Frecheville Comprehensive School

Guest shezza91

Theres plenty of pictures on facebooks... Frecheville comprehensive page.Pictures of the school/teachers and pupils. I left in 83 and theres a reunion being sorted for the class of 83. Heres one of the photos:

Theres plenty of pictures on facebooks... Frecheville comprehensive page.Pictures of the school/teachers and pupils. I left in 83 and theres a reunion being sorted for the class of 83. Heres one of the photos:

Welcome to Sheffield History Goody.

Nice to see photos of the old Frechville School on the site.

Thank you for posting.

I went to Thornbridge in the 70's. I remember some of the teachers - Mr Pack (PE, always chatting up the girls), Mr Snook (headmaster), Mr Ryan (Deputy head, had a dubious way of raising one eyebrow at the girls!), Mr Clarke (RE, really thick, jamjar bottom glasses). Mr Hunt (Music, very camp), Mr Griffiths (chemistry, glass eye), Miss/Mrs Pratt (german, always wore low cut tops and had wet armpits), Mr Gould (English, huge guy that used to carry a pink bag with an elephant on it). There is a picture of my 6th form on Friends Reunited, I was there when Joanne & Suzanne from Human League were at Frechville and the 6th form classes were merged. I also remember the school being in the news because some new guy got thrown down a bank and breaking both his arms - a yearly tradition for first years on their first day (stopped after that though). Remember there were four houses, Nightingale, Chatsworth, Hardwick and I think Brindley. If I think of anything else I will come back and add.

I went to Frecheville comp and still live around there (hence the profile name!) The school fields around the back are still there, even the tennis courts. I remember in the last days of closing the school they was always cordoned certain corridors off for asbestos leakages. I always remember Frecheville vs Thornbridge meeting on frecheville pond for one of their regular fights. I had friends in both schools, so it wasnt really fun for myself lol!

Guest Dave P

Frecheville School was the one on Fox Lane, next door was Frecheville Infants School. The latter became part of Norton College in 1988 and (among other things) did CLAIT computer courses. It closed about ten years ago. The Secondary school merged with ThornbridgeSchool to become Birley School in 1988 and the buildings closed a year later.

I went to Frecheville left in 75, remember Pilly Peters, Jaybird (woodwork) Hirsty, Green (music) Webster (Deputy head), Green (headmistress) Brenda & Neville Frost (Legends), Schultz, Dakin, Gamble (library & French) Paul Harding (Legend) Robinson (metalwork), Slater (science), Jones, Gilliver I could go on. It was a great school and the old photo brought memories flooding back.

Pete

I was a pupil at frecheville School leaving in 1988 it had just joined with thornbridge , I remember Mr Green ( music) Mr Birkinshaw ( English) Mr Wright ( Maths) Mrs Hardstaff ( German ) Mrs Brufton ( Home Economics ) Mrs Swift ( Typing ) Mr Moulden , Mr Sheard , Mrs Goddard ( geography ) Mr Bull ( Head Teacher ) also remember ( the quad ) happy memories think I have some photos somewhere

As someone has recorded above, there are actually quite a few photos to be found of Frecheville Comp in its various states - from  all stages starting  in the 50s ( though it was a pre-WW2 school) to (I think, FE) in the 90s?
As, myself, a pupil at the site from 1957 until 1968 with a break at the newly built, very attractive Basegreen Juniors which had an incredibly short life, I’ve been surprised just how very few contributions I’ve see from 1960s students at Frecheville and absolutely no recollections or photos  of the lovely  but short-lived Basegreen Juniors. My first encounter at 5years with the formidable Miss Beale ( and her beloved Pekingese dog), through to the Senior School and the likes of the equally testy, Miss Green (WHO wasn’t terrified of her?); Messrs Furniss, a great English teacher; the super, fatherly, Science and Gardening, George Slater; Sharpe, who taught us to draw, technically and a bit o’ maths; the bullying, geographer, Pilley (?); two crazy, amazingly intolerant  ex RAF maths tutors, Curran &=Timms(?)but  then the lovely, helpful, Mary Gamble for more English  and of course....the no-nonsense Bennett’s who ran the Seniors for  years in. The Stick RULED and could they dish it out - even, occasionally,  getting your choice of THEIR weapon! 
From Basegreen Juniors,  a bit more of a struggle after well over half a century  - but I think I recall a Mr Murton as Head? The playing fields to it were wonderful and the inside of the place,  nicely designed, clean and comfort. 
Not all happy memories but undoubtedly so good, old-fashioned schooling.

So cumin, there must be some other owduns out there who remember an earlier schooling  era than the 70s onwards (no disrespect to those ‘old comrades’ of course but there are already plenty of their memories of Frecheville out there....

On 21/12/2012 at 13:26, Guest Gord said:

I went to Thornbridge in the 70's. I remember some of the teachers - Mr Pack (PE, always chatting up the girls), Mr Snook (headmaster), Mr Ryan (Deputy head, had a dubious way of raising one eyebrow at the girls!), Mr Clarke (RE, really thick, jamjar bottom glasses). Mr Hunt (Music, very camp), Mr Griffiths (chemistry, glass eye), Miss/Mrs Pratt (german, always wore low cut tops and had wet armpits), Mr Gould (English, huge guy that used to carry a pink bag with an elephant on it). There is a picture of my 6th form on Friends Reunited, I was there when Joanne & Suzanne from Human League were at Frechville and the 6th form classes were merged. I also remember the school being in the news because some new guy got thrown down a bank and breaking both his arms - a yearly tradition for first years on their first day (stopped after that though). Remember there were four houses, Nightingale, Chatsworth, Hardwick and I think Brindley. If I think of anything else I will come back and add.

I think one of the houses was Hutton. Mr Gould was a fantastic teacher,  the other teachers said he could have taught anywhere, but believed in the comprehensive system. We were always chatting at the back of the class and he christened us the committee. 

Mr Goddard was the head who stopped the throwing down the bank thing, he also used to drive around at lunchtime to try and stop fighting between Thornbridge and Frecheville. The RE teacher was a bit strange, but scared everyone. Dep head was Mr Williams, he was great and ran an O level history class during lunch, because only two of us had taken it.