Arbourthorne Schools

Mike Smith

My wife went to Arbourthorne Central Infants and Junior Schools on Eastern Avenue from 1953-59. Does anyone have any photos of the school buildings, of events such as May Queen Ceremonies, or Class Photos for those years? And are there any memories of the teachers - Head Teacher Miss Walton, Mr Jeavons, Mr Leigh, Miss Moore, Mrs Dent, Mrs Davies, Mrs Kaye... ?

My wife went to Arbourthorne Central Infants and Junior Schools on Eastern Avenue from 1953-59. Does anyone have any photos of the school buildings, of events such as May Queen Ceremonies, or Class Photos for those years? And are there any memories of the teachers - Head Teacher Miss Walton, Mr Jeavons, Mr Leigh, Miss Moore, Mrs Dent, Mrs Davies, Mrs Kaye... ?

Hi Mike and welcome to Sheffield History.

As a kid I lived on Eastern Avenue and I went to Norfolk nursery, infant, junior and secondary school down on Craddock Road.

Suprising really as it was probably the same distance along the avenue to what we called Arbourthorne E.A. school (Eastern Avenue)

It was called Arbourthorne Central at a time when Norfolk infants and juniors was called Arbourthorne North, and I know postmen, delivery men and others frequently got them mixed up, especially as both schools also shared a common 1930's style, brick colour and architecture so actually looked similar.

I am glad I did go to Norfolk with its "craddle to grave" 3 year old to 16 year old structure as it meant I never had to change school. I even gave up the chance of taking and passing an 11 plus exam to ensure that this happened.

On this site I have quite an extensive topic on Norfolk school and it sometimes annoys me that if you Google and search the net it comes back with info on either the Arbourthorne EA school (now knocked down, rebuilt and known as a Community School) or the new Norfolk School which is now actually just outside Norfolk Park. It never gives anything on the old Norfolk school as it no longer exists.

I think picture Sheffield (the Sheffield library web site) has some old pictures of the Arbourthorne Central school.

But if you want pictures of staff and students from particular year groups then really it is down to making contact with dedicated ex-students, and this is more difficult for junior schools than for secondary. We have been very lucky on here with the Norfolk school topic in this respect.

Not being an ex-student of Arbourthorne EA myself I don't have any extra on this school but I would suggest the following.

1)

Someone on here will probably have been to Arbourthorne EA and may reply

2)

There may be a topic on "the other Forum", Sheffield Forum

3)

There are some old pictures on PictureSheffield

4)

There may be some actively interested ex-students on Friends Reunited

Not a lot to go on but I Hope that helps

Hi Mike and welcome to Sheffield History.

As a kid I lived on Eastern Avenue and I went to Norfolk nursery, infant, junior and secondary school down on Craddock Road.

Suprising really as it was probably the same distance along the avenue to what we called Arbourthorne E.A. school (Eastern Avenue)

It was called Arbourthorne Central at a time when Norfolk infants and juniors was called Arbourthorne North, and I know postmen, delivery men and others frequently got them mixed up, especially as both schools also shared a common 1930's style, brick colour and architecture so actually looked similar.

I am glad I did go to Norfolk with its "craddle to grave" 3 year old to 16 year old structure as it meant I never had to change school. I even gave up the chance of taking and passing an 11 plus exam to ensure that this happened.

On this site I have quite an extensive topic on Norfolk school and it sometimes annoys me that if you Google and search the net it comes back with info on either the Arbourthorne EA school (now knocked down, rebuilt and known as a Community School) or the new Norfolk School which is now actually just outside Norfolk Park. It never gives anything on the old Norfolk school as it no longer exists.

I think picture Sheffield (the Sheffield library web site) has some old pictures of the Arbourthorne Central school.

But if you want pictures of staff and students from particular year groups then really it is down to making contact with dedicated ex-students, and this is more difficult for junior schools than for secondary. We have been very lucky on here with the Norfolk school topic in this respect.

Not being an ex-student of Arbourthorne EA myself I don't have any extra on this school but I would suggest the following.

1)

Someone on here will probably have been to Arbourthorne EA and may reply

2)

There may be a topic on "the other Forum", Sheffield Forum

3)

There are some old pictures on PictureSheffield

4)

There may be some actively interested ex-students on Friends Reunited

Not a lot to go on but I Hope that helps

Many thanks for your reply Dave. We looked on the PictureSheffield site a while back, but didn't have much success - we'll try again. And maybe next time we're up in Sheffield (we live in West Sussex now, and don't return very often) we'll go to the library, as I believe a lot of the photos in the archive aren't available online. Mike & Pat

Many thanks for your reply Dave. We looked on the PictureSheffield site a while back, but didn't have much success - we'll try again. And maybe next time we're up in Sheffield (we live in West Sussex now, and don't return very often) we'll go to the library, as I believe a lot of the photos in the archive aren't available online. Mike & Pat

If I can find some Picture Sheffield, or any other links to pictures of this school I will post them on here.

