Brass pruning knives-TYNE-J.Howarth

Guest minyork

Guest minyork

Hello all,

I just found this site whilst trying to research a couple of knives that I own.

I have 2 brass pruning knives by J (James I presume) Howarth. They both marked TYNE on the scales, I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on them as I can't find much out about them, particularly why they are marked TYNE. Pictures are below, they are 3 1/4" long closed and 5 1/2" opened. One has a clear makers mark "J HOWARTH SHEFFIELD ENGLAND" in plain lettering. The other is somewhat worn, obviously well used, and has a slightly fancier mark in a circular or oval cartouche.

Any info greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance

Mark

Incidentally I worked for many years in the hand tool trade in Sheffield so I'll try and help out where I can with any queries about hand tools etc....

or ...

Against this background business continued to flourish and in 1922 James Howarth and Sons of Bath Street, another leading manufacturer of edge tools and joiners tools, who had been a supplier to Robert Sorby was acquired. Then in 1923 Robert Sorby and Sons itself was bought by Hattersley and Davidson, a Sheffield enineering company.

------------------

Source, click here for more.

Apologies; I've had to paste this text into here, the original background was doing my eyes in - original source : http://www.btinternet.com/~roy.pettit/Jame...warth_Story.htm

James Howarth was born on the 19 December 1811 into a typical hard working family.

At the age of 12years he began working as a second hand or striker alongside his father William who was employed as an edge toolmaker by Mitchell Brothers in Furnival St.Sheffield.

James was obviosly a devout Christian, as by his nineteenth birthday he is recorded as being a lay preacher at his local Wesleyan Methodist chapel.

In 1832 James was promoted to works manager at the age of 24 and two years later in 1835 went into partnership with Henry Taylor establishing the business of Taylor and Howarth in Fitzwilliam Street, Broomhall, Sheffield. They became principal manufacturers of light edge tools, restricted in the first instance to the home markets but the trade of the firm rapidly extended until they had direct business connections with leading continental states such as Canada, Australia, China and other distant markets. The partenship with Henry Taylor was dissolved in 1842.

James Howarth and sons went on to become exhibitors at the London Exhibitions 1851 and 1862 and at Paris in 1855, received on each occasion prize medals of the first class. The Universal Society for the encouragement of Arts and Industry founded in 1851 reported on the goods exhibited at Paris. This society awarded its first class prize medal to Mr. Howarth for excellence of his tools electing him an honorary Vice President of the Society an honour paid to no other British Manufacturer.

In 1857 joiners tools were added to there line after moving to Bath Street at Broom Spring works, Sheffield.

In 1863 the firm became James Howarth and Sons.

A steel devision was set up in Eyre Street Sheffield and had a high reputation for there steel quality James howarth and his sons were all practical men and personally supervised all departments of there manufacture giving the closest attention to the general workmanship as well as to setting and finishing. The cutting edge tools they made were from one of the best iron and steel produced while joiners tools such as squares, bevels, spokeshaves, gauges etc. were made chiefly of ebony and other expensive woods combined with brass and or steel. The manufacture of skates was also one of the special features of Howarth's business.

They made hammers from one ounce to twenty five pounds in the most infinite variety of shape to meet the most varied requirements. Using the very best materials and employing the most skilled labour Howarth produced goods of the very highest standard and had the reputation in the most distant markets.

Upon the death of James Howarth the firm was managed by his four sons James, Sammual, Edwin and John Howarth. The firm was discontinued in 1913 and there mark was aquired by Robert Sorby and Sons in 1922.

Guest minyork

Wow!!

What a quick response and excellent info, thank you!

I would assume then that the knife marked simply J HOWARTH would be dated pre 1863 given that the '& sons' is not present.

Any info on why 'TYNE' is impressed would be great, I was wondering whether these were made for a specific company. The only other examples I have come across are here TYNE pruning knives and some were made by Wolstenholme using the IXL mark but also 'branded' TYNE.

Anyway, thank you very much for the info so far :-)

Mark

Guest Smiling-Knife

Wow!!

What a quick response and excellent info, thank you!

I would assume then that the knife marked simply J HOWARTH would be dated pre 1863 given that the '& sons' is not present.

Any info on why 'TYNE' is impressed would be great, I was wondering whether these were made for a specific company. The only other examples I have come across are here TYNE pruning knives and some were made by Wolstenholme using the IXL mark but also 'branded' TYNE.

Anyway, thank you very much for the info so far :-)

Mark

Hi Mark,

I think the knife was likely made in the 1950s/60s. This Wostenholm TYNE knife appears in an early 60s catalogue. I haven't been able to track down the origin or relevance of the name. As a general rule, any knife with England in the stamp was made 1891 or thereafter.

Guest minyork

Thanks guys for the great info. I did think they were a little older than the 60's, then again they do look as though they have done a lot of pruning and are well worn but very sharp and the springs are great! Just goes to show the quality of Sheffield cutlers!.

Picked one of these TYNE pruning knives up,

made by what looks like C.E.Slinn & Co. Sheffield, there was a C. Slinn & Co.spring knife manuf. at Fitzwilliam Lane 1925