Sheffield Map from 1870ish

Guest Jeremy

From Black's guide to England and Wales published in 1874. The map was out of date at the time of publication as it doesn't show the new Midland Railway station that opened in 1870. It does, however, show St Mark's church in Broomhill, which suggests a late 1860s date.

I like the way Howard Road stops then there is a gap before the un-named South Road continues; no sign of St Mary's (St Mary's - 1869/1870 ?? Date stone somewhere on the building).

Greenhow Street was known as Green Street at the time.

Google books has quite a few editions of the Blacks guide. This map appears (unaltered so far as I can tell) in all of the 1870s editions, finally being updated in the 1881 edition. There doesn't appear to be any map of Sheffield in the 1850s editions. Google only gives access to one 1860s edition—1862—unfortunately the map is folded in the scan, so there isn't much to go on. Could this map be as early as 1862?

Jeremy

Google books has quite a few editions of the Blacks guide. This map appears (unaltered so far as I can tell) in all of the 1870s editions, finally being updated in the 1881 edition. There doesn't appear to be any map of Sheffield in the 1850s editions. Google only gives access to one 1860s edition—1862—unfortunately the map is folded in the scan, so there isn't much to go on. Could this map be as early as 1862?

Jeremy

It could be 1862. It shows Burgreave Cemetery which was concecrate on March 16, 1861. The first "Resident" arrived about a week later.

On the other hand, Park Iron Works at Norfolk Bridge (alongside the river at the corner of Foley St. and Leveson St.) is not shown. Davy Brothers bought the site from Boothe & Co.(?) and moved there from Millsands c1842. It was interesting to see this general area refered to as "Long Island". Never heard that one before.

Regards

From Black's guide to England and Wales published in 1874. The map was out of date at the time of publication as it doesn't show the new Midland Railway station that opened in 1870. It does, however, show St Mark's church in Broomhill, which suggests a late 1860s date.

attachicon.gifSheffield_Map_1870.jpg

Does it show 'Sta' underneath 'Park'? - It is intriguing that South Road stops between Fir Street and Hadfield St, surely there was an access path at least? This is a time i am interested in and it is fascinating to see what existed and what didn't!

Occupation Road and Tom Cross Lane both still in existence.

Now "Burngreave Road" & "Brunswick Road" respectevly, Brunswick Road known localy as "Champs Hill"

The 1st Whitehouse Freehold land Society, which included Cundy Street and Industry Street, was inviting tenders for the building of the streets in 1857. The first mention of Cundy St I can find in the newspapers was in 1860.

I also note - the two Cromwell Streets. Cromwell Street North as it was known became Burnaby Street (not sure when)

The bottom only of Barber Road and the unnamed streets of the Hadfield Freehold Land Society.

The first part of St Mary's church in Walkley was built in 1861 though it wasn't completed until 1869.