Arbourthorne Schools

Mike Smith

Hello again - I've not been on the forum for a while. We were interested to see Jenny's photo of the May Queen and attendants for Spring 1959 (posted 03/01/2013), as my wife is on it. I've attached a copy of the photo with numbers against each child, and would be interested to discover their names. The names we think we know (apologies if the spellings are incorrect) are: 2: Patricia Sorby, 3: Jean Leybourne, 5: Pamela Gibbons (May Queen) and 11: Sheila Greaves.

Hi Mike

I know a few more of the names... 6 ME (Jennifer Beatson) 8 Patrick (?) Kenny 15 ? Greaves (don't think he was related to 11) 13 David Surplus.

Who is your wife? Let's hope someone else can fit in the blanks.

Jenny

Edit: Number 8 Had second thoughts about his name, think it was Peter Kenny.

Hi Jenny

My wife is Pat - No 2 - unaccountably not smiling! No 15 may be Peter Greaves, but we're not sure, as there were a lot of boys in the family.

Pat wonders if the Christine Beatson, who lived in Paddock Crescent and was in her class, is related to you. Thanks for putting the photo online, as Pat didn't have a copy of it, and for this extra information you've provided. Perhaps someone else can fill in more gaps!

Mike

Hi Mike

I think you might be right about Peter Greaves (I also know he came from a big family). I am not related to Christine Beatson but apparently when my parents lived on Arbourthorne Road, their back garden joined with Christine's back garden! This is how I found out;

we were in a bar in San Francisco and got talking to family from Sheffield and the gentleman said he originally came from the Arbourthorne. He asked me my maiden name (Beatson) and said his was the same and that he used to live in Paddock Crescent. He knew my parents and brothers and sisters! What a small world.....

Jenny

Hi Jen13

I was at Arbourthorne Central the same time as you. I also have a dictionary from Mr Smith and remember he gave four of us one on our last day. Remember us all being really upset that we were leaving so he told us all to have a walk around the school field. There was you, me, Angela Kirkland (I think) not certain on the other girl. Happy, happy days.

I recognised you straight away from the May Day photo. I wasn't on the photo but do have a May Day one with me on it. My name then was Gill Cammack

Hi Jenny

received it and replied briefly. Just trying to load my May Day photo but having a problem, so will keep trying

Gill

Yes, the one on the end. The May Queen was Joan Smith and the maid of honour next but one to you was Wendy Phoenix (I think).

Sent personal message too.

Jenny

I went to Arbourthorne North school. My teacher was  Mr Kelly. A lovely man.There were 50 in the class  and I was the only girl who passed the scholarship and went to Hurlfield Grammar school in 1939. The year war broke out. The school was based on the Arbourthorne. It had another part at Millhouses.

it was a great hardship for my mother to afford the school uniform. I met a great friend there and we are still in touch. Both 89.

i have tried, unsuccessfully to find news of my old schools. I expect there are not many left of my era.

Babara P Yates (nee) Swaine.

I went to Arbourthorne Central Infants and Juniors. I have just found this pic on a box my father had. If I remember correctly this is a trip to Riber Castle Zoo. Circa 1969.

I can name maybe half of the kids here, I had forgot all about these school friends.

20180714-IMG_20180714_0082.jpg

11 hours ago, Killamarshian said:

I went to Arbourthorne Central Infants and Juniors. I have just found this pic on a box my father had. If I remember correctly this is a trip to Riber Castle Zoo. Circa 1969.

I can name maybe half of the kids here, I had forgot all about these school friends.

20180714-IMG_20180714_0082.jpg

Isn't it great to see children dressed as children and not as young  adults as they are today, the girls wearing crop tops and showing just to much for a child and the boys wearing the horrible baseball cap and hoods. The girls of today are dressed as though they are teenagers and some of the boys look quite menacing in their hoods along with a scarf over most of their faces.

This photo is what children should be, just children.

• Like 1