The Elm Tree Manor Top

ukelele lady

I worked behind the bar in The Elm Tree in the early 70s at the weekends and we were all

under instruction if anything kicked of we were to shout the Landlady and she would sort it out.

She was a small Welsh woman call Gwyneth if i remember correctly and she kept a baseball

bat under the bar and she would chase trouble causers down the street on many occasions.

The Landlord was always down the cellar with his Stainless Steel Buckets and plastics pipes,

No Beers were poured down the sinks in them days everything was RECYCELLED.

Now where would a rough boozer be without a decent landlady to sort things out, -

The Elm Tree with Welsh Gyneth

The Fellbrigg with Scarey Mary

and The Rodley Inn with Stuart0742's mum lol

Somehow I don't fancy that recycled beer though :unsure:

Although I am sure that many boozers did recycle beer in this way.

Now where would a rough boozer be without a decent landlady to sort things out, -

The Elm Tree with Welsh Gyneth

The Fellbrigg with Scarey Mary

and The Rodley Inn with Stuart0742's mum lol

Somehow I don't fancy that recycled beer though :unsure:

Although I am sure that many boozers did recycle beer in this way.

Well I am not going to say which pub it was but 11 years ago I worked in a pub and all the bitter that spilled over the glass was put back in the barrel. One night, when we had a new barrel just on, an old gentleman asked me to tell the landlord that the bitter was off. Later that night when in the cellar I told the landlord about it and he said, pouring the slops beer back in the barrel, It will be OK for him now.

I do wonder haw many still do it.

jiginc

Well I am not going to say which pub it was but 11 years ago I worked in a pub and all the bitter that spilled over the glass was put back in the barrel. One night, when we had a new barrel just on, an old gentleman asked me to tell the landlord that the bitter was off. Later that night when in the cellar I told the landlord about it and he said, pouring the slops beer back in the barrel, It will be OK for him now.

I do wonder haw many still do it.

jiginc

I don't know if its possible to recycle beer back into a pressurised keg rather than a traditional barrel <_<

However, it seems to have been a very common practice.

I don't know if its possible to recycle beer back into a pressurised keg rather than a traditional barrel <_<

However, it seems to have been a very common practice.

This was using the traditional barrel, when I ran a pub, trying to recycle into a Keg would have been more difficult. Also using the press the button dispensing you did not get the over flow any way. Also most of my customers wanted to keep the same glass all night, this was not done when hand pumped beer was dispensed.

jiginc

This was using the traditional barrel, when I ran a pub, trying to recycle into a Keg would have been more difficult. Also using the press the button dispensing you did not get the over flow any way. Also most of my customers wanted to keep the same glass all night, this was not done when hand pumped beer was dispensed.

jiginc

I wonder why not?

I quite like to keep the same glass, and after all it is the same drink going in it as has just been emptied.

But these days some glass collectors are pretty keen to whip the empty glass away from you

and at the bar they always offer a clean glass even if you take your empties back.

Surely there is nothing wrong with keeping the same glass and it cuts down on "pot washing" for the pub.

Surely there is nothing wrong with keeping the same glass and it cuts down on "pot washing" for the pub.

Elf and Safety Matey.

Elf and Safety Matey.

Oh No, not the old health and safety again, the same guys that wont let you put an old tram on new tracks.

Now WHY is drinking 10 pints of beer from a single glass which has been filled 10 times more dangerous than drinking the same quantity in the same session from 10 glasses each of which has only been filled once.

...and this case the biggest health threat would be the quantity of alcohol consumed lol

Now WHY is drinking 10 pints of beer from a single glass which has been filled 10 times more dangerous than drinking the same quantity in the same session from 10 glasses each of which has only been filled once.

Possible infection from your own drool maybe ? Peanut-spittle around the rim ? Pork-scratching floaters ? The possibility yer Grannys glass-eye fell in there ?

Did seem to be a period when you could ask to re-use your own glass.

Possible infection from your own drool maybe ? Peanut-spittle around the rim ? Pork-scratching floaters ? The possibility yer Grannys glass-eye fell in there ?

Now using your own glass or a tankard, as opposed to one provided for your use by the pub may come under customs and excise regulations

Is it a "dead measure" pint flush to the top?

Is there a line to calibrate where the pint comes to in an oversize glass?

Does the head count as part of the pint or just the liquid underneath?

All those sorts of issues.

It was explained to me in this way.

If, as with hand pulled beer, the nozzle goes into the glass and into the beer, there's a risk of passing "whatever" from your glass onto the nozzle.

They don't bother if you're just re-filling your glass from a bottled beer.

If, as with hand pulled beer, the nozzle goes into the glass and into the beer, there's a risk of passing "whatever" from your glass onto the nozzle.

Seems quite reasonable.

However alcohol is pretty effective at killing bacteria even in quite low concentrations so it shouldn't be a serious risk (although there certainly would be some risk).

In the middle ages when diseases like cholera and typhoid were common and carried mainly in water, drinking beer was often a much safer option than drinking water.

Sounds like a better explanation than mine ! :blink: :rolleyes:

In the middle ages when diseases like cholera and typhoid were common and carried mainly in water, drinking beer was often a much safer option than drinking water.

Me'n'ourGert were at a National Trust property a couple of years ago. Shugborough Hall I think.

They had printed cards placed around the buildings with enlarged photocopies of interesting bits of old documentation.

One of them was an advert for staff.

Along with Rates of pay, meals supplied, working conditions etc was listed 8 pints of beer per day.

I wonder why not?

I quite like to keep the same glass, and after all it is the same drink going in it as has just been emptied.

