What type of bus?

vox

​The routes to Chesterfield via Frecheville were 62 and 64 which had different routings between Eckington and Chesterfield. These were jointly operated by Sheffield Corporation, Chesterfield Corporation and East Midland.

Due to the running time being inconvenient for an hourly service I think they interworked with route 26 to Killamarsh, which would have meant Chesterfield and East MIdland buses on that route through Frecheville as well.

​I remember this type of bus on the Sheffield to Chesterfield via Dronfield service. I thought they were peculiar to Chesterfield as the ones I remember were in Chesterfield colours. After seeing a car transporter stuck under the Dronfield railway bridge I assumed that this bridge was the reason for the design. 

​I remember this type of bus on the Sheffield to Chesterfield via Dronfield service. I thought they were peculiar to Chesterfield as the ones I remember were in Chesterfield colours. After seeing a car transporter stuck under the Dronfield railway bridge I assumed that this bridge was the reason for the design. 

​Chesterfield Transport appears to have had a particular need for 'lowbridge' buses.  The book 'Tramlines to Fleetlines' records deliveries of sunken gangway variants continuing until 1961.  Four of these were Leyland Atlanteans delivered in 1960.

The Sheffield - Chesterfield via Dronfield routes converted to one man operation c1972 and as the 'lowbridge' Atlanteans were not so fitted any use of 'lowbridge' buses on those routes must pre-date that,  That being said, I too have recollections of Chesterfield 'lowbridge' buses on those routes.  The book 'Tramlines to Fleetlines' mentions that the 'lowbridge' Atlanteans were normally used on routes which did not have low bridges so I suspect it was possibly the use of those 'Old rider' and I recall.  

I am sure that I once read that the requirement for lowbridge buses was due to the old depot and that it was the move to Stonegravels which removed that requirement.

I could be imagining that, though, as I can't recall where I read it.

Further delving into 'Tramlines to Fleetlines' indicates that the requirement for 'low bridge' buses was the need to pass under several low bridges.  Apparently the first 'high bridge' buses came in 1957 which was seven years before the new depot opened.  Perhaps though there were restrictions in them going into certain parts of the old depot.  Also mentions that the roadways beneath the railway bridges in Hollis Lane and Lordsmill Street were lowered in about 1962 with the last 'low bridge' buses arriving soon after. 

Guest sammyopisite

The low bridge on the Upton 70 route was after leaving Wombwell as a normal double decker could duplicate to Wombwell in busy times but no  further

I used to bus-spot avidly at Pond Street while awaiting the 102 on my journey home from King Ted's circa 1961-62. I recall these side-gangway buses being on routes 6 and 15.

Johnm, I don't think a holiday firm would get many takers for a caravan named "Pedo" these days!

I used to catch the 512 to Chesterfield in the late 60's.They used dark green Leyland Atlantean's which had the back three levels of seating upstairs in the 4 bench seat arrangement. Why was that?

I used to catch the 512 to Chesterfield in the late 60's.They used dark green Leyland Atlantean's which had the back three levels of seating upstairs in the 4 bench seat arrangement. Why was that?

Presume you are recalling the four 'low height'  Leyland Atlanteans mentioned earlier in this thread.