Lennox Road, Hillsborough

Guest jossman

Guest jossman

Here is an atmospheric photo of Lennox Burton Dixon taken for his coming of age in 1880, taken outside the family home that is now Hillsborough Park Library. Note the dapper clothing of the rich and famous. Lennox Road is named after him.

Picture Sheffield Link:

http://www.picturesheffield.com/;s02840

Here is an atmospheric photo of Lennox Burton Dixon taken for his coming of age in 1880, taken outside the family home that is now Hillsborough Park Library. Note the dapper clothing of the rich and famous. Lennox Road is named after him.]

Lennox is the one on the right. The old lady is a maid at the house.

Nice to put a face to the name, Thank You.

Now we just need Dorothy and Garry, Garry Road being named after a family pet lol

Nice photo. Do we know the name of the sartorially elegant gentleman on the left? It could have been Lennox's brother Archibald. Wynyard would only have been 15 in 1889 (Lennox was born in 1868, so the photo presumably dates from 1889).

Wasn't Willis Rd also named after a member of this family?

Yes - James Willis Dixon was the father of Lennox, Wynyard etc. and was the leading figure in the family firm.

I can tell you a bit more about the photo. In 1979 Hillsborough Hall (now Library) celebrated it's 200th birthday, and we had a series of exhibitions etc to commemorate it. We appealed for any material that might be in people's attics etc, and the photo was brought in by a member of the public who was a descendant of the old lady in the photo, and she identified Lennox and the old lady. Unfortunately she didn't know who the third person was. We had some interesting items brought in. There was a handwritten account in beautiful script for the redecoration of the Hall in the mid 1800's, which itemised all the materials used, and listed items of furniture that were to be painted, mostly in the kitchen. They also reglazed the big glasshouses in the walled garden, and listed the amount of glass, lead and putty used. Someone else brought in a policeman's notebook that had belonged to one of their relatives around the turn of the 18/1900's. I remember one entry detailing the arrest of an individual for 'driving a horse and cart furiously in Penistone Road', an offence for which they had been cautioned on previous occasions. Perhaps the most poignant item was Arnold Loosemoore's miniature VC brought in by his son, who lived at Stannington.

Bit late but I've been away ...

Lennox B DIXON Hillsborough Hall Kelly's 1893

Archibald DIXON Hillsborough Hall Kelly's 1893

James Willis DIXON Hillsborough Hall Kelly's 1893

Wasn't Willis Rd also named after a member of this family?

The whole area is riddled with Dixons!

Dixon Road after the family.

Willis Road after Archibald Willis Dixon

Dorothy Road after James Willis Dixon's granddaughter Dorothy Wilson

Lennox Road after Lennox Burton Dixon

Wynyard Road after Wynyard Dixon

Shepperson Road after Mrs Dixon, whose maiden name was Shepperson

Warner Road after Sir Pelham 'Plum' Warner, on time England cricket captain and president of the MCC, who was a school friend of Archibald Willis and Lennox Burton.

Garry Road is alleged to be after a family pet, as it was the last road to be named and they'd run out of people!

Guest Gilderoy

The whole area is riddled with Dixons!

Dixon Road after the family.

Willis Road after Archibald Willis Dixon

Dorothy Road after James Willis Dixon's granddaughter Dorothy Wilson

Lennox Road after Lennox Burton Dixon

Wynyard Road after Wynyard Dixon

Shepperson Road after Mrs Dixon, whose maiden name was Shepperson

Warner Road after Sir Pelham 'Plum' Warner, on time England cricket captain and president of the MCC, who was a school friend of Archibald Willis and Lennox Burton.

Garry Road is alleged to be after a family pet, as it was the last road to be named and they'd run out of people!

I went to Hillsborough School, where our house teams were Willis (blue), Warner (yellow), Dixon (red) and Wynyard I think was green.

Thanks for this information. My grandparents lived on Wynyard Road and I spent a lot of childhood there in the 50's and 60's. Just loved being there, so close to the park and went to the library every Saturday morning. Really pleased to find out the origin of the name. Thanks