Shrewsbury Hospital and Arms Houses

SteveHB

Shrewsbury Hospital and Arms Houses rebuilt at its present location in 1823 due to flooding,
present location on Norfolk Road. Google maps

A map dated 1736 showing the original location at Park Gate near to the Rivers Sheaf and Dunn(Don).
post-188-1184182464.jpg
Some recent photos
post-188-1184182808.jpgpost-188-1184183504.jpgpost-188-1184183904.jpg
Some information here on Sheffield City Council Web site "]History Of Shrewsbury Hospital"

1736_copy.jpg

sh_01.jpg

sh_02.jpg

sh_03.jpg

Will they be digging any remnants of this place up, I wonder ?

And how about the original wooden bridge over the Sheaf ?

If they find any money, it's mine, I dropped it !!!

Guest SuzyC

Shrewsbury Hospital and Arms Houses rebuilt at its present location in 1823 due to flooding,

present location on Norfolk Road. FLASH EARTH

A map dated 1736 showing the original location at Park Gate near to the Rivers Sheaf and Dunn(Don).

Some recent photos

Some information here on Sheffield City Council Web site History Of Shrewsbury Hospital

How lovely to see the old almshouses all cleaned up. We lived directly opposite them at 30 Norfolk Road during the fifties and early sixties and went to the church on Sundays. I was christened there by the Rev Hawkin-Jones, who was later replaced by Vicar Tabor. I used to ring the bell for church sometimes too and take round the collection. There was also a resident nurse there too but cannot remember her name. I was very honoured as I was allowed to take the short cut through the grounds because it is not a public thoroughfare.

We were right next door to the Cholera Grounds and I spent many happy times there helping (or more likely hindering) my "best mates" Willis and Maurice the park keepers. I remember them brewing up strong, sickly tea on a stove in their hut in an old enamel billycan, yuk it was horrible!

Sadly we had to leave in about 1964 as the Council were compulsory purchasing half of our garden to put up tower blocks (we´ll build you a 7 ft concrete wall they kindly said!!) so my parents sold the house to the council. It was a lovely place to live as a child and I have always been sad that we had to leave, particularly as they have now pulled down the wretched flats.

Guest SuzyC

How lovely to see the old almshouses all cleaned up. We lived directly opposite them at 30 Norfolk Road during the fifties and early sixties and went to the church on Sundays. I was christened there by the Rev Hawkin-Jones, who was later replaced by Vicar Tabor. I used to ring the bell for church sometimes too and take round the collection. There was also a resident nurse there too but cannot remember her name. I was very honoured as I was allowed to take the short cut through the grounds because it is not a public thoroughfare.

We were right next door to the Cholera Grounds and I spent many happy times there helping (or more likely hindering) my "best mates" Willis and Maurice the park keepers. I remember them brewing up strong, sickly tea on a stove in their hut in an old enamel billycan, yuk it was horrible!

Sadly we had to leave in about 1964 as the Council were compulsory purchasing half of our garden to put up tower blocks (we´ll build you a 7 ft concrete wall they kindly said!!) so my parents sold the house to the council. It was a lovely place to live as a child and I have always been sad that we had to leave, particularly as they have now pulled down the wretched flats.

Have just found a photo of our old house, 30 Norfolk Road, you can see the gates to the Cholera Grounds on the left. This was taken well before my time, maybe one of you auto buffs can date it from the car! :)

The flats would have been the Claywood tower blocks, 3 of them, built by Gleesons in 1965 / 66

There is a picture of them being built somewhere on this site, - if I can find it I will "Link Fairy" it to here.

Ironically as you have stated these 3 towers have now also gone and are no more.

They were some of the last of the "Norfolk Park Tower Blocks" to go and unlike many of the others which were spectacularly demolished by blowing them up the Claywoods were unceremoniously dismantled from the top down.

