Leyland National Mk2 Tries To Go Swimming!

andyrad

Can anyone remember in 1990 when a Mk2 National went in to ponds forge while it was still under construction? sorry about the picture quality but I only had a 35mm camera at the time

Can anyone remember in 1990 when a Mk2 National went in to ponds forge while it was still under construction? sorry about the picture quality but I only had a 35mm camera at the time

I certainly remember it. At the time my office at the Hallam University was located on the 10th floor of the 12 floor Owen Building and I had a grand-stand view of the entire proceedings. I heard a shout go up from the next office and looked out to see what appeared to be the back end of a bus where the back end of a bus had no right to be. I presume the power steering went wrong, either that or the driver was making an early entry for the annual MacMillan Water Bombing Contest.

HD

I certainly remember it. At the time my office at the Hallam University was located on the 10th floor of the 12 floor Owen Building and I had a grand-stand view of the entire proceedings. I heard a shout go up from the next office and looked out to see what appeared to be the back end of a bus where the back end of a bus had no right to be. I presume the power steering went wrong, either that or the driver was making an early entry for the annual MacMillan Water Bombing Contest.

HD

I did hear that the throttle got jammed and that it hit another bus on the way to the pool!

Guest jimmy75

I did hear that the throttle got jammed and that it hit another bus on the way to the pool!

from wot i can remember with the 28 the driver of the bus had a heart attack i think and it then smashed into dennis 2123 b4 smashing thru the gates and coming to a rest in the diving pool section i rememer me and few of us the next day on the sunday going down there to take pics it was later sent for scarp as with the dennis that was rebuilt as it looked like a daul door bus when it had been hit and put bak in service

Guest bus man

I understand it was human error - that was the information from a senior member of SYT on the evening of the crash !

Guest bus man

National 28 is behind the boarding

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o24/TRAMMANN/?action=view&current=img044.jpg

The following morning

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o24/TRAMMANN/?action=view&current=img046.jpg

Guest transit

...and finally in the scrapyard ...... :(

http://regionalbusphotosyork.fotopic.net/p49161156.html

National were always diverting in to gardens etc. they always tried to blame the driver ( not me) but we were not use to such light vehicles or such light steering. I remember one into a shop front on Langset road near Cuthbert Bank Road, one in a garden at Norton near the Graves Park entrance and another at Aston where the bus ploughed through gardens near the church. Each time a slippy road, the one on Langset Road was black ice that Sheffield Corporation had been notified of previously but had not got round to gritting.

Guest transit

...the one at Aston was JDT 438N - 88 , which suffered serious frontal damage . Due to it only being a year or so old, it was decided to repair it.

During its subsequent repair down at Central Works , Queens Rd , the front suspension was tested with air pipes ect and eventually realised the whole front of the bus could be lowered / raised at the flick of a switch.! This was to become the infamous "Kneeling National" and was hailed as a revolution at the time , and had appearances on Blue Peter and Tommorrows World television programmes.! It was through popularity of this bus which led to the eventual development of the low-floor buses we have today .