But these days some glass collectors are pretty keen to whip the empty glass away from you

and at the bar they always offer a clean glass even if you take your empties back.

It’s all down to what type of dispenser you use.

Hand pulled beer should have a glass that’s one pint, or half, full up to the top. So to ensure it’s as full as possible with or without a head the beer is allowed to flow over the top and is collected on the drip tray. If the same glass is used again then the dispensing head and the liquid, beer or larger, could be contaminated. Worse still if the spilt beer is recycled then the whole barrel will be contaminated. Also remember that spilt beer has also passed over the bar staff’s hand adding to the risk of contamination.

Beer that is dispensed by a measured pumped system uses a glass that is over size and has an etched mark to show the pint level. There should be no spillage and the dispensing head does not or should not go into the glass. That’s the theory however if it’s Fosters it usually went over the top.

Further to the way the beer is dispensed I was taught that the top half of the glass belongs to the customer and the bottom half is the barman’s . Meaning when holding the glass to fill it and passing it to the customer the barman should hold the glass at the lower half, thereby reducing the risk of contamination. How many times when being served does the bar staff hold the glass by the rim which is where your mouth is going to go!!!! They may have washed their hands when last using the toilet but then have to open the toilet door and may have touched other contaminated surfaces before the rim of your glass.

Most landlords will not use a customers own glass they will dispense the drink into a house glass then it’s up to the customer to put it into his (or hers) own container.

Interesting fact with regard to head or no head on the beer drinkers from the Burton upon Trent area normally do not like a head on their beer, it always looks flat to me.

Interesting fact with regard to head or no head on the beer drinkers from the Burton upon Trent area normally do not like a head on their beer, it always looks flat to me.

As a Sheffield lad I always used to like a pint with a good head on it.

But then I went down south and sampled some of their beers.

Not having a head makes them look flat and unappealing, - but some of them taste fantastic and are really good.

Then me and Stuart both made home brewed beer for a while, - you can get a head on it but it isn't easy to get it to keep its head for very long, - certainly not until you have finished drinking it and still have the head left in the bottom of the glass.

So these days head or no head makes no difference to me, - I just enjoy a good beer however it is served.

It’s all down to what type of dispenser you use.

Hand pulled beer should have a glass that’s one pint, or half, full up to the top. So to ensure it’s as full as possible with or without a head the beer is allowed to flow over the top and is collected on the drip tray. If the same glass is used again then the dispensing head and the liquid, beer or larger, could be contaminated. Worse still if the spilt beer is recycled then the whole barrel will be contaminated. Also remember that spilt beer has also passed over the bar staff’s hand adding to the risk of contamination.

Yes, that makes good sense.

If I have a hand pulled pint of Guiness I never use the same glass and always get another one.

...and most pubs serve Guiness in Guiness glasses, - with the harp logo on, and not in any old pint pot.

As a Sheffield lad I always used to like a pint with a good head on it.

But then I went down south and sampled some of their beers.

Not having a head makes them look flat and unappealing, - but some of them taste fantastic and are really good.

Then me and Stuart both made home brewed beer for a while, - you can get a head on it but it isn't easy to get it to keep its head for very long, - certainly not until you have finished drinking it and still have the head left in the bottom of the glass.

So these days head or no head makes no difference to me, - I just enjoy a good beer however it is served.

Seeing that you and Stuart are experts on beer, may I suggest that the pair of you pose as potential buyers of the Elm Tree, armed with your camera and video - sure you could pull it off with your knowledge he he

Seeing that you and Stuart are experts on beer, may I suggest that the pair of you pose as potential buyers of the Elm Tree, armed with your camera and video - sure you could pull it off with your knowledge he he

If we did that I am sure we you would get to know on the news about our arrest and trial for selling home brewed beer in a boozer without an excise licence. :o

If we did that I am sure we you would get to know on the news about our arrest and trial for selling home brewed beer in a boozer without an excise licence. :o

Any further developments with The Elm Tree?? :blink:

Any further developments with The Elm Tree?? :blink:

Not yet, its still boarded up, for sale at £155,000

You could buy it suzy ;-)

If you could afford to live in those posh new houses on the site of "XYZ" School then surely the knock down price on the Elm tree is cheaper <_<

Not yet, its still boarded up, for sale at £155,000

You could buy it suzy ;-)

If you could afford to live in those posh new houses on the site of "XYZ" School then surely the knock down price on the Elm tree is cheaper <_<

Hey Richard, isn't Sheffield a fantastic place.

You can buy a big pub for only £155,000

..and it has got schools which are listed under the Official Secrets Act :o

lol lol

Any more news on the dear old Elm Tree????? B)

No not on the Elm Tree,

But did you know that a certain school which hasn't existed for several years and which you used to live on the site of is now an officially listed TOP SECRET school and now has to be referred to as "XYZ" School? lol

No not on the Elm Tree,

But did you know that a certain school which hasn't existed for several years and which you used to live on the site of is now an officially listed TOP SECRET school and now has to be referred to as "XYZ" School? lol

Not allowed to call it a School, its a "Temporary, Spot-enabled establishment of an educational-ilk" from now on !

Not allowed to call it a School, its a "Temporary, Spot-enabled establishment of an educational-ilk" from now on !

The TOP SECRET Temporary, Spot-enabled establishment of an educational-ilk identified only as XYZ :blink:

Seeing as both me and suzy, and a few others, know where this establishment was, how many years secrecy order is it under so that we know how long we have got to keep our gobs shut for. :rolleyes:

Don't remember signing for this on the official secrets act lol