The Elm Tree Manor Top

ukelele lady

The TOP SECRET Temporary, Spot-enabled establishment of an educational-ilk identified only as XYZ :blink:

Seeing as both me and suzy, and a few others, know where this establishment was, how many years secrecy order is it under so that we know how long we have got to keep our gobs shut for. :rolleyes:

Don't remember signing for this on the official secrets act lol

Me neither. Why all the top secret stuff though :huh:

Keep looking over your shoulder, you never know when MI6 are watching :unsure:

Me neither. Why all the top secret stuff though :huh:

Keep looking over your shoulder, you never know when MI6 are watching :unsure:

Pssst....

No one is looking or listening and we are not being bugged

I will say this only once ( In a very poor French Allo Allo accent)

It was A******* S*****

Picture 1 Elm Tree in the 1980's.

Picture 2 & 3 My Grandfather worked for a while at the Elm Tree, these two pictures must have been taken before 1943, because he died that year. He appears on both 1st left on the brighter picture and 2nd left on the darker. He was called John (Johnny) Appleyard. Others on it might included the landlord in the 1940's.

You might also want to read George Orwell's The Road To Wigan Pier. He is highly critical of these mock Tudor pubs in it.

Picture 1 Elm Tree in the 1980's.

Picture 2 & 3 My Grandfather worked for a while at the Elm Tree, these two pictures must have been taken before 1943, because he died that year. He appears on both 1st left on the brighter picture and 2nd left on the darker. He was called John (Johnny) Appleyard. Others on it might included the landlord in the 1940's.

You might also want to read George Orwell's The Road To Wigan Pier. He is highly critical of these mock Tudor pubs in it.

Apart from the fact that it is now closed (whats new! :( ) The old Elm Tree, a.k.a. the "fight a night" hasn't changed that much.

Apart from the fact that it is now closed (whats new! :( ) The old Elm Tree, a.k.a. the "fight a night" hasn't changed that much.

Hi Dave H (I am back in the "Sheffield History saddle" and am sure it will take me a while to catch up!) : still for sale! Thought you would have found some way of buying it by now and turning it around into a hip bar of some kind!! lol

Hi Dave H (I am back in the "Sheffield History saddle" and am sure it will take me a while to catch up!) : still for sale! Thought you would have found some way of buying it by now and turning it around into a hip bar of some kind!! lol

Funny you should mention buying an old boozer again Suzy.

Thanks to my son in law I have recently started homebrew beer and wine again after a break from it of around 10 years.

So my garage now looks like a boozer cellar.

and it has just matured enough to sample my first pint of "Arbourthorne Ales" this weekend

Only made a standard 40 pint batch, but if I get into doing this again (and the results were good) I could be looking for my own local drinking place for my own locally brewed beer. lol

Funny you should mention buying an old boozer again Suzy.

Thanks to my son in law I have recently started homebrew beer and wine again after a break from it of around 10 years.

So my garage now looks like a boozer cellar.

and it has just matured enough to sample my first pint of "Arbourthorne Ales" this weekend

Only made a standard 40 pint batch, but if I get into doing this again (and the results were good) I could be looking for my own local drinking place for my own locally brewed beer. lol

The Elm Tree would be perfect for you then he he

That pint looks pretty good to me - am on my way back home very shortly, so have one ready for my arrival :P

That pint looks pretty good to me - am on my way back home very shortly, so have one ready for my arrival :P

As well as the "Arbourthorne Ales" beer I also started off a batch of blackberry wine made from blackberries which had grown wild all over my wifes allotment and were harvested last September.

This is just about ready for bottling now. A standard gallon demijohn should fill 6 standard 700ml wine bottles.

So as well as my own boozer I could have my own little wine bar as well! ;-)

I don't know about the Elm Tree, I seem to have got a lot of choice with closed down boozers in the area.

Latest victim seems to be the Royal Oak at Hollinsend crossroads (opposite where the Rex cinema used to be on Mansfield Road.