Thanks again. Btw, look on Multimap : http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=Eastern+Avenue%2C+Sheffield&countryCode=GB#map=53.35917,-1.44601|18|32&bd=useful_information&loc=GB:53.36124:-1.43956:17|Eastern%20Avenue,%20Sheffield|Eastern%20Avenue,%20Norton,%20Sheffield,%20South%20Yorkshire,%20England,%20S2%202

this aerial view shows the old school, while the Birds-eye view shows the new! Google Maps only show the new.

Thanks again. Btw, look on Multimap : http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=Eastern+Avenue%2C+Sheffield&countryCode=GB#map=53.35917,-1.44601|18|32&bd=useful_information&loc=GB:53.36124:-1.43956:17|Eastern%20Avenue,%20Sheffield|Eastern%20Avenue,%20Norton,%20Sheffield,%20South%20Yorkshire,%20England,%20S2%202

this aerial view shows the old school, while the Birds-eye view shows the new! Google Maps only show the new.

Aeriel view on multimap is well out of date then.

However, Google Earth may be a better bet.

Google Earth have photographed the whole of Britain several times over over the last 10 years or so.

In its latest version you can choose "Historic view" and pick one of the tears on a timeline that Google photographed the area to get an idea of how things have changed.

May be worth a try, could even help pin down the date that the old school was demolished and the new one was built if it is within Googles timeline range (roughly 2000 - 2010)

Aeriel view on multimap is well out of date then.

However, Google Earth may be a better bet.

Google Earth have photographed the whole of Britain several times over over the last 10 years or so.

In its latest version you can choose "Historic view" and pick one of the tears on a timeline that Google photographed the area to get an idea of how things have changed.

May be worth a try, could even help pin down the date that the old school was demolished and the new one was built if it is within Googles timeline range (roughly 2000 - 2010)

Just tried it.

The Google Earth 31 December 2002 view shows the old school while the next available Historic Image dated 14 May 2005 shows the new one.

Guest plain talker

have a look on picture sheffield dot com

search "Eastern Avenue" and you'll get 7 pages to choose from

The "Architectural" pics are on page 3 of 7

have a look on picture sheffield dot com

search "Eastern Avenue" and you'll get 7 pages to choose from

The "Architectural" pics are on page 3 of 7

Thanks plain talker,

I knew I had seen this on picture Sheffield somewhere buy I couldn't re-find it.

Looks like the trick is to search for Eastern Avenue

Guest plain talker

Thanks plain talker,

I knew I had seen this on picture Sheffield somewhere buy I couldn't re-find it.

Looks like the trick is to search for Eastern Avenue

Aaah, see? I'm not just a pretty face (!) ;) :D

Aaah, see? I'm not just a pretty face (!) ;) :D

Never said you were just a pretty face plain talker,

In fact this isn't the first time you have helped me out by providing useful and interesting facts, information, personal memories or web links. ;-)

Guest plain talker

Never said you were just a pretty face plain talker,

In fact this isn't the first time you have helped me out by providing useful and interesting facts, information, personal memories or web links. ;-)

I does Mi best to be helpful, Dave. :D

Hi guys, just thought I'd share these very rare original plans of Arbourthorne School from 1936. A frind of mine works at Arbourthorne School and came across these, He believes they are water colours on cloth,

Arbourthorne Central School Junior Department

Overview of both departments

The Games Pavillion

The Canteen

The Playing Field

The Caretakers House

Thanks for looking.

Thanks for posting these.

Map fairie vacancy!

Yes, what a fantastic find.

These are a brilliant set of images showing details of the original Eastern Avenue junior school (Arbourthorne central)

I just hope that a similar set may turn up for Norfolk School some day, - now for me that would be like finding the Holy Grail.

I went to Arbourthorne Nursery, Infants and Junior schools from 1953 - 1961 and loved every minute of it. My teacher in Nursery was Miss Renshaw and we had breakfast, dinner and afternoon tea there every day. We had to have a sleep in the afternoon on a camp bed.

Can't remember much about the Infants. I remember one Junior school teacher particulary, Miss Pilkington, and also some of the others mentioned earlier. I also remember Mr Smith the new head teacher who replaced Miss Walton.

I still have a dictionary which he gave me when I left.

I have attached a picture of a May Queen ceremony but not sure of date 1958/59 maybe. Sadly I wasn't the May Queen, just a maid of honour, but not saying which one!

O happy days!

