Did you go to Norfolk School on Cradock Road in the 1970s

Guest karen marsh

Guest karen marsh

Hello Everyone,

My name is Karen Marsh and I am a Volunteer for the Region On Film Project based in Sheffield. We are dedicated to finding and archiving old cine film which shows the everday life of people in Yorkshire and we have recently acquired some film which was made by a Norfolk School teacher called Eric Smith in the 1970s.

We are screening 3 of his short films which has ex pupils in and my task is to find as many people who would like to see the films at the free event on 25th November at the Showroom Cinema at 6pm.

If you attended Norfolk School, were in the film 'Dead Easy' or went on the school trip to Glencoe in 1978, then please contact me via the Forum or on karenlesleymarsh@yahoo.co.uk and I can give you further details.

Hope I get some contacts!

Thanks

Karen

Edit; this event was held on 25th November 2008

Hello Everyone,

My name is Karen Marsh and I am a Volunteer for the Region On Film Project based in Sheffield. We are dedicated to finding and archiving old cine film which shows the everday life of people in Yorkshire and we have recently acquired some film which was made by a Norfolk School teacher called Eric Smith in the 1970s.

We are screening 3 of his short films which has ex pupils in and my task is to find as many people who would like to see the films at the free event on 25th November at the Showroom Cinema at 6pm.

If you attended Norfolk School, were in the film 'Dead Easy' or went on the school trip to Glencoe in 1978, then please contact me via the Forum or on karenlesleymarsh@yahoo.co.uk and I can give you further details.

Hope I get some contacts!

Thanks

Karen

Hello Karen, welcome to Sheffield History

No new contact here, just an old one. I have previously sent you my photos of the 1972 Norfolk School staff for use on the night to your normal email address. I have since managed to rescan the negatives with a new scanner and have better copies but the file size is very large and there are 20 or so pictures! How big is your email inbox? it may be around 25Mb of attachment.

I have received my 2 free tickets that you sent and both myself and Stuart 0742 are hoping to attend the film show

Guest karen marsh

Hello Karen, welcome to Sheffield History

No new contact here, just an old one. I have previously sent you my photos of the 1972 Norfolk School staff for use on the night to your normal email address. I have since managed to rescan the negatives with a new scanner and have better copies but the file size is very large and there are 20 or so pictures! How big is your email inbox? it may be around 25Mb of attachment.

I have received my 2 free tickets that you sent and both myself and Stuart 0742 are hoping to attend the film show

Thanks David,

The photos you sent are okay for the display and we look forward to the evening- Eric is getting excited!

See you on the 25th.

Karen

Thanks David,

The photos you sent are okay for the display and we look forward to the evening- Eric is getting excited!

See you on the 25th.

Karen

Yes I'm looking forward to it. Hope to meet you there as well as Eric.

Yes I'm looking forward to it. Hope to meet you there as well as Eric.

Just like to say many thanks to Karen Marsh for putting on this film show last night. Stuart0742 and myself had a great time. It was great to see "Dead Easy again after all these years, When we first saw it we would have been watching the students in it, who did we know? but 36 years later it was the locations which took our attention,the old school, the Norfolk Park flats, the Arbourthorne, even the Carlton Cinema, Gleadless townend, northern avenue shops - all changed drastically and all the sort of images this site thrives on. Absolutely brilliant Karen! When can we buy the DVD?

Even better, after all this time we got to meet and talk to our old maths and photography teacher Eric smith, our technician, Pete Harrison, the senior mistress, Brenda Moore and even the school secretary. This allowed us to catch up on 36 years of what had happened to everyone from the school, an excellent little reunion, better than Friends Reunited!

Once again Karen, thank you for doing this evening show.

Managed to get a few promotional stills from the films shown made at Norfolk School.

The first 2 are action shots from the film "Dead Easy" (1972)

In the film the teacher, Eric Smith takes a group of students out in the school mini bus for a day out walking in the coutryside. As they set off 2 of the schools "bad lads" nick his car (still 1). The school party makes a brief stop at northern Avenue shopping centre for the teacher to buy a newspaper and one of the students spots his car being driven past by the 2 thieves. A chase then starts which gives us great views of this area of Sheffield from 1972. The chase ends out in Derbyshire where the 2 thieves abandon the car and make a run for it. They are now chased on foot by a load of students from Norfolk. Eventually they are trapped at a cliff edge and one of the thieves falls over and is killed (using some very simple but effective trick photography) the other is caught by the gang of students, arrested and taken back to the school bus (still2).

The second film is an Easter bonnet parade made in 1978. (still3)

In this film students from the needlework / textiles department model their bonnets in the school quadrangle, again with some long gone views of the old school and the old art room which was for some reason in the middle of the quad.

A third film, also made in 1978 was about a school trip to Scotland and didn't feature any local views, just Scotish ones.