Lost Portraits?

Guest JSP

Hi guys,

Still researching the Fisher family and trying to solve yet another puzzle! On the PictureSheffield database I have discover 2 portraits of William Fisher D.1861. I think these were painted by Richard Smith. At least one of them was donated to the Company of Cutlers in 1925(ish) but was then donated to the library/art gallery in 1960. I am struggling to find either of them and wondered if anyone could help? Perhaps you've seen one?

Here's a link to the image; (hope it works) picture sheffield

Thanks,

JSP

In december I contacted Museums Sheffield and they had found one of the paintings and a plaster impression I had not heard of. Anyway they said they would note their location so I could visit later in the year.

Got in contact last week to arrange a visit and within the 6 or so month time scale they've lost the other painting as well :( still going so I can see the plaster impression but shame they can't keep tabs on their collection. This would never happen if it had been kept in the family <_<

It's a shocking state of affairs when a museum can't keep something safe. Similar thing happened to me.

My grandad's Military Medal, (donated to his regimental museum because I was so afraid of being burgled and losing it) went missing.

Not much consolation I know, but usually these things aren't lost but 'mislaid', meaning they're still there, they just can't find them. Either they're in a drawer somewhere waiting to be catalogued, or they've been misfiled, and will turn up eventually.

My Trip to Storage Warehouse

After months of waiting I finally made the trip to Sheffield Art Storage facility. Although they did not know the location of the portraits they did have something else to show me ( a plaster impression) which I was very excited about anyway. So I had pretty much finished there haven taken lots f photos of the plaster thing however as I was walking down the stairs I noticed that one of the paintings (they were all wrapped up in tissue paper and the clear plastic) had a gap in it's wrapping revealing the nose of the said person. I immdediately recognised it as the 'family nose' and asked the curator if that could be the portrait and if so, could I have a look. She was very doubtful but checked for me all the same. On the back of the canvas in big chalk letters was the name "Fisher". So there we have it, if it had been in any other place, in the warehouse I would not have seen it. The curator was amazed at my recognition of the nose!

So for those who are interested the portrait of William FIsher., Esq B. 1780 D.1861 is attached below lol:

And here is the pictures of the plaster impression:

Thanks,

JP

Thank Heavens for a noticable neb ! he he

After months of waiting I finally made the trip to Sheffield Art Storage facility. Although they did not know the location of the portraits they did have something else to show me ( a plaster impression) which I was very excited about anyway. So I had pretty much finished there haven taken lots f photos of the plaster thing however as I was walking down the stairs I noticed that one of the paintings (they were all wrapped up in tissue paper and the clear plastic) had a gap in it's wrapping revealing the nose of the said person. I immdediately recognised it as the 'family nose' and asked the curator if that could be the portrait and if so, could I have a look. She was very doubtful but checked for me all the same. On the back of the canvas in big chalk letters was the name "Fisher". So there we have it, if it had been in any other place, in the warehouse I would not have seen it. The curator was amazed at my recognition of the nose!

So for those who are interested the portrait of William FIsher., Esq B. 1780 D.1861 is attached below lol:

Thanks,

JP

Also, only last night I realised that the walking stick he is holding is in my wardrobe! I've managed to date it as 1834 from the silver hallmarks. Had it all these years and didn't know where it came from, nice to see something's still in the family! lol

It's a shocking state of affairs when a museum can't keep something safe. Similar thing happened to me.

My grandad's Military Medal, (donated to his regimental museum because I was so afraid of being burgled and losing it) went missing.

Yes Vox,

Not to mention my wifes grandfathers ARP stuff donated to Sheffield Blitz museum (Banners) Attercliffe, now missing.

Or my own relative, great grandfather Lloyd Wainwright's collection of scissors and cutlery made by him and at one time displayed at Weston Park museum, but now missing.

Just how much stuff have they lost over the years?

..and what value are we talking about?

It's a shocking state of affairs when a museum can't keep something safe.

I do hope you are looking after my SYT tram video 'vox. lol W/E.

post-9123-0-38050000-1313271654_thumb.jp post-9123-0-47350900-1313271783_thumb.jp

post-9123-0-82364400-1313271983_thumb.jp

Thanks,

JP

Wow JP, that's quite a story and I'm so pleased that you managed to find the portrait - I know how hard it can be!  As a matter of interest, were you able to confirm the name of the artist?  You mentioned Richard Smith, whose work we are researching at the moment - I'd love to be able to add another work to our little list.