Sheffield Made

RichardB

I am very well zorro. How are you? You are correct. Richartz made knives in Solingen from circa 1900 and continued there after. The whale was one the trademarks along with the lamp post. Stephan Richartz started the company in Sheffield in 1932 and his brother Paul joined him in 1937. The named changed to Richards just before the WWII for obvious reasons. Thus, there are Richards and Richartz with whales and lamposts if that makes sense. The knife was made for export, and most likely the US. If it was made for the domestic market, there would be no need to mark it with the country of manufacture.

OOH I just love this! Once again you are right on the money! Just going to make a brew then I'll post those multitool pics. Cheers mate.

Guest Smiling-Knife

OOH I just love this! Once again you are right on the money! Just going to make a brew then I'll post those multitool pics. Cheers mate.

I just poured a brandy :blink: so looking forward to more knife chat. Looking forward to your multi-tool.

[attachmen

t

=4520:100_0304.jpg]H

e

re you go Smiling knife, very good build quality but not a manufacturers mark to be seen anywhere! I think it is quite old based purely on the style of the fork, as I recall my granny having a set of cutlery whose forks had the same distinctive shoulder? above the tines, but that may just be wishfull thinking on my part! It cost me the princely sum of 90p! Take care my friend, I'll rumage in my box of knives this weekend and see if I can find anything interesting for you! lol

Guest Smiling-Knife

I know that knife. Have one almost just like it. It was made in Japan no idea re the company circa 1970s I believe.

p.s., just fetched mine. It does not have a fork or spoon like your's so mine is a smaller version.

I know that knife. Have one almost just like it. It was made in Japan no idea re the company circa 1970s I believe.

So much for my grannies cutlery! I realy do need to get a grip! :blink: :blink:

Guest Smiling-Knife

So much for my grannies cutlery! I realy do need to get a grip! :blink: :blink:

Sorry to bring you down. Maybe this will cheer you up a little. Early 1900s multi-tool including a cigar fork, button hook and fancy middle spring.

Sorry to bring you down. Maybe this will cheer you up a little. Early 1900s multi-tool including a cigar fork, button hook and fancy middle spring.

Now THATS a knife! I've got a russian penknife with a cigar fork, and untill now I had assumed it was for spearing sausages!!! :unsure:

Guest Smiling-Knife

As we are on the subject of smoking knives... this one is similar but with a chequered mother of pearl handle. There was once a flat metal disc attached to the hinge at the left end. It would be extended to the end of the handle and then swivel out to serve as a pipe tamper. Most sadly, it is missing.

Zorro your multi has the name Prescott & Milner, I am researching Prescotts/Prestons in Prescot Lancs is there a connection? Where did they trade in Sheffield? Haven't heard of them.

By the way great knives everyone loving this thread. :wub:

Guest Smiling-Knife

I am interested to know about Prescott & Milner too. So far I haven't found anything on this company.

Zorro your multi has the name Prescott & Milner, I am researching Prescotts/Prestons in Prescot Lancs is there a connection? Where did they trade in Sheffield? Haven't heard of them.

By the way great knives everyone loving this thread. :wub:

Thanks for info; would that be the manufacturer or a generic description?

Can anyone shed any light on the inscription on this knife? NORTHERN COMMAND INTER UNIT CUP FINAL RUNNERS UP 1943 My best guess is the RAF fighter northern command. the date also raises the question of production of domestic penknives for civilians during the war years, or it could have been pre war stock. Any ideas?

Guest Smiling-Knife

Interesting knife zorro. Sorry I don't know about that one. It could be an older knife that was engraved for the occasion. :unsure:

Interesting knife zorro. Sorry I don't know about that one. It could be an older knife that was engraved for the occasion. :unsure:

Ok my friend, we'll see if anyone else can come up with any info on that one. This should be easier, who or where was TRAFALGAR WORKS , and have you (or anyone else) any idea as to the age of this little chap? Come on smiling knife my monies on you! lol

Guest Smiling-Knife

I've heard of the Trafalgar Works somewhere but the details allude me at the moment. I'll see what I can find and get back to you.

Hi Smiling-Knife Here you are some photos of Trafalgar Works.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glam-girl/2224126796/

thats so poignant. I spent a couple of years stripping out old closed down factories and sometimes I'd find an old photo tucked away in a corner or a farewell message scrawled on a wall and it brought home the sense of peoples lives being lived out at work.

Guest Smiling-Knife

Thanks for the interesting link syrup... much appreciated.

John Milner was based at Trafalgar Works until 1905. The trade mark was 'Intrinsic' After then, the most I can find is that the Trafalgar Works seemed to be home to a number of little mesters. That knife could very well be circa 1900 in my opinion. Thats all I have for now. Have a great evening.

Guest Smiling-Knife

Hi Zorro. I'd say German made. Long nickle bolsters with steel pins. Will look-up AR this evening and get back to you.

Looked for AR and could only find American Razor Company. Obviously not it. I'm at a dead end for now. I think I'll start a list because I often find things when I am looking for something completely different.

Hi Zorro. I'd say German made. Long nickle bolsters with steel pins. Will look-up AR this evening and get back to you.

Looked for AR and could only find American Razor Company. Obviously not it. I'm at a dead end for now. I think I'll start a list because I often find things when I am looking for something completely different.

know that feeling......its the only time I can find anything, trouble is by then I've forgot why I was looking for it in the first place! :blink:

In the early 60's my father in law led an expedition to the east coast in search of the fabled golden sands of ingoldmels. Unfortunately his compass was off and they made coastfall a couple of miles south, but undeterred, and never a man to miss an oportunity, he decided to put up his tent next to an apparently abandoned prisoner of war camp. Imagine his surprise the next morning when he discovered that in fact this maximum security facility was still in use, and not only that, it was a mixed sex camp and the inmates had been allowed to breed! He aproached the security fence with some trepidation, and attempted to communicate with the poor unfortunate wretches, but when he asked them where they origionally came from the only replies he got were "lestoh" and "sheff". At this point several security guards aproached him and he was invited to go away, and sensing an air of hostility made a tactical withdrawal to the south, where he stumbled onto a midden. It was decided to hold an impromptu archaeological dig in the hope of furthering civilizations knowledge of this mysterious corner of the british isles, and within minutes artifacts started to appear! Soon there was a glint of silver and various eating utensils were rapidly hurled into the back of his two tone (underseal and rust) cresta. Pausing only to load the dog, kids wife and tent he returned home and thus the legend of the skeggy hoard was born. Last christmass my better half was re-enacting the annual where did I hide the tree search in the attic when she emmitted a shriek of joy, something that has not been heard upstairs or indeed anywhere else in our house for many a long year, and rushed excitedly down to present me with an old tattered box containing her family heirlooms, which I opened with shaking hands. There, nestling amongst parchment and velum final demands from various utility companies was this exquisite matching set of mastication fascilitators which I proudly offer up for your edification and delight. There is a makers mark etched on the blade of the cutting impliment, but I cannot quite make it out. If anyone has any ideas as to the history and value of this fabulous matching set please post a reply. lol

Don't know if this was made in sheff, only mark visible is "DEPOSE"? near pivot. :huh: Anyone out there know anything about hookers?