Bread and Jam Murder

RichardB

OK, I got this via PM, I can't offer any help, but, hopefully someone here may have something to contribute.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am researching a murder that took place in Sheffield - details that I have are below:

The person who was murdered was Female with a surname of Widdison.

The murder took place in about 1957, although it could have been a year or two either way. The murder took place on Macro street which used to be in Pitsmoor.

That's all I have, although I did hear someone refer to this murder as the Bread & Jam murder?

All help gratefully received

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

OK, I got this via PM, I can't offer any help, but, hopefully someone here may have something to contribute.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am researching a murder that took place in Sheffield - details that I have are below:

The murder took place in about 1957, although it could have been a year or two either way. The murder took place on Macro street which used to be in Pitsmoor.

That's all I have, although I did hear someone refer to this murder as the Bread & Jam murder?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

I must confess that I don't remember a murder that linked in with Macro Street, and I was living not too far away in the late 50s. You might have a look on Sheff Forum, where there are a number of Macro Street threads --see esp Pub at Macro Street in 1800s and don't let that date put you off. One or two of the people who have been involved in this debate might have a memory of a murder.

I wish you luck with this. I have been trying to get info on a murder/suicide on Spital Hill in the early post-war years, and months later I am still trying!

I must confess that I don't remember a murder that linked in with Macro Street, and I was living not too far away in the late 50s. You might have a look on Sheff Forum, where there are a number of Macro Street threads --see esp Pub at Macro Street in 1800s and don't let that date put you off. One or two of the people who have been involved in this debate might have a memory of a murder.

I wish you luck with this. I have been trying to get info on a murder/suicide on Spital Hill in the early post-war years, and months later I am still trying!

East House murder ???

Thanks

Any progress? There have been a number of books about Sheffield murders, notably by JP Bean and a chap called Bentley. Has anyone had a look at these. I am particularly interested by virtue of the Macro Street link.

Guest glynn

The latest,

Well not really anything to report other than the National Archives have the original court case papers, but, they are closed for a long time. So, no further.

Anyone else got anything ?

Here are the details of the outcome of the case as reported in The Manchester Guardian dated 25th June 1959. From the brief details the paper supplies it looks like an interesting case.

Here are the details of the outcome of the case as reported in The Manchester Guardian dated 25th June 1959. From the brief details the paper supplies it looks like an interesting case.

Well done, Ceegee. It is always satifying to get to the bottom of a quest. I have not had as much luck with my quest for info on a muder/suicide story from Spital Hill in the early post-war years, even though I have trawled through copies of The Star from 1945 to 1954 so far. I have been searching in vain now for about two years, and yet I remember it being a sensational story that made big headlines in The Star --and I recall seeing the burnt-out shop on Spital Hill the morning after the tragedy. The man had murdered his wife in the shop, set fire to the premises, and then run across the road and down onto the railway tracks and thrown himself under a train. Yet the story has been lost in time!

As Victor Meldew might say, I don't believe it!

No problem OCS glad to help. Anyway you should have more faith. nothing is ever lost lol

The start of the tragedy - from FreeBMD

Surname First name(s) Spouse District Vol Page

Marriages Mar 1931

Cook Ann W Heggie Harold W Devonport 5b 536

Probable given the location of the marriage that Harold was in the navy.

Anyway the attached is from The Manchester Guardian dated 1st September 1947. Nothing more to add at the moment but at least it is a start.

No problem OCS glad to help. Anyway you should have more faith. nothing is ever lost lol

The start of the tragedy - from FreeBMD

Surname First name(s) Spouse District Vol Page

Marriages Mar 1931

Cook Ann W Heggie Harold W Devonport 5b 536

Probable given the location of the marriage that Harold was in the navy.

Anyway the attached is from The Manchester Guardian dated 1st September 1947. Nothing more to add at the moment but at least it is a start.

Maybe I'm a bit slow but where did the 'Bread and Jam' bit come in?

Maybe I'm a bit slow but where did the 'Bread and Jam' bit come in?

The murder was called "The bread and jam murder" because from what we can gather the mother or Margaret Widdison who was murdered was ill through drink and only fed her Children Bread & Jam. This statement is from someone who can remember the murder so i guess you could call it hearsay.

The Times did report the murder twice but no further information was ever published.

The parers from the trial are kept in the National Archives in London and are closed for 92 years from 1959 so roll on 2051.

Thanks to all for your help and great detective work. Any other information appertaining to this case would be very welcome

Regards