Photo taken on Sunday afternoon when pubs are usually busy but it was shut up and displaying a sign.

I don't know about the Elm Tree, I seem to have got a lot of choice with closed down boozers in the area.

Latest victim seems to be the Royal Oak at Hollinsend crossroads (opposite where the Rex cinema used to be on Mansfield Road.

Photo taken on Sunday afternoon when pubs are usually busy but it was shut up and displaying a sign.

Oh no - not another one! You will certainly have plenty to go at.

I may be totally off the mark here, but did one of the landlords once get attacked/robbed at the Royal Oak some years ago? :(

Oh no - not another one! You will certainly have plenty to go at.

I may be totally off the mark here, but did one of the landlords once get attacked/robbed at the Royal Oak some years ago? :(

I think so,

But in this area that would be an occupational hazzard for landlords so I don't think this type of thing would be unique to the Royal Oak. :(

However, at the Arbourthorne Hotel a few years ago the landlord attacked and killed one of the customers. :o

I think so,

But in this area that would be an occupational hazzard for landlords so I don't think this type of thing would be unique to the Royal Oak. :(

However, at the Arbourthorne Hotel a few years ago the landlord attacked and killed one of the customers. :o

Agree.

Never knew about the Arbourthorne Hotel saga - whats the story behind that then? :o

Guest wayneybabes

Agree.

Never knew about the Arbourthorne Hotel saga - whats the story behind that then? :o

have a look, Auntie Sue

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/4368946.stm

Agree.

I have told the story of the Arbourthorne Hotel murder (one of several which have happened as a result of events in there) somewhere else on this site in another topic before.

As a site "Link Fairy" I would like to link it here for you.

But can I heckerslike find it!!! :angry:

have a look, Auntie Sue

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/4368946.stm

Thanks Nephew - never knew about that one! :o

It looks as if someone has bought the Elm Tree!

I passed by it the other day in the tram and saw it had "under offer" on the sale board.

Rumours are now around saying Netto have it. It seems the company have got back into the Supermarket thing.

It looks as if someone has bought the Elm Tree!

I passed by it the other day in the tram and saw it had "under offer" on the sale board.

Rumours are now around saying Netto have it. It seems the company have got back into the Supermarket thing.

Given the fate of other local boozers, - churches, supermarkets, Indian restaurants, Chinese restaurants, etc. it is highly unlikely that it will ever open as a pub again.

Given the fate of other local boozers, - churches, supermarkets, Indian restaurants, Chinese restaurants, etc. it is highly unlikely that it will ever open as a pub again.

The Royal Oak at the junction of Mansfield Road and Hollinsend Road has just been refurbished and re-opened as a funeral parlour by the way.

So add funeral parlour to the list of new uses for old boozers.

On 17 January 2010 at 4:58 PM, syrup said:

I worked behind the bar in The Elm Tree in the early 70s at the weekends and we were all

under instruction if anything kicked of we were to shout the Landlady and she would sort it out.

She was a small Welsh woman call Gwyneth if i remember correctly and she kept a baseball

bat under the bar and she would chase trouble causers down the street on many occasions.

The Landlord was always down the cellar with his Stainless Steel Buckets and plastics pipes,

No Beers were poured down the sinks in them days everything was RECYCELLED.

Hi Syrup- do you have any pictures from your time working there? I am writing a book on Sheffield pubs and I would love to see them. Jamie sheffieldpubs@outlook.com

I went in the elm tree and remember gwyn being the landlady,she was fearless.After the elm tree she moved to the relative calmness of the yew tree at Coal Aston.

I found an advert in the Sheffield Independent Trade Review section dated to December 21 1927 for Henry Freckingham & Sons Ltd (builders) about the contracts they are currently working on. Two of them are for remodelling Inns. Including the Elm Tree! The other being the Ship Inn Shalesmoor.

Henry Freckingham & Sons were based at Hoyle Street Works.