The flats would have been the Claywood tower blocks, 3 of them, built by Gleesons in 1965 / 66

There is a picture of them being built somewhere on this site, - if I can find it I will "Link Fairy" it to here.

There you go SuzyC, took some finding but it was lurking in the "Norfolk Park in the 1960's and 70's topic.

Building the Claywood flats

Guest SuzyC

There you go SuzyC, took some finding but it was lurking in the "Norfolk Park in the 1960's and 70's topic.

Building the Claywood flats

Wow that was fast Dave, thanks. lol You may be able to refresh my memory of what happened to the house where my Uncle had a flat on Farm Bank Road, which was an unadopted road off Shrewsbury Road. It was a big, old house as I recall, split into 2 flats, he had the downstairs, with a large garden. I presume it was demolished to make way for the flats. When I tried Google Earth I could only find a Farm Bank Road at Norton.

Wow that was fast Dave, thanks. lol You may be able to refresh my memory of what happened to the house where my Uncle had a flat on Farm Bank Road, which was an unadopted road off Shrewsbury Road. It was a big, old house as I recall, split into 2 flats, he had the downstairs, with a large garden. I presume it was demolished to make way for the flats. When I tried Google Earth I could only find a Farm Bank Road at Norton.

What is left of Farm Bank Road is here.

You can probably trace an imaginary line of where it used to be.

Google maps

Google (for some reason) seems to say that a lot Sheffield places are at Norton. Don't ask me why.

Guest SuzyC

What is left of Farm Bank Road is here.

You can probably trace an imaginary line of where it used to be.

Google maps

Google (for some reason) seems to say that a lot Sheffield places are at Norton. Don't ask me why.

Thanks MadAnnie and Vox, the building certainly looks familiar, although I can´t remember it being quite as grand in the 50´s. I think that large bay window was their living room but don´t remember the imposing chimneys, perhaps they were gone by then. Looking at the map, I guess the green area would be where the flats were, you can see our house next to the Cholera Grounds and certainly our garden stretched a good way towards the monument. I remember at the end of the garden, behind our shed/greenhouse was a steep drop down where there was a builders yard.

Guest SuzyC

Link to OS map #96

Thanks for that SteveHB, gives me a better idea of the geography, although I don't remember the other houses shown on Farm Bank Road. The Claywood Works, which I remember as a builders yard we called Tates Yard I think.

Farm Bank Road is shown on the Pawson & Brailsford map, coming off Shrewsbury Road. It is on the bottom right hand map of the set.

Farm Bank Road

(Shrewsbury Road.Park)

(No thoroughfare)

3 Alfred Edmund Machin

5 John Kaye, potato salesman

2 Cecil Colegate

4 A H Holies, iron merchant

6 Reginald Ward.

1925 Kelly's

In 1965, just two listed off Shrewsbury Road.

5 G Horner

6 Thomas Spafford.

Though there are other houses at the Granville Road end.

Found this picture the other day, don't know when it was taken but note the large herbacious border in the grounds which I can remember was still there in the fifties when I was a little girl.

Petitions For Admission To The Shrewsbury Hospital 1854-1886

These petitions give name, condition (e.g. widow), year of birth, and age of person in year petition presented, and are usually accompanied by character references signed by several of the town's noted inhabitants. Some have noted on them that the applicant was appointed and it is assumed that those without this endorsement were unsuccessful. Some have noted on them that the applicant had died; it is assumed this was before admission. The petitions are in numerical order from 101-682 but with many numbers lacking.

Names here

Some notes taken from Charity Reports 1897.

Gilbert the Earl, in 1625 by his will appointed a hospital to be founded at Sheffield for the maintenance of 20 poor people and to spend no more than £200 per year on it. Henry Duke of Norfolk great grandson of Gilbert in accordance with the will, in 1673, erected a hospital. He settled estates in trustees for the maintenance of the hospital and made certain statutes by which Henry was able to repeal or make new statutes as he liked. In case of complaints they should be sent to Henry The Duke, or his heirs.