lunch out came the sun and by the time the parade of vehicles took place the park was full of people enjoying the afternoon sun .

27th September1981

26th September1982

25th Sep 1983

For the first time in many years the day remained fine – it does help

30th September1984

(1156 had passed to the pte so thereofore the reports aren't as detailed as the SOES didn’t have an input although its members did assist with the rally

Herries Road open day mentioned

10th August 1985

Greenland Rd od

8th September1985

Leicester avenue open day

22nd September 1985

21st Sept 1986

Hillsborough park

5th Oct 1985

Halfway y od

Cant find a date

13th September 1987

Hillsborough park

1988 M&T missing dont think they had a rally

24th September 1989

Sheffield Tram rally Norfolk Pk

1990 not mentioned

Right chaps ive spent the afternoon in the archive at central library going though old copies of M&T news the magazine of the Sheffield Omnibus Enthusiasts Society the following dates are for the SYTS rally at norfolk park or where ever it was held I have inlcluded some dates for PTE open days as well this is not a full list of PTE open days

Any errors in this is mine as I didnt have a lot of time, I have included the rally report where it gives any details - hope this helps

28th Septemper 1975

|Leave Barnsley @ 930 to norfolk park

26th September 1976

25th September 1977

24th September1978

barnsley through Doncaster and Rotherham to Sheffield

30th September 1979

Held at locke park Barnsley – no mention of what the road run did- I remember 1156 been used by the syts and the council to check trees for this event

See photo - The checking of the park was rather odd as the park was used for the locke park event anway the SYTS Booth And Fisher Monocoach was also used for this trial which was held one Friday evening - I dont think transit was there I seem to remember him been dragged on a family holiday

28th September 1980

Norfolk Park

it was raining and quite nasty. However soon after lunch out came the sun and by the time the parade of vehicles took place the park was full of people enjoying the afternoon sun .

27th September1981

26th September1982

25th Sep 1983

30th September1984

(1156 had passed to the pte so thereofore the reports arnt as detailed as the SOES didn’t have an input although its members did assist with the rally

herries road open day mentioned

10th August1985

greenland rd od

8th September1985

Leicester avenue open day d

22nd September 1985

21st Sept 1986

Hillsborough park

5th Oct 1985

Halfway y od

Cant find a date

13th September1987

Hillsborough park

1988 M&T missing dont hink they had a raaly

24th September 1989

Sheffield tran rally norfolk pk

1990 not mentioned

The pictures I have been posting of the event in Norfolk Park are from the 27 September 1981, using bus mans list as a guide.

Guest transit

Right chaps ive spent the afternoon in the archive at central library going though old copies of M&T news the magazine of the Sheffield Omnibus Enthusiasts Society the following dates are for the SYTS rally at norfolk park or where ever it was held I have inlcluded some dates for PTE open days as well this is not a full list of PTE open days

28th Septemper 1975

|Leave Barnsley @ 930 to norfolk park

26th September 1976

25th September 1977

24th September1978

barnsley through Doncaster and Rotherham to Sheffield

30th September 1979

Held at locke park Barnsley – no mention of what the road run did- I remember 1156 been used by the syts and the council to check trees for this event

28th September 1980

Norfolk Park

27th September1981

26th September1982

25th Sep 1983

30th September1984

(1156 had passed to the pte so thereofore the reports arnt as detailed as the SOES didn’t have an input although its members did assist with the rally

herries road open day mentioned

10th August1985

greenland rd od

8th September1985

Leicester avenue open day d

22nd September 1985

21st Sept 1986

Hillsborough park

5th Oct 1985

Halfway y od

Cant find a date

13th September1987

Hillsborough park

1988 M&T missing dont hink they had a raaly

24th September 1989

Sheffield tran rally norfolk pk

1990 not mentioned

...heres one you missed listing -one of the first "bus" related show i attended - Central Works Open Day, Queens Rd. June/july? 1975.

Moving on to some cars at this event

Before the companies were combined which was better...

Austin or Morris?

There's only one way to find out .........

As a result of rarely throwing anything like this away, images of the programmes for the first two South Yorkshire transport rallies:

There is a note on the inside front cover that the road run started in Barnsley and passed through Doncaster and Rotherham before the display in Norfolk Park - no route details or times!

Front cover

Back Cover

At least there are timings and some sort of map this time! I think it was this year I went with my father to watch the road run at Wickersley before going to Norfolk Park.

As a result of rarely throwing anything like this away, images of the programmes for the first two South Yorkshire transport rallies:

There is a note on the inside front cover that the road run started in Barnsley and passed through Doncaster and Rotherham before the display in Norfolk Park - no route details or times!

Front cover

Back Cover

At least there are timings and some sort of map this time! I think it was this year I went with my father to watch the road run at Wickersley before going to Norfolk Park.

Thanks madannie77, brought back a lot of happy memories as I went to the 1975 one with my dad.

More rummaging in piles of paper has revealed the 1978 programme: usual route from Barnsley at 9am to Doncaster Racecourse with a display from 10.30 to 11.30 am, then via Tickhill, Maltbym, Rotherham and Chapeltown for the main event in Norfolk Park.

Another event which I don't think has been mentioned yet is the Greenland Road open day of 1983: