Ice Cream Vans

Guest ocblade

Back in the eighties there seemed to be so many different ones.

Anyone have an pictures to post?

On a local them, there are already threads on Taggy's and Granelli's, and as I have previously stated in the Granelli's (sweet shop) thread as far as Sheffield is concerned those migrant Italian famillies have given us a lot more than ice cream to add to our history. Granelli's, Manfredi's and my own family link, Cuneo's would "back in the eighties" add to the national ones like Walls / Lyons Maid / Mr. Whippy etc. to be amongst the "so many different ones" so yes, pictures and information on local ice cream vans and companies, including pictures if available, would be a nice addition to the site.

Good idea ocblade, and welcome to SheffieldHistory by the way.

Back in the eighties there seemed to be so many different ones.

Anyone have an pictures to post?

Some pics courtesy of the Sanella family.

Until recently they had a couple of nice old ones in their garage at Sharrow Vale. - - Gone I'm afraid.

I never thought about taking pictures of them before, they just seemed to always be there. Lesson learned.

Click on the link to go to a web site about Italian ice cream manufacturers in Sheffield.

The thumbnails of vans down the left hand side can be clicked on to get bigger more descriptive images.

Page shows a range of Cuneo ice cream vans from their very early motorised ones up to the present day, including the famous "batmobile" ice cream van.

Cuneos Ice Cream Vans

1893 (Kelly's)

Joseph Belardo Ice Cream Dealer 165 Gibralter Street

John Carboni Ice Cream Manufacturer 22 Lambert Street

Anthony Cassinelli Ice Cream Maker 212 Gibraltar Street

John Cassinelli Ice Cream Maker 34 Daisy Walk

Antonio Cassinelli Ice Cream Maker; Tobacconist & Confectioner 30 Smithfield; 33 West Bar Green

Gustin Frankett Ice Cream Manufacturer 9 Court, Lambert Street

Peter Granilli Ice Cream Manufacturer 19 Furnace Hill

Pietro Grasselli Ice Cream Maker 19 Furnace Hill & Sheaf Market

Montfredi Matteo Ice Cream Maker 148 Upper Allen Street

Monfredi (& Co.) Ice Cream Dealers 176 Langsett Road

Antonio Quagliozzi Ice Cream Maker 66 Broad Street, Park

Michael Reale Ice Cream Manufacturer 31 Lambert Street

John Sturla Ice Cream Maker 45 Copper Street

1911 (White's)

Delay caused by the Football ...

John Carboni Ice Cream Dealer 22 Lambert Street & 58 Button Lane

Louis Cuneo Ice Cream Maker Court 2, Cupola

Peter Granelli Ice Cream Dealer 13 Sheaf Market

Joseph Lumby Ice Cream Dealer (J. L. & Co. ) h. 11 Court, 1 Sorby Street

James Joseph Wall Ice Cream Vendor 71 Worksop Road, Attercliffe

John Charles Wall Ice Cream Dealer 103 Carbrook Street, Attercliffe

There is a list of all the Sheffield based Italian ice cream families if you use the link from my previous post and then click on "family names" in the menu on the left.

1919 (White's)

Louis Cuneo Ice Cream Maker Court 2, Cupola; h. 44 Copper Street

Granelli (Brothers) Ice Cream Makers 82 Scotland Street

Peter Granelli Ice Cream Dealer Sheaf Market

Joseph Lumby Ice Cream Dealer 1 Court 11, Sorby Street

Matthew Monfredi Ice Cream Maker & Furniture Dealer 533 & 535 Penistone Road

Jonathan Oates Ice Cream Dealer 92 Attercliffe Common

William Oates Ice Cream Maker 604 Attercliffe Road

Robert Towle Ice Cream Vendor 27 St Charles Street, Attercliffe

James J Wall Ice Cream Maker 142 Attercliffe Common

1925 (Kelly's)

Arthur Edward Bower Ice Cream Dealer 180 Holme Lane, Hillsborough

Buffalaro (& Brothers) Ice Cream Dealers 32 Furnace Hill

Mrs Harriet Caddick Ice Cream Vendor 21 Club Garden Road

Jesse Carolis Ice Cream Maker 33 Woodland Street

Mrs Alice Goodyear Ice Cream Dealer 61 Taplin Road, Hillsborough

Granelli (Brothers) Ice Cream Makers 66 Broad Street, Park & Sheaf Market

Mrs Lydia Howe Ice Cream Maker 36 Aizlewood Rd.

