Derwent Village

AdrianM

The water in Ladybower has gone down enough to be able to get to the ruins of Derwent Church

Very good Mick,

thanks for posting your photographs.

Very good Mick,

thanks for posting your photographs.

Yes, excellent pictures.

But very worrying about the current water levels in the reservoir.

As I remember it in 1995 we were on hosepipe bans and on the verge of water rationing with water having to be brought in from other, wetter, areas of the country.

At present there is no hosepipe ban and no real concern about a water shortage, but the reservoir level looks just as low as it was then.

Thanks SteveHB and DaveH,

Here's another THEN & NOW, The black and white photo was took in 1947 just before they blew the church tower up ( Ive got a dvd, and it shows you the church tower getting blown up )

The colour photo was took last sunday, the two gate posts that are in the water were in a field just behind the church

mick

Thanks SteveHB and DaveH,

Here's another THEN & NOW, The black and white photo was took in 1947 just before they blew the church tower up ( Ive got a dvd, and it shows you the church tower getting blown up )

The colour photo was took last sunday, the two gate posts that are in the water were in a field just behind the church

mick

If those are the gate posts and that pile of stones behind is all that is left of the church, then had the church still been standing last Sunday it would have been well clear of the water.

Level must be pretty low.

At one time they used to say the reservoir is .....% full giving a % full figure.

Any idea what it currently is?

When Ladybower was full, only about 10 to 15 foot ( if that ) of the church tower was under water, most of the village was at the top end just past the church, so if they had left the buildings up, the high water line wouldn't have even reached the bedroom window to Derwent Post Office. the only buildings that are lower down are Derwent Hall, the School, a small cottage and across the other side Bridge end farm and the valve house. Even bits of Derwent Hall would be sticking out of the water if that was left standing.

Only this bit of the church was under water ( the white line ) , not much really

mick

Not much depth of water then, but given the shape of the valley with gradually sloping sides at the surface of the reservoir a small change in water height would represent a big change in water volume, - the actual amount of available water for use.

By a percentage full figure this would be by volume, and a few feet off the depth of water could quite easily represent a very large % of the volume of water in the reservoir.

I think at the moment, Ladybower is probably about 60% full, if the water keeps dropping, i'd say, the rest of the remains of Derwent Village will be visible by the end of november / mid december, that's if the rain holds off :rolleyes:

I think at the moment, Ladybower is probably about 60% full, if the water keeps dropping, i'd say, the rest of the remains of Derwent Village will be visible by the end of november / mid december, that's if the rain holds off :rolleyes:

Well, the forecast is for more autuminal and even wintery weather from now on.

Late October and November can be very wet months in terms of rainfall, and if we get a lot of snow before Christmas like we did last year then perhaps we could be starting 2012 with an almost full reservoir.

Think we are going to need a lot of rain, two weeks ago at work, we were digging some trenches for a water pipe, we went down about 2.5ft, the soil was just dust at the bottom of the trench, no moisture at all :blink:

Here's some more pictures of Derwent Village that i took in 1995

Derwent Church and Grave Yard

Derwent Hall's Garden and Fish Pond

Stone Bench at the side of Derwent Hall

Entrance to Derwent Church and Grave Yard, top of one of the gate posts on the floor to the right

Gate Posts to Derwent School, Bridge over the Mill Brook

Valve House

mick

Think we are going to need a lot of rain, two weeks ago at work, we were digging some trenches for a water pipe, we went down about 2.5ft, the soil was just dust at the bottom of the trench, no moisture at all :blink:

Well, flood or drought nature usually sorts itself out eventually.

It's just that we have to live with the consequences of flood and drought.

Late October and November can be very wet months in terms of rainfall, and if we get a lot of snow before Christmas like we did last year then perhaps we could be starting 2012 with an almost full reservoir.

You was right about the rain

Apparently 10 inches of snow is equivalent to 1 inch of rainfall. On that basis I'll settle for a steady rainfall to refill the reservoirs, at least it runs away!

Apparently 10 inches of snow is equivalent to 1 inch of rainfall. On that basis I'll settle for a steady rainfall to refill the reservoirs, at least it runs away!

I was hoping the water level in ladybower would drop even more, wouldn't have minded having a walk around the ruins of Derwent Village again

Not much depth of water then, but given the shape of the valley with gradually sloping sides at the surface of the reservoir a small change in water height would represent a big change in water volume, - the actual amount of available water for use.

By a percentage full figure this would be by volume, and a few feet off the depth of water could quite easily represent a very large % of the volume of water in the reservoir.

Just gone past Ladybower this morning, had a look at Derwent, and the church is now completely covered again, nothing at all sticking out of the water. It must have rained alot out there in the last 7 days! :blink:

Just gone past Ladybower this morning, had a look at Derwent, and the church is now completely covered again, nothing at all sticking out of the water. It must have rained alot out there in the last 7 days! :blink:

It has rained a fair this last week.

Of course it is not just the rain that falls in the reservoir, - its the rain falling on many acres of surrounding land that will eventually feed into the reservoir.

So it must have really rained a lot if the ground was dry as it would have to saturate it first before any found its way downstream into the reservoir.

Guest cutiecavies

Brilliant thread thanks for all the pics and Video made very interesting viewing. Have bought some books to find out more

Bought these 2 books the other week from Hassop Book Shop, now there's a place thats not as good as it used to be

£4.99 each

Not had much chance to look at them yet

Bought these 2 books the other week from Hassop Book Shop, now there's a place thats not as good as it used to be

In the old Hassop Railway Station buildings.

Not as good as it used to be!

I thought it had closed down completely years ago.

They charged to use the car park last time I went (it used to be free for people using the bookshop) and the shop itself looked boarded up.

So, I am suprised that you actually got a bookshop at Hassop at al regardless of how good it was.

It was lovely to see all the pictures. Thankyou so much. My great grandmother was one of the familys moved out of the village and up to jubilee cottages which still stand opposite fairholms car park. They are on the 1901 and 1911 census. They moved from abbey grange.

Where did the story about Derwent church spire being completely under water, and when the water level dropped you could see the spire poking out, come from? it would be impossible for the whole of the spire to be under water, ladybower dam would have to be three times its height. :blink: I can remember at school, one of the teachers even saying it about the church under the water :wacko:

As far as I know it was the case that the spire could be seen at low water, but then demolition work was carried out and it no longer is.