Jenny

I went to Arbourthorne Nursery, Infants and Junior schools from 1953 - 1961 and loved every minute of it. My teacher in Nursery was Miss Renshaw and we had breakfast, dinner and afternoon tea there every day. We had to have a sleep in the afternoon on a camp bed.

Can't remember much about the Infants. I remember one Junior school teacher particulary, Miss Pilkington, and also some of the others mentioned earlier. I also remember Mr Smith the new head teacher who replaced Miss Walton.

I still have a dictionary which he gave me when I left.

I have attached a picture of a May Queen ceremony but not sure of date 1958/59 maybe. Sadly I wasn't the May Queen, just a maid of honour, but not saying which one!

O happy days!

Jenny

Welcome to SheffieldHistory Jen13 and thank you for posting, - especially the picture.

I too went to nursery school at Norfolk (also called Arbourthorne (north) school at the time and often confused with Arbourthorne (central) school on Eastern Avenue which I assume is the one you went to) during the 1950's and I remember having a very similar experince with 3 meals a day and sleeping on camping beds in the afternoon.

You never said which secondary school you went to, from Norfolk nursery, infant and Junior most of us stayed there for the secondary school which was part of the same buildings, - UNLESS you passed your 11+ and went to a grammar school.

From Arbourthorne nursery, infant and junior I think the usual feeder school was, at the time you would have been there, Hurlfield (seperate Boys and Girls schools at the time), - UNLESS of course you passed your 11+ and then had a choice of grammar schools.

I did pass the 11 PLUS and went to King Ecgberts at Totley. Didn, t enjoy it half as much as my previous school!

Don't know what it was about people that passed their 11+ but, having passed and then being presented with a choice of grammar schools, they never picked the nearest one to their old school / where there lived and they always seemed to pick ones 2 bus rides away across the other side of the City.

Only 2 lads in my class actually took the 11+ (it was optional in 1967, the yearI should have taken it) and passed it. From the Arbourthorne one of them chose to go to local school (Central Technical on Gleadless Road) but the other chose to travel across town every day and out to Concorde Park, WHY!!!

Guest jackbirch

hi - everyone - yes if you go - on friends re-united on the schools page - stamp in Arbourthorne - there are some pics on their dating from 1953 onwards - hope this helps and also on face book too !!!

I went to Arbouthorne Central during the second world war years,as I look back now what fun it was reciting our times tables with our gas masks on,and going on the air raid practice drills inthe underground shelters whitch were under the playing field ,who else remembers that.

I went to Arbouthorne Central during the second world war years,as I look back now what fun it was reciting our times tables with our gas masks on,and going on the air raid practice drills inthe underground shelters whitch were under the playing field ,who else remembers that.

Norfolk school also had underground air raid shelters, - must have been a common design as not only did the 2 1930's building look very similar they were built when war was immenently expected.

Reciting times tables was a common exercise for many decades, I remember doing it in the 1960's

Not a very effective method of learning multiplication for me as it was just rote learning and recall. I understtod it much better later.

..and the way it was recited, a bit like a Stock Aitkin & Waterman song, - Different words but the same tune every time.

I seem to remember we also had a similar recited piece about our (at the time) predecimal currency which went a bit like a ready reckoner.

"12 pence 1 shilling, 18 pence 1 and sixpence, 24pence 2 shillings...." that sort of thing.

Guest plain talker

Norfolk school also had underground air raid shelters, - must have been a common design as not only did the 2 1930's building look very similar they were built when war was immenently expected.

Reciting times tables was a common exercise for many decades, I remember doing it in the 1960's

Not a very effective method of learning multiplication for me as it was just rote learning and recall. I understtod it much better later.

..and the way it was recited, a bit like a Stock Aitkin & Waterman song, - Different words but the same tune every time.

I seem to remember we also had a similar recited piece about our (at the time) predecimal currency which went a bit like a ready reckoner.

"12 pence 1 shilling, 18 pence 1 and sixpence, 24pence 2 shillings...." that sort of thing.

Reminds me of the joke about the little lad, reciting his times tables...

he starts off, in the chant

"One two is two,

two twos are four..." etc etc,

He gets to the higher tables, and starts going

"dah dah da-da.

dah dah dah dah-da-dah

Dah dah dah dah-de-dah,"

Teacher says "Fred, what ARE you doing?"

Fred says" Sorry Miss, I know the tune, But I've forgotten the words!"

Reminds me of the joke about the little lad, reciting his times tables...

he starts off, in the chant

"One two is two,

two twos are four..." etc etc,

He gets to the higher tables, and starts going

"dah dah da-da.

dah dah dah dah-da-dah

Dah dah dah dah-de-dah,"

Teacher says "Fred, what ARE you doing?"

Fred says" Sorry Miss, I know the tune, But I've forgotten the words!"

That's exactly what I was thinking of when I made the post.