Joseph Lumby Ice Cream Dealer 1 Court 11, Sorby Street

The Marathon Biscuit Co., Ice Cream Cornet Makers 69a Scotland Street

Matthew Monfredi Ice Cream Maker & Furniture Dealer 533 & 535 Penistone Road

Thomas Nuttall Ice Cream Dealer 32 Dearne Street, Brightside

Robert Towle Ice Cream Vendor 27 Charles Street, Attercliffe

Mrs Gertrude Wall Ice Cream Maker 142 Attercliffe Common

Sorry, I'd done this by the time the football "kicked" us off. No harm done, eh ?

Nice to have an address as well.

Sorry, I'd done this by the time the football "kicked" us off. No harm done, eh ?

Yes its Saturday afternoon and Wednesday are playing again, - Not being a football supporter I didn't know that until I got kicked off SheffieldHistory earlier this afternoon!

Middlewood Dairy Ices

Owned by Theodore Bangert, 474, Middlewood Road, looking towards Foxhill :

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=v00616

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=v00618

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=v00619

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=v00620

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=v00622

No dates on any of these; any ideas ?

-------------------------------------------------------

This is in the wrong place and I hurt so much from lifting eighteen 100-litre bags of bark chippings and spreading 'em around; the cats were impressed mind you, like their own private Serengeti ...

There is a list of all the Sheffield based Italian ice cream families if you use the link from my previous post and then click on "family names" in the menu on the left.

May be of interest

1891 census - North Sheffield - District 5

This district covers the streets mentioned around West Bar, Trinity St , Copper St etc Ancestry.co.uk link to page 1 of 45 (This assumes you have a Ancestry subscription.

If not will do look ups and prints if you require them

Sheffield Ice Cream Wars?

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/granelli_s_loses_right_to_sell_ice_cream_at_city_park_1_3291020

Sheffield Ice Cream Wars?

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/granelli_s_loses_right_to_sell_ice_cream_at_city_park_1_3291020

Sad but very interesting.

Having heard the story from my Cuneo relatives of the fight they had with the council to keep their pitch outside Weston Park and a shared pitch outside the Botanical Gardens, and the trouble they are having over access to the ice cream "stall" in the Peace Gardens all of this comes as no suprise.

Granellis are a long established (1874) Italian- Sheffield ice cream makers and they have traded outside Millhouses and Hillsborough Parks for over a lifetime. They have provided an excellent service and excellent ice cream, - so why try to get rid of them?

What does come as a suprise is what the council have done. Ususlly they would want to get rid of an ice cream van from outside a park because they have got their own, more expensive, purpose built, "ice cream parlour" inside the park and want to have a monopoly on ice cream sales in the park. This is what they were trying to do at Weston Park after it's renovation.

But not this time, - although Granelli have been told they can no longer sell ice cream outside the park another Italian-Sheffield ice cream firm, Devoti, also long established and well respected, have been given a contract to do just that and NOT the councils own "Parlour in the park".

I suppose at the end of it all money will be involved as it is after all "business", but this does seem a strange and very unfair thing to do.

I don't know what the English translation of "Devoti" is but we call him "Mr. Devoted" as one of his vans has been coming down our street and selling ice cream every Saturday afternoon at about 5 o'clock for as long as we have lived at our current address. He is always on time and turns out come wind rain or snow (not just a sunny day ice cream man) even in the winter. It can't be an easy living trying to sell ice cream in cold, bad weather when most people don't want one and to still have the expense of running costs. He is a very devoted "Devoti" and his ice cream is pretty good too.

All I can say is I'm sorry that it has come to this way of sorting out this type of agreement, I commiserate with Granelli and will be sorry to lose them from this pitch but also well done Devoti on your new business deal.

10 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Sanellas. Fashions circa 1960, railings look like the Ponderosa

image.png.4681b8f2c82279254bcf69de95862f2e.png

I don't remember wearing a skirt like that in the 1960's perhaps it's nearer 1950's. We didn't use as much material in our skirts. Unless of course they're dressed up for a period event. Still a good photo though.